Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM

101 posts, read 220,045 times

Advertisements

"The message they gave us loud and clear was 'If you have to raise taxes, do it,' " said Sharon Bulova, chairwoman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. " 'We don't want to see the quality of education and other services decrease.' "

Counties brace for brutal cuts to schools, police, parks | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Region_s-residents-face-major-cuts-in-service_-higher-taxes-87524377.html - broken link)

I guess she didn't get the memo that McDonnell got voted in b/c he promised to lower taxes and cut government spending.

Sharon, go figure out how to do more with less....that's your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,884,201 times
Is it just me, or does Sharon Bulova bear a realllly uncanny resemblance to Glenn Close in this photo?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,687,713 times
The buck stops at Bulova's door. Just about everything we take for granted in our everyday lives is provided by the County government, NOT the State. Bobby doesn't care if we call the cops and nobody shows up....heck, he's on his way to the airport to fly to his next top-secret RNC function...

Anyway, I wish Mrs Bulova luck...she's between a rock and a hard place. She's a great lady who assisted me many times when she was Annandale supervisor.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
The buck stops at Bulova's door. Just about everything we take for granted in our everyday lives is provided by the County government, NOT the State. Bobby doesn't care if we call the cops and nobody shows up....heck, he's on his way to the airport to fly to his next top-secret RNC function...

Anyway, I wish Mrs Bulova luck...she's between a rock and a hard place. She's a great lady who assisted me many times when she was Annandale supervisor.
WRT to Bobby, I guess that's no different than what Craig "Mr. Deeds" would have done once he figured out what he wanted to do/sell, or Tim "full time DNC chairman/sometime governor" Kaine did.

I guess Bulova's MO is to buck the trend of what every other sane leader is doing which is to cut fat from budgets when times are tough rather than raise taxes to fund a bloated budget carried over from the boom times.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,958,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerr8 View Post
"The message they gave us loud and clear was 'If you have to raise taxes, do it,' " said Sharon Bulova, chairwoman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. " 'We don't want to see the quality of education and other services decrease.' "

Counties brace for brutal cuts to schools, police, parks | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Region_s-residents-face-major-cuts-in-service_-higher-taxes-87524377.html - broken link)

I guess she didn't get the memo that McDonnell got voted in b/c he promised to lower taxes and cut government spending.

Sharon, go figure out how to do more with less....that's your job.
OMG, where did she get THAT message?! She can't believe in this economy that citizens are asking for a tax increase! When do citizens EVER ask the BOS for a tax increase?!
Looks like Sharon will be a one term wonder. Say goodbye Sharon. You're toast because you're clueless.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Is it just me, or does Sharon Bulova bear a realllly uncanny resemblance to Glenn Close in this photo?
Yes, Glenn Close will start in the movie about the democrat who rose to lead a huge county only to fall very quickly when she actually believed that people wanted their taxes raised during a recession to pay for a bloated educational bureaucracy. Hilarity ensues!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
OMG, where did she get THAT message?! She can't believe in this economy that citizens are asking for a tax increase! When do citizens EVER ask the BOS for a tax increase?!
Looks like Sharon will be a one term wonder. Say goodbye Sharon. You're toast because you're clueless.
Fairfax County Schools is actually sending flyers home with kids that have websites that encourage parents to contact their county supervisor to beg them to raise taxes to the maximum advertised tax rate (one beyond equalization).

Hmmm, I wonder why. There's no conflict of interest there.

In any regard, those who do not want their taxes raised, or even for those who do, you can send your sentiments to Sharon here:

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/gov/bos/cforms/bc_feedback.asp (broken link)

Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Flyers like that are illegal. And disgusting. It is illegal to use kids as political messengers. You might want to send those flyers to Pat Herrity. He's on the board of Supervisors and running for Congress. My guess is that Pat would have plenty to say about our public schools using our children in that illegal manner.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:18 PM

361 posts, read 738,381 times
Hate to see them cut the heart out of good programs -- especially since people lose their jobs this way.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM

There is no reason for them to cut programs. They CHOOSE to do that, rather than reduce their own ranks and cut some of those thousands of administrators at Gatehouse. Half of them could go and no one would notice or care. Same for the EIGHT cluster offices around the county. No one has any clue what those people do. If they all disappeared tomorrow, no parent or student would notice a difference. How about they just cut them in half. Wouldn't 4 cluster offices be enough, along with the huge Gatehouse building and the other 5 administrator offices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia