Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,241,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am in library withdrawal right now, since we are not residents of FFX county I can't utilize it unless I just want to sit there and read. However, I am eagerly anticipating visiting the Stafford library once we get moved. I am really excited because the library is 2 blocks from our house, my kids have already said "if Mom is missing check the library."
Have you checked with the librarian? I live in Alexandria, and have library cards for Fairfax County libraries and Arlington County libraries, in addition to Alexandria. I even had a Montgomery Country library card when I used to work there (but lived in NoVa).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,291,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Have you checked with the librarian? I live in Alexandria, and have library cards for Fairfax County libraries and Arlington County libraries, in addition to Alexandria. I even had a Montgomery Country library card when I used to work there (but lived in NoVa).
No, I just figured because we are not yet licensed in VA yet, they would probably deny me, to bad I didn't mention this before but we are moving out to Stafford on Monday so I will just wait. Thanks for the info though.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM

219 posts, read 472,845 times
Our local is the Reston library, which is on the small side and always extraordinarily busy. We both wish it was more the size of the Arlington main branch library, but with the ability to remotely search the catalog and order books for the hold shelves, it's not such a big issue these days. It's just on those days when one is browsing with nothing in mind and hoping to be caught by something intriguing that it can be an issue.

The kids section is fairly extensive there, but again sometimes no compelling looking title leaps out at one. We tend to rely on friends' recs and Amazon recs to identify promising titles, more than old-fashioned browsing. The dvd selection is pretty good, and they appear to regularly circulate dvd titles between library branches. As for noise, well, let's just say that my 3-year old is practising that whole whispering concept and hey, practice eventually makes perfect.

On the kvetching side, the Reston library is next door to a homeless shelter and the guys living there tend to hang out on the benches in front, smoking and snacking. I wish they would actually go inside and read some books (and probably some do), but most seem to prefer not to do so. But barring my nosy plans to 'improve' others lives against their inclination, I just wish they would dispose of their wrappers and bottles in the conveniently located trash receptacles, but usually the trash sits on the benches after the visitor is gone.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,439,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
On the kvetching side, the Reston library is next door to a homeless shelter and the guys living there tend to hang out on the benches in front, smoking and snacking. I wish they would actually go inside and read some books (and probably some do), but most seem to prefer not to do so. But barring my nosy plans to 'improve' others lives against their inclination, I just wish they would dispose of their wrappers and bottles in the conveniently located trash receptacles, but usually the trash sits on the benches after the visitor is gone.
I must be wrong but I always thought that shelter was for women and children only. It's not marked and is difficult to reach someone who is there, as women's shelters are.

One thing I thought of with the comments of how hard it is to get books off the hold list. I'm guessing all Fairfax libraries have this, at least the Chantilly regional one does, near their main desk they have two shelves with recent/popular books on a two week, no renewal basis for checking out. It's catch as you can when you go in there but a couple of times I've been able to get a book from there that was far down my hold list. If you regularly visit, it's worth checking out. OTOH, I've gotten others from there that are new that I wouldn't read otherwise. Maybe not the top of the line, but for summer reading, Danielle Steele and Mary Higgins Clark works fine on vacation....

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Dumpy, old, small and out of date
Wow, sorry to hear that. Which library is that? Whichever one it is, it's worth it to drive over to one of the good ones. Life is too short to waste time on out-of-date books.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 AM

189 posts, read 375,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Dumpy, old, small and out of date
Oh. She's talking about me.

I'm glad to find this thread, since the local library is a big factor for me to check out when we relocate. I'm excited to find a good one with kids' programs. My four-year-old was finally able to obtain her very own card a few weeks ago for the library down here, and there were several pics taken of the momentous event! BTW, how did I know you folks were kindred spirit readers??

Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM

696 posts, read 1,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Oh. She's talking about me.

I'm glad to find this thread, since the local library is a big factor for me to check out when we relocate. I'm excited to find a good one with kids' programs. My four-year-old was finally able to obtain her very own card a few weeks ago for the library down here, and there were several pics taken of the momentous event! BTW, how did I know you folks were kindred spirit readers??
Here is a link to the FFX libraries. They all have lots of children's programs.
Library - Public Library - Fairfax County Public Library - FCPL

Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,172,365 times
I'm pretty much split between Fairfax's George Mason branch down the road and Arlington's Shirlington branch. Love, love, love that reciprocity policy! If a book is a recent publication, many times I see it in the Arlington online catalog, not Fairfax's. If I'm looking for some DVDs to watch on a day off, it's ALWAYS Arlington (I do my reserves online and specify that I want to pick it up at Shirlington, on my way to work; OK, so I'm still #342 or some crazy number for one movie, but hey, when my number comes up I'll have forgotten that I'd reserved it and it'll be like an early birthday present). Fairfax libraries are horrible for movies; books on tape, George Mason has tons. George Mason can be a bit noisy, but I don't stick around to read there--I pick up what I need and leave. Can't always find a chair or table there anyway, because there's always a lot of tutoring going on.

I still have my old Alexandria library card. Never liked going there when I lived in Alexandria; this was the Beatley library on Duke Street, the one designed by Michael Graves. Maybe the library is just too, too large for the collection it has, because the shelves always looked a bit barren (more barren than Arlington's Central library facility). Not a place I'd wanna hang out at! (I think they spent so much money on designing the library that they ran out of money for books.)

(To AJsMom: At the Shirlington library branch a few weeks ago, there was a mid-30s guy asking if he could get a temporary card because he was spending just the summer in the area. I think all he had to show was a driver's license and perhaps something indicating his temporary address, like a piece of mail.)

Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
Fairfax libraries are horrible for movies; books on tape, George Mason has tons.
I've never understood that, you'd think Fairfax would have the best of all the local library systems (and their book collection is great) but when it comes to tapes, CDs and DVDs the other systems are much better.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM

FYI, Loudoun recently started charging fines if books are not returned by the due date. It's a bummer that they started doing this, but at least you can use a credit card if you want. You can get around this by renewing your items online. I think you can renew most things for at least a year before they absolutely insist you return it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia