Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM

14 posts, read 48,437 times

Advertisements

About to move to NoVa for a tech job. Friends have told me it would be crazy to try to live in Arlington and that I should instead move to Reston, but I'm 25 and personally want to be in a more vibrant area. Yes, I know Reston has the Town Center; no, that is not my idea of "vibrant" (no offense to those who think it's really cool - it's nice, but I couldn't live there). Personally I would prefer to be as close to DC as possible. I'd rather live in Clarendon or Ballston.

Google maps says I'd be looking at about a 35 minute commute, though I'm sure traffic is worse. Still, I would be commuting out against most of the traffic right?

Anyone do this commute? 66 to 267, right? Done it before? Know someone who does? Am I crazy for thinking such crazy-person thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 PM

722 posts, read 1,984,161 times
I haven't done it, but no, I don't think it's crazy at all. I would *definitely* be willing to make that tradeoff, because Arlington has some wonderful areas for people who are looking for "vibrant."

One caveat is that 66 inside the Beltway can be a beast in all directions at all times of the day, so I won't say that you're free and clear 100%. Because a ton of folks here commute suburb to suburb, the traffic flow isn't always straightforward. But generally, that is going to be just about as much of a reverse commute as you'll get in the area.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,303,379 times
I work in Herndon and drive through Arlington sometimes if I decide to go that way. It's a breeze. HOV restrictions are in the opposite direction. There's a little congestion at a couple of the on ramps but nothing too bad. Figure on no more than a 30 minute drive, depending where your office is in Herndon. You'll probably be getting off at Fairfax County Parkway, gettiing on 50 West and then turning right at Lee's Corner to Centreville Rd. It's one of the better commutes in NoVA. I'd much prefer Arlington, even with the drive, to Reston, which can seem sort of cookie cutter high rise in comparison.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,326,391 times
You should live where you think you will be happy. Having a commute is just the way of life for MANY of us here.
I suggest going to Arlington sometime before you decide at the time you would be driving and check out the commute for yourself. If it is good enough for you, then you know. If you do it and start to dread about doing it everyday, then don't do it. But I think the only way you will really know is to try it.
If I were young (well, I'm not OLD, but I do have two little kids, lol!) I would probably want to be where I could walk to the excitement too, lol!

Good luck with whatever you do!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,987,982 times
You're just renting, right? If so, then I'd go for Arlington. Yes, it's a PITA commute but not absolutely horrid.

Reston's nice, but I get the impression that you really want to try living in a place like Arlington. So, why not go for it? Try it for a year--if you find out you hate it then you can move closer to work. If you can find an apartment with a shorter rent, that might be better since you'd be trying it out.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:57 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,959,648 times
Another vote for living in Arlington. The commute should be fine (good, by NoVA standards!), and I agree that Arlington is a better place for the average 25 year old than Reston

Old 04-04-2010, 07:09 PM

182 posts, read 541,468 times
Definitely do Arlington. I lived in Reston back in 06 to be near my Chantilly job and wasn't too into it. Fast forward 4 years and I'm so glad to be back in Arlington.

If you can, leave for work before 7 or after 9AM to avoid the 66 jam at Glebe Rd. In the afternoon, if you leave before 4 or after 630 you should miss the worst of the bottlneck where the toll road meets 66. Without traffic it will take 30 mins, with traffic you're looking at at least an hour. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 PM

22 posts, read 59,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange356 View Post
Anyone do this commute? 66 to 267, right? Done it before? Know someone who does? Am I crazy for thinking such crazy-person thoughts?
I do ballston to herdon area (near dulles airport), but only one day a week or so. If you have any kind of flexibility in your morning start time you can do really well. Changing your start time just a bit later can really be a factor.

I find if I leave at 8:45, I can be in Herdon area in 30-35 minutes easy and that is taking 66 to 28, not paying the toll. When I leave at 8:30, it takes me 45 minutes to do the same thing.

When I have to leave earlier, I take the toll road. I have to deal with the 66 congestion in the morning, which is moving, but can be slow. I typically take lee highway on those days as far as possible, then only have to be on 66 for a mile or so before the 267 exit. Lee Highway has lights, but is usually moving at a normal pace, not congested (except for the backup at the exit on to 66). Unless there is an accident or something I never have much of a slow down on 267.

Going home is generally more of an issue, if I am heading back right at 5ish, the toll road is fine, but when I hit 66 it is very slow for the mile until the lee highway exit.

I only do this commute one day a week, so there may be better approaches. This works for me so far. I don't mind it, and I hate traffic.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,447,399 times
I agree with what everyone else has said. Arlington to points west is nothing like inbound DC traffic through Arlington. I would definitely live in Arlington and do the Herndon commute. I know many people who have done a Georgetown, Rosslyn, or Ballston commute to Reston or Tysons and have enjoyed the lifestyle at home more than they would have in an outer suburb.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM

9 posts, read 11,673 times
agreed with the above, commute is better than average and its in the opposite direction. i've heard arlington has been much safer lately too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia