Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,121 times

Advertisements

Hello, We recently found out we will be moving to the DC Area. My husband will be working at the Pentagon and I would like some areas to start looking. We have 3 small children and 2 dogs. Most likely will be renting. Good Schools are a must and a yard will be needed as well. The military gives us 2600 to use for housing. Should we plan on going over or will this be do-able. I would like for that to cover utilities as well. Thanks for your help!

Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Hi, if you have read any of the public transportation threads, anywhere near the VRE has stations. Your husband can get off the train at Crystal City and ride the metro (subway) a few stations to the pentagon.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
I would also recommend you look around areas with metro or VRE stations to the Pentagon. There are also bus options but I am not too familiar with them. Some areas to consider are the Alexandria section of Fairfax county, parts of Springfield and Burke. I think you will be able to find what you are looking for in many of these areas. I live in area code 22315 and am just a few miles from the Franconia/Springfield metro station. It is a blue line and does go straight to the Pentagon. militarybyowner.com has rentals as well as homes for sale and it one site to take a look at. Here is the metro home page. Metro - Homepage Many companies offer a subsidy if you use mass transit and military members get it as well so that helps with the cost if that's applicable.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:12 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times
For your housing budget, I would suggest looking at Woodbridge/Lake Ridge. There are a lot of 4+ bedroom SFHs and Townhomes in the 22191/22192 areas that you could rent for that amount and cover utilities. I don't know how available SFHs with yards are in Fairfax County for that budget. You could certainly buy, too, but you may want to wait a year until you get to know the area better. For transit, your husband could either use the Omniride, slug, or carpool (~30 minutes each way). Driving solo in the local I-95 lanes will take longer. VRE is possible, but I would get annoyed by having to use multiple forms of transportation.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
I also say look at Burke, West Springfield, Kingstowne etc... you will be able to find a nice house with a yard in a good school system and be closer to work. That area gives you 2 commuter options, VRE or Metro. Our friends rented a great 4 bedroom in Burke in 2004 when the place was booming and didn't go above the 2600 BHA.
The market has gone down and many are looking for renters to cover cost while the market cools.

Military by owner is a great site and also use Craigs list.

here's a quick view of over 100 listings on MBO for under $2400 for 4 bedrooms commute to pentagon.
Pentagon Real Estate - Homes for Sale and Houses for Rent

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 AM

595 posts, read 2,308,536 times
One word: 22152. BTW, Wouldn'tbridge is only 10 miles further south, but the genetic differences of its residents are remarkable.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Genetic differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
One word: 22152. BTW, Wouldn'tbridge is only 10 miles further south, but the genetic differences of its residents are remarkable.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,121 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I will start looking at them. How far out should we plan on renting. Most of the rentals I am seeing are for now-dec. We are planning on moving June-July time frame. Will it get harder to rent once summer hits. Also, Arlington looks really close. Would that be a good option? The closer the better since husband will already be working long hours. We have some friends that live there. Not many, so I am wondering what the catch is? Bad schools? Too pricey? Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times
Unfortunately, for renting individual properties (as opposed to in large apartment complexes), you'll only have 6-8 weeks lead time ahead of your desired move date. Most landlords don't know about vacancies 3 months ahead of time. There will be a few available early, but selection seemed to peak around the 6-8 week mark when we moved this past spring (late few days of May). If you can't come out in late April/early May, but can visit earlier than that, you should try to connect with a good real estate agent who will get to know your needs and wants and then scout listings for you.

The only part of Arlington I'm aware of is super expensive. I doubt there are affordable, safe areas that close to DC.

Also, commute distance matters, but so does commute time. With the Pentagon located just off I-395, a 15 mile commute on the highway will take less time than 6 miles of surface streets, especially during rush hour.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mike From NIU; 10-29-2008 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: typing mistake

Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
It will pick rather fast in the time frame you are looking for. We used Militarybyowner.com. The best thing about them is those people do know when they are leaving. And some that are posted now, might still be available, as it is pretty slow now. Remember that not all people that post on it are military. But it is a great way to start. Start to look at the pictures etc that are out there now. You can only tell so much from them, but you will see what you don't like..hopefully. Look at the houses for sale in the zip you are interested in. AND if at all possible make a trip here to see what the neighborhoods are like. It can be very different from what you are used to. Not bad, just different. This is our second tour, so it was easier to narrow it down. We picked Kingstowne, for the commute, schools etc. $2600 won't get you a SF in Kingstowne, but it will get you a pretty nice TH, and maybe one with a 2 car garage. Most of the those go for about $2800+. BUT things are changing, and as mentioned people are just trying to make their mortgage or a least part of it. Some older homes in Springfield/Burke will get you a yard and garage. If you find a neighborhood, with no luck on rentals, but see houses for sale...call and ask. That is how we got ours. By next summer it might even be worse here. Homes for sale also offer more pictures and information in general about the houses, neighborhoods etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia