Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,494,313 times

Advertisements

well, I guess that why emergency rooms call motorcycle riders "organ donors" :lol:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Well then what is YOUR recommendation as to what I should do if someone turns in front of me without using their signal? I'm all ears!
Just suck it up - say to yourself (or out loud if you like to hear yourself talk) - "Yet another idiot, what a moron" or some such - then LET IT GO.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
You know, that's why I haven't bought a bike yet; this place is too crazy for one. Last year, when I was all set to buy a bike, I observed how people drive, taking the perspective of a motorcyclist. Wow....it helped me to be a better driver, by really watching where everyone was at all times. In a car, people barely pay attention to cars, and they take for granted that a car can see them, but on the bike, there's no betting on that.

I was stopped at a red light last week on Rt 29 near Vienna, and a female on a motorcycle hit one of the ubiquitous potholes while slowing down and laid her bike down right behind me. What was sad was that I was the only person to get out of my car to help her out. Please stay safe out there if you're riding.

Yep this is absolutely true. Riding a motorcycle has made me a much better driver in general. I watch for things now that never crossed my mind before. The MSF class is one of the best around and that alone helped increase my awareness on the road.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,720,663 times
Nine times out of 10, the only time I blow my horn is when someone tries to slide into my lane when they're next to me or they don't pay attention and cut me off. I've used the horn on my bike more often because people like to try and sideswipe me when they don't look before getting over -i've had a time or two when I just reach out and tap the window as they're sliding into my lane. I've noticed thats far more effective at getting someone to realize they're trying to kill me than then horn is. Regarding signals, the only time i've not used mine is at 4:50am in the morning when theres no one else on the road!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,841 times
The thing that REALLY bothers me is the tailgating. If the speed limit is 45, and I'm going a hair above that, or even 50, you get some car that is following me so close I can barely see their headlights.

Sometimes on 28 in the morning, with all of the traffic converging there from 29 and 66, I always manage to end up in front of one of those tailgaters. I stay in the left lane because I don't exit 28 for a while, and you get folks merging into the middle and right lanes, so I stay on the left since I don't have to turn off anywhere.

This morning a black Acura was behind me, so close that if I even tapped the brakes he probably would have smashed into me. And we were in traffic, so no one was even speeding. He zipped over to the right lane in an attempt to cut me off (also did not use a signal while doing so), and due to the high volume of traffic, got stuck behind a pick up truck. I just said "oh well" and kept on goin'...

A few minutes later I'm still in the left lane and traffic is picking up, past the Walney Road intersection, and this same Acura comes blaring up the left lane and is immediately on my bumper again...I move to the middle lane safely so he can pass, so he passes me and cuts me off and then slams on his brakes (no one was in front of him).

WTF? I had to get in the right lane anyway so after he slammed I got over, but I was shaking and sweating because I nearly had an accident!!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,203 times
Quote:
The thing that REALLY bothers me is the tailgating.
That infuriates me! And I'm normally a very easy going person. DO NOT RIDE MY BUMPER!

Here's a little hint for all of you tailgaters out there. I'm never in a hurry. I leave very early for appointments because I hate the feeling of being stressed out. I am one of those people who always arrives about 15 minutes early for appointments. I have plenty of time to screw with tailgaters. If you are tailgating me, I will purposely slow down and drive exactly the speed limit. And I will totally enjoy watching you stress out in my rear view mirror.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
so he passes me and cuts me off and then slams on his brakes (no one was in front of him).
That drives me nuts! There is just something a little unstable about a person who practically kills everyone on the road just to get ahead of the next car, then hits the brakes...

I don't use my horn often, but I will bust it out for egregious stuff. Like once I was in the left lane, driving along, and the person in front of me came to a FULL STOP and just sat there! For several minutes! It turns out he wanted to turn into a strip mall on the right, so he figured he was just going to sit still in the left lane until he had the opportunity to turn. It caused quite a bit of chaos. You'd better believe I used my horn then.

And as a side note - I don't get that attitude at all. I mean, if I make a mistake on the road - if I find myself in the left lane when I want to turn right, for instance - I don't expect everyone else out there to accommodate me! If there is a safe way to get over to the lane I need to be in, I do it. If not, I suck it up and find a safe place to turn around. Even if it means adding a few minutes to my drive. It's not everyone else's fault that I made a mistake and got in the wrong lane or took a wrong turn.

But to honk the horn for turn signals and other little stuff? Not worth the trouble, life is too short.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM

2,516 posts, read 3,412,000 times
Tailgating is the worst driving habit in Northern Virginia. It is not safe or polite, and in some parts of the country, it's considered a form of harassment.

Another thing I notice is that many drivers swing wide to one side to turn in the opposite direction. The driver will swerve left to turn right. Don't these people know how to turn their cars?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Another thing I notice is that many drivers swing wide to one side to turn in the opposite direction. The driver will swerve left to turn right. Don't these people know how to turn their cars?
I notice that too!! It always seems that they have a tractor-trailer trying to turn into a development, their driveway, etc.

They swing way out to the right to make a quick left. I guess they don't want people to go around them, that's all I can suggest really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia