Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,289,939 times

Advertisements

And if you read my previous posts most reckless speeding charges are easy to bargain to improper or simple speeding. IMO hiring a lawyer to only reach the same deal you could reach is a waste. If you're going to fight the charge then hiring a lawyer would be smart. In my 30 years I never met a prosecutor who wanted sit in court all day fighting cases. They all want to deal cases away if it's a reasonable deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 178,398 times
Well, thanks for the tips. I hope the judge is lenient. Still debating on whether or not I should get a lawyer. A reckless driving ticket is going to sting pretty badly.

Not only that, but my fiance just quit her job to concentrate on school. And with the wedding just around the corner, those fines are going to hurt.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,017 times
There's nothing stopping you from going to court on your own and trying to bargain it down. Traffic court is all about making a deal. If they won't bargain with you (and they almost always will) THEN you can request a continuance and go get a lawyer.

They deal people down from 79 in a 55 to 74 (or 69) in a 55 all day to get rid of the reckless. You don't need a lawyer to get that.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
There's nothing stopping you from going to court on your own and trying to bargain it down. Traffic court is all about making a deal. If they won't bargain with you (and they almost always will) THEN you can request a continuance and go get a lawyer.

They deal people down from 79 in a 55 to 74 (or 69) in a 55 all day to get rid of the reckless. You don't need a lawyer to get that.
Thanks, sir. I sure hope the same will happen to me. So if I go there and plead guilty and I don't get any leniency, can I then ask for a continuance? Or do I say non guilty to begin with? I mean, technically, I did speed, even though I wasn't pulled over.

I really should've just kept driving as she was getting pulled over and called her with directions afterwards. But I never expected that he'd give me a ticket, also. Well, lesson learned.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,289,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingpanda01 View Post
Thanks, sir. I sure hope the same will happen to me. So if I go there and plead guilty and I don't get any leniency, can I then ask for a continuance? Or do I say non guilty to begin with? I mean, technically, I did speed, even though I wasn't pulled over.

I really should've just kept driving as she was getting pulled over and called her with directions afterwards. But I never expected that he'd give me a ticket, also. Well, lesson learned.

Regarding the bold. NO. Once you plead guilty then you'll have to appeal to Circuit Court which is another hearing. You need to find the officer that wrote the ticket and request a break. Either speeding or improper driving. If you feel real lucky you can ask for a reduction to 9 over but don't hold your breath on that. He will likely refer you to the prosecutor handling your courtroom. Try and get in there to speak to them as well as he/she ultimately has final say. If you're not happy then you go before te judge and request the continuance to hire an attorney. They don't really care if you come back with an attorney or not but ask for time to hire one.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Well, I phoned some lawyers and they were a lot more expensive than I thought. At least $750.

I heard you can get one the day of your trial at the courthouse for a very reasonable price. That there are some lawyers just hanging around there. Is this true? And if so, any idea how much they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia