Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

OK, in case you were wondering here's proof that the kayakers at Great Falls are nuts:

This is a short clip

YouTube - Great Falls Kayak Drop

This clip is longer, and is a little rough--but the drops over the falls are astonishing. All I can say is I hope those guys had plenty of Tylenol and Ben Gay after attempting these drops!

YouTube - Kayaking Great Falls of the Potomac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Each year, a few don't make it. The videos pop up on YouTube, it rates a few minutes on the local news with photos of some upset kids and (usually) wives or other relatives. A few days/weeks later, the body is found. Meh!

Darwinism at work.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Each year, a few don't make it.
It's not quite that bad. It might be more realistic to say every few years there's a kayaker who doesn't make it... but usually those are beginners, not the kayakers who do the stunts over the falls. The ones who go to the falls generally go with groups and know what they're doing. Granted, they're nuts--I would never attempt going over the falls myself--but the ones who get into the most trouble seem to be beginners who don't respect the buoys that mark the danger zone above the falls.

Sadly, a lot of people go out on kayaks without learning how to handle them because they want to go to a special fishing spot their buddy told them about--and they paddle into dangerous areas. What's worse is the fools who want to swim in the Potomac, especially the ones who take little kids out into the middle of the river and let them swim from canoes.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 32,000 times
Default Not True

Two kayakers have died in the 20,000 year history of Great Falls. Sometimes "climbers" are also blamed for deaths, but very few to no qualified rock climbers have fallen in and drowned.

The rest of the "climbers" and others are usually ordinary pedestrians who climb along the rocks or do something otherwise dumb and just fall in. One year, two knuckleheads rented a canoe from Riverbend Park and didn't realize that the falls were there. Miraculously, they came out unscathed.

The folks in the pictures are qualified for what they are doing. From the video, you can see their skills in eddying, lining up for the drop, etc. flipping is common, and it is very deep beneath the Falls. This area hosts many expert and Olympic kayakers, and we should be proud of it. Why did the two above kayakers die? Class V is class V and accidents do happen. Both were very skilled. Probably two or more people have been killed driving to the park as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
OK, in case you were wondering here's proof that the kayakers at Great Falls are nuts:
Normie, time to 'fess up--which one is you in those videos?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Normie, time to 'fess up--which one is you in those videos?

Hahaha yah right... I'm way too lazy for that. I just paddle around the islands, looking at the birds and basking in the sun. Sometimes I bring the paper and a foo-foo drink with an umbrella in it. Now that's the way to kayak!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 32,000 times
Isn't this normie here? The Great Falls of the Potomac on Vimeo

Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willey View Post
I'm the one on the rocks taking a snooze in the upper left hand corner. Very cool video, by the way.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Each year, a few don't make it. The videos pop up on YouTube, it rates a few minutes on the local news with photos of some upset kids and (usually) wives or other relatives. A few days/weeks later, the body is found. Meh!

Darwinism at work.

Only two kayakers have not made it and of those only one body was found. I was the girlfriend of the kayaker whose body was not found(Scott Bristow - November 1998). I was devastated. Experienced kayakers die at Great Falls and on many other rivers, but this is not an example of Darwinism at work.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Only two kayakers have not made it and of those only one body was found. I was the girlfriend of the kayaker whose body was not found(Scott Bristow - November 1998). I was devastated. Experienced kayakers die at Great Falls and on many other rivers, but this is not an example of Darwinism at work.
I'm so sorry to hear that. What a sad story. I'm glad the number of kayakers drowning is lower than I thought. It seems like every few years you hear about someone drowning in the river, but the river is long. Many of the incidents happen quite far from the falls.

I guess I just assumed it was mostly kayakers who got hurt, but now that I think about it the stories I recall happened when people tried to go swimming, or fell into the river for some reason (climbing where they shouldn't climb or sometimes because they were drunk). They're all sad stories, no matter how it happens. The Potomac looks so peaceful--and it is peaceful in a boat. There's quite a current at the bottom of the river, however, so it's dangerous to swim there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia