Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 AM

45 posts, read 141,843 times

Advertisements

We got our condo in Stone Ridge (near South Riding) rented by using a realtor. Glad we did. He did all the work. And he got it rented for the next 2 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 PM

822 posts, read 3,011,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I can do the credit check and screening on my own. My issue is finding tenants who want the place and have decent credit. I've gotten a few sob stories and even one who wanted to work off the security deposit by sprucing my place up. Uh huh.

I used a realtor to find our rental when we moved to Phoenix, but he was already a buddy, who just happened to be a realtor. He also was our agent for the house we closed on here last week.

I've had a lot of traffic in the Faifax condo and no one has told me the rent was too high or tried to bargain it down. It's walkable to Wegmans, is an end unit with an attached garage. I mean, aside from the carpets, the place is awesome.

I hadn't seen the place for two years and just made it back to NoVA two weeks ago to inspect the place after my tenants left. They didn't leave it in good shape, so I'm wondering how it looked when they were there and showing the place for me. But I had my cleaning lady shine it up a bit. The only complaints I've heard from anyone are that the place is too small. I've done plenty of research and it seems to be priced right. But then, it's not getting rented out. So maybe I'm off. But I'll be losing $250 a month on it even if I get my asking rent. I certainly can't ask for more rent and have any luck.
Well, I don't know. Maybe you could clean and/or replace the carpets (one tenant, the one found through my realtor, said he would take the place if I replaced the carpets so I did; I had already paid like $200 to clean the old ones). Maybe there is a little bit more decorating or staging you could do. Or maybe you could give a realtor a chance. Again, if it stays vacant, that's the worst. [A bad tenant is also a disaster, needless to say].

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 815,363 times
I am considering this right now myself. I have a condo in Prince Georges near the Harbor and not far from my home that I rent out. I have never had a problem keeping it rented at $1300-$1400 a month. I allow pets which attracts a lot of people and distinguishes me from the several other people renting their condos in the same building at lower prices (which they can do since they bought theirs at half the price of mine). Have had great tenants that I found on my own after posting on craigslist and WashingtonPost and Apartments.com. My prior tenants were two men who moved here for new jobs from Kentucky and rented it sight unseen. My current tenant has been there for almost 4 years and is buying a senior condo of her own. I found her from the Washington Post ad. I did my own screening and showing (easy since I live nearby). I have a realtor friend I was considering hiring to help with this new rental since I have a new baby and am pressed for time nowadays but thought I'd give it a shot myself again first. Well after one week of advertising I have 3 serious prospects that I will have to decide from...so I am starting to think I'll screen myself and keep doing it on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia