Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM

696 posts, read 1,698,406 times

Advertisements

Normie - Thought of you this morning when we saw kayakers at Great Falls. My little girls LOVED the water. Similar to Snoqualmie Falls in Washington state, but w/out the evergreens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 PM

30 posts, read 108,792 times
Thanks all - I loved reading your posts. I own two kayaks - one for me and one for a friend so I don't have to kayak alone. I'm moving to NOVA soon, I hope, and am really glad to have some information on where to kayak.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,008,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
Normie - Thought of you this morning when we saw kayakers at Great Falls. My little girls LOVED the water. Similar to Snoqualmie Falls in Washington state, but w/out the evergreens.
Aww, thanks. Wish I was as energetic as those crazy kids at Great Falls. These days I just paddle around Riverbend Park where the waters are calm and you see lots and lots of birds.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,157,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmel View Post
Thanks all - I loved reading your posts. I own two kayaks - one for me and one for a friend so I don't have to kayak alone. I'm moving to NOVA soon, I hope, and am really glad to have some information on where to kayak.
Welcome to northern Virginia. You'll find quite a few threads on kayaking here. There's one thread in particular that has lots of photos and video of the stunt kayaking at Great Falls National Park. Use the search engine and you're sure to find it.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,331,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmel View Post
Another good spot to go is Dyke Marsh just South of Old Town Alexandria along the GW Parkway. It's a protected nature preserve loaded with birds and other wildlife. You can put in at Belle Haven Marina.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,008,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Another good spot to go is Dyke Marsh just South of Old Town Alexandria along the GW Parkway. It's a protected nature preserve loaded with birds and other wildlife. You can put in at Belle Haven Marina.
I love that spot. But, be aware that even in these protected spots where the water appears to be calm, there is a dangerous current if you fall in the water. Just this weekend a kayaker drowned. From what I hear he was not wearing a life jacket, he did not know how to swim, and he was goofing around too much and fell in. A very sad story, and a good reminder that even downstream of the falls, the river's current can be dangerous. And always wear a life jacket.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,465,048 times
We got out on the water yesterday for the first time this month. It's just been too icky lately, and on those rare days when the weather cooperated, we already had something else going on. But we finally got out, and went back to our favorite ... the Occoquan Reservoir, launching our kayaks at Fountainhead Regional Park.

It always seem to happen that when one of us takes along a camera, the wildlife goes into hiding. I had my camera yesterday, and I managed to take a few pictures (thankfully, blue heron aren't among God's fastest critters), but the kingfisher and the green heron were just too fast for my reflexes.

Last edited by GreenGene; 12-31-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,962,910 times
Those are incredible pictures!! It looks like it was a beautiful day and that kayaking in that area is amazing!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,157,884 times
Beautiful photos, GreenGene. The lush greenery is what caught my eye. I just got back from a week in Cape May, one of my favorite places. While I was there, I decided to try kayaking. It was a lot of fun, and beautiful in its own right, but no where near as pretty as the photos you've posted. I think sometimes we don't appreciate how stunning our rivers are. You have to go someplace else to realize how lush and green it is here.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,465,048 times
This isn't technically a kayaking post, since we didn't actually get out on the water. But we tried.

My wife and I decided to give Mason Neck a visit. We hadn't been there yet this season, and the day's weather was forecast to be gorgeous ... and isn't it great when they get the forecast right?

Well, it was gorgeous, but really, really windy. We tried, and started getting the boats off the roof of the van, but then came to our senses. We like calm water to paddle in, and the white caps on Belmont Bay were just too intimidating. We had intended to paddle directly to the calm (or at least calmer) waters of Kanes Creek, but even on the most direct route from the kayak & canoe launch, it would have been a struggle.

So, we walked around for a while, hitting in particular the Bayview Trail. Here are a couple of pictures from that walk.

Last edited by GreenGene; 12-31-2016 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia