Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:49 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanie View Post
Hi,
My daughter recieved score of 121 for Naglieri test which is 90 percentile.
And her CogAt score is in 99 percentile. She got into the GT pool but I don't think her teacher has any high regard about her abilities. Judging from the first parent-teacher conference.
Would the committee decision based on the teacher's recommendation.
The teacher will fill out a Gifted Behaviors Rating Scale (GBRS) and a narrative. The "GBRS" has four areas in which the teacher will rate your child. The rankings are on a scale of 1-4 and reflect how often the child demonstrates various behaviors. Ideally, a GT candidate (now known as AAP) will not only have high test scores, but will also demonstrate exceptional ability in the classroom. A child might have the ability, but if it is not demonstrated then it is likely that she could score low on the "GBRS". The committee's decision would not be based solely on the teacher's recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
But you should consider carefully, and honestly, whether a GT placement would be in your child's best interests. His teacher can give you some feedback on that issue. The ultimate decision is out of your hands, of course, and you should be aware that, given his scores, it's probably a long shot.

eh. only if the current teacher can give you inside info on the GT teacher your kid will have, which makes all the difference. There are some really awful teachers in FFX county GT programs (or there were when DD did GT in 5th and 6th grade a few years ago).

There are SOME folks in FCPS GT who realize GT kids learn DIFFERENTLY. There are still many who think they just need MORE homework.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
There are still many who think they just need MORE homework.
That's a shame. That is definitely NOT the way it is supposed to be.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 46,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The teacher will fill out a Gifted Behaviors Rating Scale (GBRS) and a narrative. The "GBRS" has four areas in which the teacher will rate your child. The rankings are on a scale of 1-4 and reflect how often the child demonstrates various behaviors. Ideally, a GT candidate (now known as AAP) will not only have high test scores, but will also demonstrate exceptional ability in the classroom. A child might have the ability, but if it is not demonstrated then it is likely that she could score low on the "GBRS". The committee's decision would not be based solely on the teacher's recommendation.
Thank you for the explanation. This is our first CogAT and GT experience.
We are not even sure if it is the best choice for her.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Very good explanation (teacher, right?). I've sat on the school level committees (not the county level) and it is a committee collaborative effort, looking at the GBRS, the narrative, the actual scores, as well as imput from the parents too. Once a teacher is sitting there they also get a perspective of their scoring to others as well, so it all seems to level out. Also, once the county level decision is made, the parent can always appeal that if they wish. If there is a score above 130, which gets them into the pool, and the other scores are very near that too, then the chances are good to move on. BUT, even if accepted into the AAP level 4 (the center base) please be sure to look at it with your child carefully before deciding. I know families that could send their children but haven't for a variety of reasons.

To me, the issue is making sure the child is being challenged. After elementary school, middle school now has open honors, meaning the child can take an honors course, no matter if they had been in a center or AAP program or not. Same is true for high school honors and AP courses. If the student is challenged, and motivated, they will succeed.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Very good explanation (teacher, right?). I've sat on the school level committees (not the county level) and it is a committee collaborative effort, looking at the GBRS, the narrative, the actual scores, as well as imput from the parents too. Once a teacher is sitting there they also get a perspective of their scoring to others as well, so it all seems to level out. Also, once the county level decision is made, the parent can always appeal that if they wish. If there is a score above 130, which gets them into the pool, and the other scores are very near that too, then the chances are good to move on. BUT, even if accepted into the AAP level 4 (the center base) please be sure to look at it with your child carefully before deciding. I know families that could send their children but haven't for a variety of reasons.

To me, the issue is making sure the child is being challenged. After elementary school, middle school now has open honors, meaning the child can take an honors course, no matter if they had been in a center or AAP program or not. Same is true for high school honors and AP courses. If the student is challenged, and motivated, they will succeed.
Yes, and if I understand correctly, the child is in an immersion program. I teach in a school with an immersion program and have had families decide to remain in the program rather than go to an AAP center because they thought the language posed a unique challenge in itself. Also, if the child qualifies for the center and you choose not to go, they could stay with the immersion program and still received school based AAP services.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Mm
Quote:
Yes, and if I understand correctly, the child is in an immersion program. I teach in a school with an immersion program and have had families decide to remain in the program rather than go to an AAP center because they thought the language posed a unique challenge in itself. Also, if the child qualifies for the center and you choose not to go, they could stay with the immersion program and still received school based AAP services.
And, if they qualify for center, level 4, and don't go in elementary school they remain eligible and can pull that "card" in order to go to the GT program in middle school. I've seen that happen too. But that can create another whole social issueof joining a group that has been together for several years.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 32,751 times
There is always the debate as whether to prepare or not for these tests. I didn't for my older child. She belongs in the program but we let it slide for various reasons. But I am preparing my younger one for Cogat in Grade 2. He is doing critical thinking problems from this book called '4 Practice Tests for Cogat' which has tons of questions and keeps his occupied for an hr a day this summer. I love the book. It is great value for money. He enjoys doing it, so, I don't feel like a pushy parent or anything.

Sometimes, we worry too much about being pushy that we don't give them a chance at the right opportunites. We regret it for my older one. He is bored in his current school and our recommendations didnt get him into the GT program. He is old enough now that he says he wants to be retested!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
another dead thread resurrected.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,525 times
I know this is old but I'm curious. is it different between Loudoun and Fairfax county schools? I can't find my kids CogAT scores but they both did very well, although I thought I read that they had to be at least 96 or 97 percentile in at least two categories in order to be placed in the GT pool. My daughter had scores that were around 98, 75 and 95...so I assume she just misses by that 95 not being higher. No one has said anything to me, I don't really care, just want to understand what it all meansw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia