Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 15,654 times

Advertisements

HEY ALL,
In about 4 months I will be starting a new job with US Gov. that said, my income is average. My wife and I are looking for an apartment or townhouse no more than 1,000 a month with 2br/2bt, we have two girls 7/9 so good school is a ++. I don't mind the commute as long as good neighborhood. All your input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Northern Virginia! My husband works for the U.S. Gov't. We've lived up here three different times. We decided to try Maryland this time just to see what it was like. Huge Mistake! We left the day our lease was up and moved to Northern Virginia. We've lived all over this country and overseas. Germantown, Maryland is the only place we've ever lived that we truly felt like we could not stay in.

Where are you going to be working? We live in Burke (Fairfax County) and LOVE IT! Our neighborhood is pretty much all military and government.

Schools are fantastic. My elementary kids go to King's Park/King's Glen. My high school kids go to Lake Braddock. I have kids in the elementary and high schools. We couldn't be happier with the schools!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I think you will have a tough time finding a rental price for $1000 in Fairfax County. You are at least going to have to go to Prince William to get that and the neighborhood at that price just won't be good at all. Not sure what the rentals are like in Stafford and points farther south. $1000 for anything is pretty cheap for rent around here and may be hard to find. I believe 2 bedroom apartments in Woodbridge are more than that. I don't know that you see any sort of improvement in Maryland.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
$1000 a month for a 2/2 seems really low. I tried doing a search and couldn't come up with anything in Prince William or Stafford. Of course, the stock in Stafford would have fewer to choose from anyhow. Could you go up just a couple of hundred a month? I did see a few that looked nice in the Lake Ridge area of Prince William Co.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
You will have to up your rent range to at least $1200 to get an "okay" 2BR apt in in Fairfax County. $1500-1800 would get you something above-average. I agree that you will have better luck in Prince William County or Stafford but it will test your willingness to commute; driving on I-95 is not fun...and for the cost of the Virginia Railway Express, you may as well have paid more rent further north. That said, Lake Ridge, as tgbwc suggested, does get a lot of positive press here.

The alternative would be to look for condo rentals. Those can run less than apartment complexes, but you'll have to do due diligence on the owner's situation.

EDIT: You would be better to ask the people on the MD forum but I'm fairly certain that you could find a 2BR apt in Prince Georges County. But there would be a trade-off in the perception of where that would be found (primarily inner suburbs) and the schools are generally not regarded very well.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,782 times
Yuck. I would do just about anything to avoid Maryland. But the other posters are correct. I didn't even notice your rent range when I read your post. You'll have to go higher in most of Fairfax.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Yuck. I would do just about anything to avoid Maryland. But the other posters are correct. I didn't even notice your rent range when I read your post. You'll have to go higher in most of Fairfax.
thanks for the good information. with what you said i will be looking on the fairfax area. AGAIN thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You will have to up your rent range to at least $1200 to get an "okay" 2BR apt in in Fairfax County. $1500-1800 would get you something above-average. I agree that you will have better luck in Prince William County or Stafford but it will test your willingness to commute; driving on I-95 is not fun...and for the cost of the Virginia Railway Express, you may as well have paid more rent further north. That said, Lake Ridge, as tgbwc suggested, does get a lot of positive press here.

The alternative would be to look for condo rentals. Those can run less than apartment complexes, but you'll have to do due diligence on the owner's situation.

EDIT: You would be better to ask the people on the MD forum but I'm fairly certain that you could find a 2BR apt in Prince Georges County. But there would be a trade-off in the perception of where that would be found (primarily inner suburbs) and the schools are generally not regarded very well.
THANKS I will start looking for one at 1200. it sounds like Fairfax is a good county concerning school for the girls. I would love to get an above average but since I'll start with Fed Gov't begin low.

Thanks to ALL for the info, if you got any other good ones I will appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia