Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,694,284 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to see on there that they list the foreclosed properties in a neighborhood as "invalid sale price." A foreclosure on my street just sold for substantially less than the most recent regular sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:28 PM

17 posts, read 22,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
If I lived in Fairfax county, in a house valued exactly the same, I would pay $2,500 less in taxes. Seems like a bargain to me! !
If your house in Loudoun was located in a nice part of Fairfax County (McLean, Vienna, Great Falls, or Oakton), your house would be valued much more than it is now in Loudoun and you would be paying a lot more taxes than you do now.

Quote:
Some schools in Loudoun are better than some schools in Fairfax. It all depends on the neighborhood. Richer areas always have better schools, smart kids in--smart kids out!
The better (richer) schools in Fairfax are better than the better (richer) schools in Loudoun.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:54 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,697,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
It's interesting to see on there that they list the foreclosed properties in a neighborhood as "invalid sale price." A foreclosure on my street just sold for substantially less than the most recent regular sale.

The County taxman uses the concept of "arm's length sale" where neither party is acting under duress. Typically, in foreclosure sales, one party is acting under duress...

Old 05-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Yes, whoever bought it (they haven't moved in yet) got a good deal for that reason! The departing neighbors left quickly and quietly --understandably, it wasn't something they wanted to talk about, and they had very little communication with the rest of the neighborhood while they lived here.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,963,558 times
Quote:
I've been told that those houses don't count as comparables. But who knows?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend69 View Post
If your house in Loudoun was located in a nice part of Fairfax County (McLean, Vienna, Great Falls, or Oakton), your house would be valued much more than it is now in Loudoun and you would be paying a lot more taxes than you do now.

Well, yes. Richer is richer.

The better (richer) schools in Fairfax are better than the better (richer) schools in Loudoun.
Again, richer is richer.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, whoever bought it (they haven't moved in yet) got a good deal for that reason! The departing neighbors left quickly and quietly --understandably, it wasn't something they wanted to talk about, and they had very little communication with the rest of the neighborhood while they lived here.
The same thing happened in my neighborhood in western Loudoun. It was close to two years before a new family moved in. It took a long time to get it on the market, then a long time to get a contract, and then a long time for the bank to agree. But we finally got some nice neighbors on our court!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 PM

17 posts, read 22,595 times
Quote:
Again, richer is richer.
Again, "better" is relative.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I've been told that those houses don't count as comparables. But who knows?
No, they don't. But I didn't know that for sure until I clicked on the link you posted and actually looked through the comps. I've looked up sale prices and history before but not the comps. So thanks for educating me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia