Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 11,676 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone: my family is relocating from Philly to NoVA. We would like to make an offer on a house in Lake Ridge, that appears to be on the border between LR and Manassas. The zip code is Lake Ridge, however the schools are Penn, Parkside, and Osbourn Park, not Lake Ridge.

I know that Lake Ridge is a great community with good schools, however these schools are in Manassas, and I wanted to get some thoughts from you on their reputations. Also, my daughter is just 20 months, so the zoning may be different by the time she goes to school.

Finally, I'm a sahm, and I found some moms clubs in Lake Ridge and Woodbridge, but wanted to see if anyone had experiences with playgroups and moms communities in the area.

Thank you so much for your help!! This forum is a wonderful tool that's helped me a lot during my research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesA11 View Post
Hi, everyone: my family is relocating from Philly to NoVA. We would like to make an offer on a house in Lake Ridge, that appears to be on the border between LR and Manassas. The zip code is Lake Ridge, however the schools are Penn, Parkside, and Osbourn Park, not Lake Ridge.

I know that Lake Ridge is a great community with good schools, however these schools are in Manassas, and I wanted to get some thoughts from you on their reputations. Also, my daughter is just 20 months, so the zoning may be different by the time she goes to school.

Finally, I'm a sahm, and I found some moms clubs in Lake Ridge and Woodbridge, but wanted to see if anyone had experiences with playgroups and moms communities in the area.

Thank you so much for your help!! This forum is a wonderful tool that's helped me a lot during my research!
Okay I give. What is a sahm? Single ** mom? Where is the house in Lake Ridge? Is it east or west of Hoadly Rd? If you know. Osbourn Park has been a pretty good school with the staff they have there but of course this can always change. Same with Parkside. Not sure about Penn.
Can't help with the playgroups.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Okay I give. What is a sahm? Single ** mom? Where is the house in Lake Ridge? Is it east or west of Hoadly Rd? If you know. Osbourn Park has been a pretty good school with the staff they have there but of course this can always change. Same with Parkside. Not sure about Penn.
Can't help with the playgroups.
LOL - Stay at home mom

Is Hoadly Rd 642? It's right off of there about a 3 minute drive from the center of Lake Ridge.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by JulesA11; 04-11-2010 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
Don't stress over the area you are moving to. OP has a very good reputation and many people live or move to the mid-county are so that their kids CAN go to OP.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:45 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
It's a decent area. From what I remember, the mom's groups in Lake Ridge are very active and well-attended. I could never participate as I always worked but I know a lot of women that did.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
Lots of nice SAHM's in that general area. When I was there (Manassas near Clifton), we formed our own from a mom's group at Prince William Hospital. But there are also official Mom's Club and MOPS groups.

Have you checked out greatschools.net?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
Have you checked out greatschools.net?
I did look at it, but I wanted to get some more opinions on those school. The site didn't provide much information.

Thanks, guys! Our agent also took us to see the Fantasy playground, which is amazing, so I feel pretty good knowing that there will be a lot of activities for us.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesA11 View Post
I did look at it, but I wanted to get some more opinions on those school. The site didn't provide much information.

Thanks, guys! Our agent also took us to see the Fantasy playground, which is amazing, so I feel pretty good knowing that there will be a lot of activities for us.
Fantasy Playground is a pretty neat area. There is the occassional problem there at night time but never during the day. The night time problems are usually issues with teens so nothing too terribly wrong.

And Hoadly is 642. I worked for the PWCPD for many years and recently retired. Lake Ridge has a few problem areas but for the most part Lake Ridge was/is a good place. Kind of crowded due to its sheer size but pretty well planned.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 AM

204 posts, read 666,041 times
Okay, I know your daughter isn't even two yet, but the middle school you are zoned for, Parkside, has an awful reputation. I know quite a few people who have/are doing almost anything to avoid sending their kids there. Combination of bad administration and bad student population. Who knows what the zoning will be like 10 years from now though!

Don't know a thing about Penn Elementary. If you are looking for a good preschool in the area, take a look at Grace Preschool at Grace United Methodist Church in Manassas. On Wellington Road.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Being that you are coming from Philly, I guess you will get used to the crime in Lake Ridge pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia