Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 31,980 times

Advertisements

So first off, please disregard my screen name as my husband's company can not decide on where to relocate us (don't make me get starter)!

We are relocating to the NOVA/DC area with my husband's company from North Louisiana. He will be working at Bolling AFB. We have two children ages 6 1/2 and 2 1/2. I currently do not work but will be looking for a job once we get to DC which should be around the 1st of June. The two most important things to us in the area we live is first schools and second the neighborhood. Our plan is to lease an apartment for 3 months and then decide on the neighborhood we want to live and for me to find a job.

I wanted to get some input on neighborhoods and commute times for my husband. I would like a neighborhood where my children will have lots of friends to play with and the moms are friendly.

We did visit with friends about a month ago who lived on Capital Hill but that just was not us. No offense to anyone, but I just did not get a warm feeling when I left there. Not one person would look at you and say Hi. And the parking...nope not for us!! We did get a chance to visit Brambleton in Ashburn while we were there and that was pretty nice, but I did not see a lot of kids out playing (it could have been the time).

My friend in DC is pushing Del Ray in Alexandria. I am not sure if that is what I am looking for, but I don't know much about the area.

One place that I found online and fell in love with is Dominion Valley Country Club! That is what I like...I guess I am a suburb type of girl! I love all of the activities they have planned. The big negative is the commute my husband would have to Bolling AFB.

So....with all of that info...got any ideas for us??? I feel sooo overwhelmed with all of the areas that are available to live. Any suggestions on apartments that we could live in for 3 months. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Since your husband has to go to Bolling AFB, I would not stray too far from Alexandria on the Virginia side, because the commute can be arduous. That said, I would recommend looking into the Kingstowne area, though it's an area with more townhouses and condominiums, and some smaller lot single-family houses, compared to Dominion Valley Country Club.

Another area to consider, if you do not mind an older house is off the GW Parkway in the Mount Vernon area (Alexandria address, but unincorporated Fairfax County). Waynewood is a good community, and has an active neigborhood association, pool, etc. Waynewood News.

Another neighboring community is Stratford Landing, which is a little closer to Mount Vernon than Waynewood, but also has the GW Parkway and Fort Hunt Road for ease of access. Stratford Landing.org

Hollin Hills is also in the same general area, but I would not describe it as the most child-friendly as the houses are contemporary and set amid woods, lacking things like sidewalks, curbs, and wider streets that many with children tend to prefer.

Just about any of the communities off Fort Hunt and the GW Parkway would be a good place to start looking, though you might not want the Belle View area as that has a tendency to flood during especially bad seasons. Belle Haven is a good area to consider, though it's hilly, and a bit more expensive than areas a little further out. The terrain is more level to rolling toward Mount Vernon, as opposed to yards that may have a great view of the Potomac from high on the hill, but are terraced to be at all useful.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Do not live in Dominion Valley Country Club, or Prince William County . Stick to Fairfax County. The commute is really bad, google maps says an hour each way without traffic, but with traffic will be about 2 hours each way. Have you also considered La Plata Maryland?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Cross Prince George's County, MD off the list right now!

It is the closest suburb to Bolling....but it's got high crime, higher taxes (MD in general), and terrible schools.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Sound like you like the burbs. That's good, b/c the housing prices are MUCH higher in DC metro than in northern LA. But if you live 40 miles outside of DC, say Leesburg, you can definitely find some much more affordable homes than you will find in the District or the inner suburbs (like Del Ray, which someone mentioned -- a great neighborhood, but not a cheap neighborhood). Good luck with the search.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,178 times
A lot of our friends who work at Bolling live off of Old Keene Mill Road in Springfield. Several are in the Orange Hunt neighborhood and seem to like it a lot. Older homes (this will be the case for nearly everything you find close-in), but a great sense of community and convenient to groceries, good schools, lots of churches, etc. One of the guys we know who lives in Orange Hunt even bikes most of the way to work when the weather's nice.

Best of luck, and welcome to DC!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
There are lots of communities with good schools and family-friendly neighborhoods, but the most important factor affecting your decision will be your housing budget. What sort of housing are you looking for (single-family, townhouse?) and how much were you planning to spend?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Places like Ashburn and Leesburg might be ideal for the family-oriented lifestyle you seek but they would be a nightmare commute to Bolling AFB. I concur with the suggestions for the various Alexandria South neighborhoods. Even Springfield as mentioned wouldn't be too daunting a commute.

And yes, knowing your budget would indeed help us make more quality suggestions.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
I always suggest Burke! Great neighborhoods. Fantastic schools! Very safe.

Stay away from Maryland.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,852 times
I've heard that Del Rey is nice. I don't know what it's like in terms of families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia