Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 AM

11 posts, read 22,576 times

Advertisements

Everyone has been so helpful, we really appreciate you taking the time to help us out. I have one more question - how accurate are the Google map times for traveling in NoVa? Or, perhaps an easier way to state it - how far in each direction (or which towns) could we look and keep travel time under 30 mins to Chantilly (near intersection of 50 & 28)? We've seen some things we can afford in Haymarket/Gainesville, Manassas Park, Ashburn, and Sterling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 AM

309 posts, read 830,487 times
I will say that 30 minutes or under from Bristow/Gainesville to 50/28 is not possible unless you leave really, really early. Certainly not at the height of rush hour. 45 minutes would more realistic

Old 04-05-2010, 07:43 AM

112 posts, read 854,271 times
I would agree with the other suggestion of renting a home before you decide to purchase. Maybe something short term like 6 months. By then, you'll have a good feel for the area and the traffic situation. There's no need to rush and purchase a home based on limited visits and online opinions. Everyone you speak to will have a different view point that may not match yours. You best bet is to rent a townhome or even a single home in the area you're considering. Once you move here, you can then make a more permanent decision to buy and settle down. If you want a newly built home, it will allow you the time as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 22,576 times
I agree that renting is a good idea (it was my first thought, too), but his company would pay to move us out there now, not to move us again is 6 mos. (or 1 yr.) and I think moving that soon again would also be a huge stress on our toddler, dog & cat (not to mention us!). I know, too, that if we make the decision to come out there, we aren't making it on a temporary basis. We will have to stay a few years to try it out, that is why we are visiting before we even sign the offer.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times
I don't know one way or the other if google maps' time is accurate. However, I don't trust google maps when it comes to Northern Virginia. They don't include a lot of really big communities, including some incorporated towns that have been here for more than 150 years. If you look at google maps you'd think Loudoun County was almost empty. It's not a good map program for Nova.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

309 posts, read 830,487 times
Miles don't mean much in this area for commute times. A general rule of thumb is to take your mileage and double it.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

86 posts, read 212,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I don't know one way or the other if google maps' time is accurate. However, I don't trust google maps when it comes to Northern Virginia. They don't include a lot of really big communities, including some incorporated towns that have been here for more than 150 years. If you look at google maps you'd think Loudoun County was almost empty. It's not a good map program for Nova.
hmm, which ones?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM

86 posts, read 212,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlindqui View Post
Everyone has been so helpful, we really appreciate you taking the time to help us out. I have one more question - how accurate are the Google map times for traveling in NoVa? Or, perhaps an easier way to state it - how far in each direction (or which towns) could we look and keep travel time under 30 mins to Chantilly (near intersection of 50 & 28)? We've seen some things we can afford in Haymarket/Gainesville, Manassas Park, Ashburn, and Sterling.
Gainsville would not be possible.

Sterling and Ashburn is doable, I think.
Just depends WHERE in Ashburn and WHERE in Sterling

Both are large areas, spread across miles.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post
hmm, which ones?
It's happened to me a few times. People ask about towns, so I try to find them online, but there's no record of them on Google Maps. Most recently when trying to find Round Hill. Round Hill was incorporated back in the 1800s. It's out by Waterford. But Google Maps only knows about a town near Richmond. It's come up as a topic a few times, so you can probably find the other towns by searching the word Google Maps in this forum.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM

112 posts, read 854,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlindqui View Post
I agree that renting is a good idea (it was my first thought, too), but his company would pay to move us out there now, not to move us again is 6 mos. (or 1 yr.) and I think moving that soon again would also be a huge stress on our toddler, dog & cat (not to mention us!). I know, too, that if we make the decision to come out there, we aren't making it on a temporary basis. We will have to stay a few years to try it out, that is why we are visiting before we even sign the offer.
I see what you're saying but why not ask his company to pay for storage (up to 1 yr) for your furniture and pieces you don't need. That way you can assimilate yourself to the area before you purchase? I understand you want a hassle free move but the way I see it, buying a home isn't like buying a car. If you don't like your home, you can't simply trade it in for another without closing a significant amount of money. To add to that, homes around Chantilly aren't exactly cheap. Based on your previous posts, you're looking for a home in a wide area not just Chantilly. That can have a drastic difference in commute and living space. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable in making that decision without having stayed in the area for a few months. Sure, you'll have to pay a few thousand out of pocket for another move but it's well worth it in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia