Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 14,623 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move around within Alexandria, and we're familiar with various areas of the city and the Fairfax Co. side, but not with Del Ray and Van Dorn near the metro. Are these areas generally okay, crime wise?

Our only major stipulations are that we have to be within walking distance to a metro rail station and the area has to be safe. We're looking in Van Dorn and Del Ray close to the Braddock Road station. We visited Del Ray for the first time a few months ago and it seemed nice and very quiet, but we drove through the "end" of Old Town (near Columbus) and passed a lot of sketchy-looking, project-type housing - does the presence of those homes that affect Del Ray at all?

I've heard a lot of bad things about Arlandria, and indeed when I check crimereports.com, a lot of the crime seems to happen there. That doesn't seem to be near where we're looking since it's so far from the Braddock Road and King Street metro stations. Do people from that area generally travel to near the Braddock Road station? I would be walking to and from the station in the mornings and evenings. Of course, safety is a priority.

Any suggestions anyone has would be so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1330 View Post
We're looking to move around within Alexandria, and we're familiar with various areas of the city and the Fairfax Co. side, but not with Del Ray and Van Dorn near the metro. Are these areas generally okay, crime wise?

Our only major stipulations are that we have to be within walking distance to a metro rail station and the area has to be safe. We're looking in Van Dorn and Del Ray close to the Braddock Road station. We visited Del Ray for the first time a few months ago and it seemed nice and very quiet, but we drove through the "end" of Old Town (near Columbus) and passed a lot of sketchy-looking, project-type housing - does the presence of those homes that affect Del Ray at all?

I've heard a lot of bad things about Arlandria, and indeed when I check crimereports.com, a lot of the crime seems to happen there. That doesn't seem to be near where we're looking since it's so far from the Braddock Road and King Street metro stations. Do people from that area generally travel to near the Braddock Road station? I would be walking to and from the station in the mornings and evenings. Of course, safety is a priority.

Any suggestions anyone has would be so helpful!
I can speak about Del Ray a bit.

It's an area that has become popular with younger families and, by Northern Virginia standards, may be the most progressive neighborhod on this side of the Potomac. If you drove down Mount Vernon Avenue, you certainly noticed the number of coffee shops, restaurants alternative health facilities and a general preponderance of local businesses.

To my knowledge, any issues in Arlandia don't affect Del Ray. The public housing literally across the tracks in the Parker-Gray neighborhood does not cause any issues (besides occasional teenage mischief at the 7-11 right at the Braddock Road stop) that would spill over either. Strolling through that area after midnight may not be the best idea; otherwise, it is rather laid-back compared to other challenged neighborhoods in SE DC and its neighboring towns in Prince George County, MD. Note that some of the more expensive homes in Alexandria are ironically across the street from some of the public housing.

Unless you really like to walk, your commute might rate a short bus ride to Braddock Road depending on how far north you are in Del Ray.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
Isn't that the area where that MS-13 guy hacked off some dude's hands with a machete a few years ago?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Isn't that the area where that MS-13 guy hacked off some dude's hands with a machete a few years ago?
What difference would that make? If you're not a rival gang member I doubt you're going to get your hands cut off or have any other problems. All of Northern VA is perfectly safe. I wouldn't worry about it. You're more likely to get struck by lightning than become a victim of a violent crime.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM

50 posts, read 131,456 times
I can't speak to the Van Dorn area but the area of "Del Ray" (or Rosemont) west of Braddock Road is pretty safe for walking to and from Metro. I will say, if you're walking late at night, it can be pretty quiet whcih is both good and bad from a safety perspective. Depending on how far from Metro you'll be, you might want to look closer to Mt. Vernon Avenue so you have the option of taking the bus (Metrobus 10A and 10B) late at night. But I would make that recommendation almost anywhere that is semi-urban.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
No, that was near Edsall and 395, not Van Dorn, Del Ray, or Rosemont.

Also, CAVA1990 is right: It was gang-member on gang-member crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia