Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 31,938 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering selling our place so we can move up a larger home. However, our diminished equity in the existing home is driving us to consider a FSBO - the traditional 5 or 6% real estate commission fees would take a sizable dip in our equity.

Our place is in good condition and in a desirable neighborhood. However, because the market is still down, we may need an agent to help us find prospective buyers. Perhaps we could find a good realtor who charges a flat rate? We could do a lot of the leg work ourseleves. Or find a realtor who can broker the home (i.e. be a dual buyer's AND seller's agent). What is your take? Any advice or experiences you can share would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,153,003 times
You could look into a limited services brokerage. Normally they will charge a flat fee or reduced rate so that it goes into the MLS. The flip-side is you will be doing all of the contact with the buyers, and you will probably still need to offer a commission to buyer's agents. There are two national franchises that come to mind, but if you do an internet search for limited services realty companies, I am sure they will come up. You also might try MilitarybyOwner.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 AM

696 posts, read 1,696,008 times
Have you heard of Redfin? When we sold our first house three years ago in the Seattle area, the buyers used them. Redfin gets a modest fixed rate and you as a seller get the rest back. I'd check into it. Listing With Redfin | Redfin.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,320,811 times
Couple of thoughts here: If you do for sale by owner, you have to be prepared for a lot of work. I work for an agent and she often gets calls from for sale by owner people who got in over their heads and have a million questions. (and that's not fair to the agent...they can't work for free So if you are going to do it, maybe invest in taking a class or two. That won't give you experience but it may help with terms and such.
You probably should offer 3% to the agent who brings in a buyer. Again...an agent will show your home if they are going to get paid.
You should get your home on the multiple listing. It will allow agents to see the property online and know its there. Otherwise how many people will really notice your sign in your yard?
Do you know the sites to market your home? There is much more than just Craigslist.

SOmething else to consider...I think the statistic is only 2% of for sale by owners actually get the deal done. Do you want to move fast? Think about your carrying costs. For example lets say your mortgage is $2K a month. Each month you sit on the market you will be paying that. What if it takes you 6 months to sell? That's $12K that you have paid into a house you no longer want to be in. Statistically I believe having an agent gets it done much faster.

Just some things to think about. We had once thought about doing for sale by owner to save the cost as well but at that time we didn't know the first thing about real estate and we needed to sell fast.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,348 times
twinmma is so correct! I work in the legal field and have worked on many real estate transactions.

Do people successfully sell their homes without an agent? Yep. All the time. The problem isn't the success stories. The problem is when things go bad they go really, really bad. Even seemingly small mistakes can cost many thousands of dollars to correct.

I have a B.S. in Legal Studies. I have taken no less than four college level classes specifically on real estate law. And I've worked in law offices for years and years. And there is no way I would try to sell my house without an agent.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 AM

70 posts, read 294,304 times
We sold a previous home ourselves via one of the FSBO services. I did a lot of research online about the home selling process and had all of the proper forms on hand for prospective buyers. These included offer forms, property disclosure form, lead-based paint form, and one that prevents the buyer from making warranty claims. In our case, all of these were free from the Louisiana Real Estate Comm website. You will find that a closing company will be eager to close the sale and the fee is very reasonable. We sold our house in six weeks and saved over $13,000 in commissions. I think with the proper research it is very doable.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,353,922 times
As a potential home buyer (and I'm not a realtor), I definitely am not a fan of FSBOs. I find that most FSBOs are not marketed properly and the owners, who often have an emotional investment in the property, are not realistic on the market price or reasonable with negotiations. It is also my sense that most FSBOs are trying to save themselves money, so why should I want to deal with the hassle. I mean, if I can get a great deal by getting a piece of the FSBO savings AND the seller is still willing to pay my realtor's 3% commission, I don't see how the seller saves much and they completely lose the benefit of having a realtor.

Bottom line, when I am looking at a potential home purchase, I completely ignore FSBOs because I don't get a benefit and they are often a headache to deal with. Too many nice, well-staged properties being marketed by realtors who have had a long talk with the sellers and knocked them down on price to what is reasonable in the current market.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 31,938 times
Thank you everyone for all the fast and helpful responses. I did a quick search based on your suggestions. So far Refin is looking pretty good......

Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM

380 posts, read 1,063,508 times
there are many realtor listed homes that have an ADOM of more than 200. They don't make any guarantees, either.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,693,586 times
FFGirl,

A few decades ago, when we were young and naive, we tried to sell our first home as a FSBO. It didnt work but was a learning experience.

The first thing you learn is that all manner of folks with no intention of buying your home (or the ability to qualify for a mortgage) will stop buy and ask for a tour. It is a royal nuisance dealing with such folks.

Moreover, while it might have been safe decades ago to let a stranger into your house, today I wouldnt consider it. We plan to put our home on the market later this year and no way would I let a stranger in here unless accompanied by a professional agent. You just never know whether someone is interested in the house or casing the place or worse.

Real estate agents are trained to screen people; to weed out folks who are just "browsing," who cant quality for your house, etc.

If $$ is tight, I would recommend using a flat fee listing service to get your home in the MLS for a few hundred dollars. Then you will only owe commission to the buyer's agent. This is what we ended up doing with our first home, with the result that we paid 3% rather than 6% commission.

We used a firm called Garand Realty, it was so long ago, I don't know if they are still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia