Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 27,519 times

Advertisements

I am a 45 year old gay, married man moving to NoVA from Boston sometime this summer. I will be working at GMU (Fairfax campus). I can't stand the idea of commuting very far (30 minutes tops). Any suggestions on where we could live and feel comfortable? Our housing budget is between 350-450K. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I don't know about gay neighborhoods, but this area is VERY inclusive...Not many people care what orientation or race or whatever you may be.

I think Reston is a lovely area. Kind of trendy yet grown-up feel. Nice to walk around.

Good luck with your move! I work for a real estate team so if you need any help let me know and I can pass you their info.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
There isn't an area known as a "gay neighborhood" (as far as I know) but you shouldn't have any problems. IMO this is a very inclusive area, and (IMO) most if not all of the neighborhoods near GMU will be more or less equal as far as a gay population. So I'd pick the one that appeals to you the most. Reston and Fair Lakes are probably the most urban of the bunch, if that matters (but they're still very suburban, as is everything near GMU). We have photo tours of Fair Lakes, Reston, and Vienna, three communities you may find interesting.

Last edited by normie; 04-06-2010 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ous-areas.html

Here is a master list of the photo tours.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Normie-I have been trying to rep you for some time now but still have to "spread it around" lol! ANYWAY, I think its so great that you always go above and beyond...like links to photos

Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
not gay, nor am sure there are "gay areas" but Nova is quite liberal. Then again I don't see gay couples walking around here in Arlington like you sometimes do in Dupont Circle. I would think more of the gay areas are in DC proper, which would be less convenient for your commute

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM

132 posts, read 324,030 times
Northern Virginia is not as liberal as you think. In last year's governor race, the democratic candidate drew almost even with Bob Mcdonnell in Northern Virginia. Bob Mcdonnell already signed an executive order that eliminated sexual orientation as one of the equal opportunity factors. You would have better luck in Maryland and DC.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
Northern Virginia is not as liberal as you think. In last year's governor race, the democratic candidate drew almost even with Bob Mcdonnell in Northern Virginia. Bob Mcdonnell already signed an executive order that eliminated sexual orientation as one of the equal opportunity factors. You would have better luck in Maryland and DC.
It's true that compared to DC and perhaps MD, political sentiment is not so favorable for the GLBT community here in Northern Virginia and the state in general. Nonetheless, many gay individuals, couples and families live here with (to my knowledge) minimal problems at most.

Ironically, there was a similar post today from a lesbian couple looking for a similar-minded community. I suggested to them that housing cost and commute - the same issues that everyone grapples with - would be more important than concern about acceptance in a particular community.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
That had nothing to do with liberal vs. conservative, or even democrat vs. republican. Many liberals and democrats voted for McDonnell. In this particular race, he was clearly the better candidate and the one who had specific and concrete plans. I have to say that although I disagree with some things McDonnall does, so far he's been accomplishing his goals and he seems to be a good governor.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM

132 posts, read 324,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That had nothing to do with liberal vs. conservative, or even democrat vs. republican. Many liberals and democrats voted for McDonnell. In this particular race, he was clearly the better candidate and the one who had specific and concrete plans. I have to say that although I disagree with some things McDonnall does, so far he's been accomplishing his goals and he seems to be a good governor.
I don't think you can call yourself a liberal if you voted for McDonnell. You can say you are a democrat who doesn't care about social issues. Creed Deeds ran heavily on McDonnell's conservative records but it didn't stick. McDonnell is very conservative on social issues, and everyone knows it. Northern Virginia (Fairfax, Loudoun, and to the west) is relatively conservative on family values. There is no way gay marriage can be passed in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia