Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM

12 posts, read 22,060 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I am looking for a grocery store similar to some back in Chicago- Valli Produce, Eurofresh, or Ca****s. I attached links below as an example.

Valli Produce : An International Marketplace
EUROFRESH MARKET
http://ca****markets.com/

I am willing to drive a ways to find something similar, if it exists.

Essentially they have amazing produce and deli departments with excellent prices. On average lunch meat is $3.00 to $4.00 a pound and the produce departments have a huge variety which is fresh and cheap: strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries for $.99 a package and leaf lettuce $.59 a pound are examples.

Does anything like this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,101,824 times
What area do you live in in NoVA? Also, there are farmer's markets in many areas that offer locally-grown produce. I think some folks can give suggestions but it would help to know where you are located.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM

696 posts, read 1,696,518 times
It does depend on where you live. I can't stand Giant, Safeway or Shoppers. That doesn't leave much to offer. I shop at Trader Joe's and Wegmans and limit my shopping to once a week. It requires more planning, but is definitely the way to go.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,456,551 times
I'll second the suggestion for Wegmans ... quality and variety are great, but I don't think you'll find the prices there to be as low as what you are used to. I think their prices are reasonable for this area - on things we buy regularly, the prices at Wegmans are often lower than Giant, and consistently lower than Safeway or Harris Teeter.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,322,921 times
I love Wegmans. I can't find better pricing except the occassional Super Target on sale item.

I also buy produce at Costco. They get great blueberries in large quanities and I just freeze them. (i eat them frozen so this is a plus for me)

You can also go to some of the local Farms and pick berries. Loudoun County is having a self guided tour coming up where you can pick your own produce.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 AM

446 posts, read 1,649,693 times
I find good produce at Trader Joe's myself.

Oh how I wish we had Giordano's here - deep dish pizza and produce I know are different, but if we are talking Chicago food, I wish we had deep dish pizza here.....

Welcome to the area.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 AM

175 posts, read 438,509 times
I don't know anywhere to find those kind of prices unless there are aldies in town and I am not sure if they are located here. Wegmans is your best bet for variety and I find the prices to be lower than giant and safeway. Best of luck to you

Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM

870 posts, read 2,113,021 times
tvc,

I used to live in Chicago, too, and I know exactly the type of produce stores/markets you are talking about. I have to disagree with everyone about Wegmans. The produce quality might be nice, but the prices are much higher than the type of store you're looking for. Farmers Markets are the same. I haven't seen a really good price at a Farmers Market in a while.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find exactly what you're looking for here. I think the closest store to those markets would be Global Foods: Welcome to Global Food ! A lot of their produce is very inexpensive, and the quality of a particular item varies as the seasons change. Their grocery section is definitely more pricey. Aldi's also has a small presence in Virginia (2 in Woodbridge, 2 in Manassas, 1 in Alexandria), but I think they might be expanding. Aldi has been running specials for ~1 month now with Strawberries at $1.19. Finally, check out some of the smaller neighborhood Hispanic or Asian grocery stores. The selection may not be as broad, but you can often find great prices on the produce that is stocked.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,813,087 times
If you live near a Magruder's, they generally have very cheap prices in produce. Sometimes you have to be careful, though, because they may be overripe.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,600,013 times
There are a bunch of international markets around the area.

Fresh Market (Fairfax - coming soon)
Balducci's (McLean)
Super H Mart (Fairfax, Merrifield)
Lotte's (Fairfax, Chantilly)
Great China Wall Supermarket (Merrifield)
Grand Mart International (Sterling, Manassas, Centreville)

The last four cater to Asian, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern clientele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia