Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,075 times

Advertisements

We will be moving up from Texas this summer. My husband will be working at the Pentagon and I am just looking to find some advice on where to live. We don't mind living in an apartment at first and my husband plans on taking public transportation to work. I will be staying at home with out daughter and we are also currently expecting a child in October. We are looking at spending no more than $1500 but can spend more if needed. I just want somewhere that is safe and won't make my husband have a huge commute daily. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,709 times
Burke! I am always Burke's biggest cheerleader! We live in a great neighborhood in Burke. Most of our neighbors are either military or Government. There is a Pentagon Express Bus that stops right on the corner. The military guys jump on the Bus and the Government guys get on the VRE.

Great schools! Great neighborhoods! Very, very safe! And an easy commute if you use public transportation.

Renting a house would be out of your budget. But there are a lot of townhouses. I would poke around on line and see what you can find.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM

845 posts, read 2,326,976 times
Townhouse in West Springfield--you might be cutting it close on price, but it will be way, way smarter than a larger house in the Woodbridge area, which will be tempting if you look at a map.
Burke would get my vote, also. When I worked at the Pentagon, I slugged from 22150, which was way better than the bus. There may still be a slug line at Rolling Valley Mall, which would be Burke. Think Old Keene Mill Rd.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
For the OP, a definition of "slugging" can be found here:

Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC

Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM

37 posts, read 70,359 times
I recommend Shirlington House rental apartment in Arlington, VA (located right off I395). I'm currently subletting for a month while my home is renovated. I'm told this is one of the better managed rental apartments. The management is very helpful and friendly. The neighborhood is safe. It's a very short walk to the bus termimal with buses to the Pentagon metro or directly to the Pentagon (a slightly longer route). It's a short walk to Shirlington Village with lots of restaurants, a movie theater, library, and just past Shirlington Village is the Four Mile Run biking, walking trail. Another option is a rental at Fairlington Village (a short drive from Shirlington House). Fairlington Village consist of condo apartments and townhouses. You'll probably need a real estate agent to help you find a rental there. A co-worker lives there and he tells me there are plenty of buses that will take you to the Pentagon.

Last edited by JP7262; 03-21-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia