Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

By Miranda S. Spivack
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 9, 2010; C01

Plans to move more than 19,000 defense workers to far-flung sites along Interstate 95 in Northern Virginia by fall 2011 are expected to add thousands of car commuters to the region's road network, further clogging an area with the nation's second-worst traffic.

State and local officials, running short of time and money, aren't certain they can do enough to widen roads, build exit ramps and make other fixes by the deadline mandated by the 2005 federal base realignment and closings plan. Making matters worse, many workers will move from public transit even as regional policymakers push for job growth near transit lines.

At least 13,000 jobs are slated to relocate from Crystal City, two subway stops from the Pentagon, to areas largely dependent on cars.

The changes will create at least two new choke points along the I-95 corridor near Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County and near Seminary Road in Alexandria.

The BRAC job shifts stem from post-9/11 worries by federal officials that the cluster of defense operations near the Pentagon and Reagan National Airport are at risk of attack, threatening national security.

Although the changes might ease security concerns, Fairfax County Supervisor Jeff C. McKay (D-Lee) and other officials fear traffic tie-ups could be worse than expected. "There are 20,000 jobs being moved up and down that corridor. There may be 20,000 to 60,000 private-sector employees moving, too,"McKay said.

Rep. James P. Moran Jr. (D-Va.), whose district is greatly affected by the transfers, predicted car commutes of up to five hours each day.Workers will be "forced onto our highways, hindering their productivity," he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Sounds like property values here in Mount Vernon will be on the upswing. Woohoo!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I read that articles and traffic is indeed going to stink. I'm surprised they didn't make reference to the idea of expanding REX (Richmond Highway Express) from the Huntington Metro station.

As I've been saying for a while, I believe that the Route 1 corridor of Alexandria South is poised for a major upgrade in housing values once BRAC shifts to Fort Belvoir. I feel that prospective buyers that are a little patient would get tremendous value by purchasing a home in this area. And the already well-regarded waterfront communities - Belle View, Fort Hunt, Mount Vernon etc. - may even become the equivalent of McLean in terms of home values.

And no, I am not a realtor. lol

Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilag View Post
The BRAC job shifts stem from post-9/11 worries by federal officials that the cluster of defense operations near the Pentagon and Reagan National Airport are at risk of attack, threatening national security.
This was the most interesting part of the article to me. Sounds like a nightmare though unless some kind of relief is/will be planned for commuters. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Don't most of these soon-to-be-relocated workers already live here? This is not some massive influx of defense workers like back in 40's.

I don't think moving 13,000 folks out of Crystal City will have any effect on the residential real estate market. Are people that live in Arlington, Falls Church, etc going to move to Belvoir? I doubt it.

On second thought...maybe they will, if their new commute to Belvoir or Mark Center takes 3 hours each way...LOL

Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilag View Post
By Miranda S. Spivack
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 9, 2010; C01

Moderator cut: Copyright issue: A snippet of a couple of lines and a link, please. Too much of the article reproduced on the forum is a copyright issue. Thanks.

Although the changes might ease security concerns, Fairfax County Supervisor Jeff C. McKay (D-Lee) and other officials fear traffic tie-ups could be worse than expected. "There are 20,000 jobs being moved up and down that corridor. There may be 20,000 to 60,000 private-sector employees moving, too,"McKay said.

Rep. James P. Moran Jr. (D-Va.), whose district is greatly affected by the transfers, predicted car commutes of up to five hours each day.Workers will be "forced onto our highways, hindering their productivity," he said.
What a dopey article, all based on two politicians who want more pork for their districts. Could this be more obvious? The Post writer is an idiot if she believes what politicians tell her. Of course it's good for scaring democrats into voting for Moran and McKay. These are simply pleas for more pork for Jim Moran's district! That should work. Pelosi will come up with the money, and Moran can brag about it. Will it make any difference in traffic? Not a bit.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-15-2010 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue

Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Don't most of these soon-to-be-relocated workers already live here? This is not some massive influx of defense workers like back in 40's.

I don't think moving 13,000 folks out of Crystal City will have any effect on the residential real estate market. Are people that live in Arlington, Falls Church, etc going to move to Belvoir? I doubt it.

On second thought...maybe they will, if their new commute to Belvoir or Mark Center takes 3 hours each way...LOL
You're right. It won't make a bit of difference. It's just politicians looking for a way to get more pork into their district.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:

Oh so these jobs will always be done by the same people commuting from other places? There won't ever be any future openings from them that could cause someone to want to live nearby? I didn't realize.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Quote:
I saw a study a while back that showed that a lot of these employees commute from further south -- Fredericksburg, Woodbridge, etc. Meaning they'll be getting off the highway sooner to go to Fort Belvoir rather than Crystal City. Those who live between Crystal City and Fort Belvoir will be doing a reverse commute.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I saw a study a while back that showed that a lot of these employees commute from further south -- Fredericksburg, Woodbridge, etc. Meaning they'll be getting off the highway sooner to go to Fort Belvoir rather than Crystal City. Those who live between Crystal City and Fort Belvoir will be doing a reverse commute.
I was wondering about this very thing. Thanks for the insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia