Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,903,309 times

Advertisements

Atlanta & DC have strong economies with good paying jobs. Remember housing costs aren't the only issue with NoVa, the state of VA likes to hike property taxes too! I am not familiar with Georgia. You will get a bigger residence in Atlanta than DC but if I were young again and if I could afford it, DC would be my choice. It is definately a world-class City. I am glad I don't live too far away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,672,779 times
I know this is a NOVA forum, but I hope people understand that when I say I'm looking to compare DC to Atlanta, I'm also including the Maryland part of it. Hopefully, that won't bring out all the anti-MD posters.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,260,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I know it's bad in both cities, but residents of any city tend to believe traffic in their city is far worse than any place else. That's why whenever I hear people say DC traffic is worse, I have to wonder, "have you been to Atlanta?" The rush hour traffic I saw was horrible. A 7 lane freeway and not one car moving? DC may not be better, but can it really be worse?
I've lived (and commuted from suburb to downtown) in both places and DC's traffic is much worse than Atlanta.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I've lived (and commuted from suburb to downtown) in both places and DC's traffic is much worse than Atlanta.
Which suburbs in each city? Can you provide average times?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,260,728 times
Quote:
Which suburbs in each city? Can you provide average times?
Currently commuting from Reston to DC - usual time is 45 minutes via Toll Road and I-66 - arriving in DC at 8:30 am. The big cavet with my current commute is that I have a rider (slug in DC terms) so that I can drive in the HOV on I-66 (whole road is HOV during rush). If I was driving solo it would take me 1:10 to 1:20 on a regular basis and a day or two a week would stretch to 1:30 (without a major traffic incident). Without any traffic the trip takes 30 minutes. Fairfax Connector Bus to Metro takes 1:15 to 1:30.

In Atlanta I commuted from Tucker to Downtown and did it several different ways over many years. I started driving solo, then moved to taking the MARTA from Doraville, & ended up carpooling. I don't remember exact times.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM

330 posts, read 880,233 times
Sorry..but no comparison between DC and Atlanta. DC is a world class city and getting better by each passing day. Mod cut

Bye bye!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-10-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Currently commuting from Reston to DC - usual time is 45 minutes via Toll Road and I-66 - arriving in DC at 8:30 am. The big cavet with my current commute is that I have a rider (slug in DC terms) so that I can drive in the HOV on I-66 (whole road is HOV during rush). If I was driving solo it would take me 1:10 to 1:20 on a regular basis and a day or two a week would stretch to 1:30 (without a major traffic incident). Without any traffic the trip takes 30 minutes. Fairfax Connector Bus to Metro takes 1:15 to 1:30.

In Atlanta I commuted from Tucker to Downtown and did it several different ways over many years. I started driving solo, then moved to taking the MARTA from Doraville, & ended up carpooling. I don't remember exact times.
Is the connector bus what takes you from Reston to the Metro? I have a cousin in Herndon. He drives to Reston, hops on a bus which takes him to the Falls Church station and then rides the Metro to DC. then he walks a couple blocks to his office. He says door-to-door, it takes him 1:10 to 1:30. How bad would it be if I lived in Reston and commuted to Tysons?

In Atlanta, I'd most likely live in Dunwoody, not Tucker. There are shuttle buses to the Marta station and I'm pretty sure the Marta is no better than the Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Sorry..but no comparison between DC and Atlanta. DC is a world class city and getting better by each passing day. Mod cut

Bye bye!
Care to elaborate on why you think DC is better?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-10-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,896,272 times
I've lived in both. Given a choice, I would choose Atlanta without hesitation.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 PM

330 posts, read 880,233 times
Quote:
Is the connector bus what takes you from Reston to the Metro? I have a cousin in Herndon. He drives to Reston, hops on a bus which takes him to the Falls Church station and then rides the Metro to DC. then he walks a couple blocks to his office. He says door-to-door, it takes him 1:10 to 1:30. How bad would it be if I lived in Reston and commuted to Tysons?

In Atlanta, I'd most likely live in Dunwoody, not Tucker. There are shuttle buses to the Marta station and I'm pretty sure the Marta is no better than the Metro.

Care to elaborate on why you think DC is better?
Atlanta and DC are in totally different leagues. DC is a global city. Heads of state from the entire world are always destined to DC. With that said, it makes the entire metro very cosmopolitan - unlike Atlanta. With heads of state always destined to the area, it forces global people from all over the world to reside in the DC metro area.

DC is located in the Mid Atlantic - close by to Philly, NYC, Atlantic City, VA Beach, and hundreds of other places of interest even closer then then the cities mentioned.

Atlanta is in the South. Nothing really close to it. If you really want southern appeal and seclusion, then Atlanta is a nice spot.

In terms of job opportunities, no where else in the entire US is a better place than DC metro.

With that, DC metro has its problems. The top problems are cost of living and traffic. For me the weather is okay, but not the best. I like warm weather, so Atlanta is slightly milder.

To the OP, this is an easy decision. Find out what your priority is. If career/job and growth is your number goal, then DC metro it is - easily - with out question.

If you're looking to relax and hang out, and looking to survive with a low wage, then Atlanta is the place.

Not that you can't make big bux in Atlanta, it's just that DC metro is a Disneyworld for go-getters!

One last thing, there is a hundred more things to do and see in the DC metro area - also includes all the places near DC like NYC. In Atlanta, it feels dead compared to DC. And other places are so far from Atlanta.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:09 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,896,272 times
Quote:
There are shuttle buses to the Marta station and I'm pretty sure the Marta is no better than the Metro
Um....the Marta is NOTHING like the Metro. Metro is clean and safe. Marta is filthy and for the most part dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia