Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,884 times

Advertisements

Anyone lives there or has insights on this neighborhood? We are a family with young kids, so our concerns are pretty standard - safety, good schools, friendliness of the residents, overall look and feel, etc. We understand it's not the most upscale, but wondering about liveability..Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,249,535 times
Live in the neighborhood across Walter Reed in Nauck. Umm...its quiet. No def not North Arlington. Its quiet and I like it. You'll have a lot of the amenities of Arlington without the Ballston and Clarendon price tag.

Everyone will tell you to pick North Arlington and steer clear of South Arlington. And honestly if you can afford it go for it. I like North Arlignton too but its so expensive. But this is a really safe and quiet area there are some trouble spots and I've mentioned before in other threads like the corner of 24th and Shirlington. It is a hot mess with folks just hanging on the corner at all hours. But honestly they're not doing anything its more aesthetically displeasing than anything else. Also I've heard that you have to be careful on Four Mile Run but I have a friend on Four Mile and never had problem while visiting. Sometimes I walk down the hill to visit versus driving.

So long story short if you found a nice house in Douglas Park I say go for it. My street is super quiet and I'm like 10-15 minutes from the city, 10 minutes from Clarendon and Crystal City. Also if you wanna go out to eat Shirlington is like 3 minutes away and has like a dozen restaurants. Good luck and welcome to South Arlington :-).

Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Terrence81, thank you for your response - makes me feel much better about the neighborhood. Just curious, which part of the Four Mile run would you consider a trouble spot? The area next to Walter Reed drive does not look too bad to me with the new West Village of Shirlington condo buildings right there unless there is something that I am not aware of. The part closer to Columbia Pike seems more questionable, especially the shopping plaza.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,249,535 times
Howdy Soarres. I personally have not had any trouble with Four Mile Run. But I think its the area closer to Columbia Pike is supposed to be the trouble spot. Right, my friend stays in West Village and I've left his condo at all kinds of hours, walked back up the hill to my place without a problem. So yeah, West Village is cool. Very very nice condos on the inside and to think they used to be housing projects. I'd recommend them if you can afford it, but honestly they're kinda pricey but everything is very nice and new looking so you pay for quality I suppose. Oh yeah, don't know if you have pets, but there's a dog park on Walter Reed right by the fire station; so I would imagine that's a nice touch if one has dogs.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:06 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,084 times
Soarres, I've heard (from neighbors and from friends who teach there) that Arlington is getting closer to approving funding for a new building for the high school to which Douglas Park feeds. This is happening despite the economy, for many reasons, including:

--Arlington decided to raise taxes about 10% this year.
--Community members have been very active in pushing the govt. for equity and fairness relative to North Arlington. The high schools there have been rebuilt in recent years.
--The No. Arlington high school building costs have come in much less than anticipated (due to good management and good luck in that labor costs have gone done in recent years).
--If Arl. delayed the work on the So. Arl. high school costs were expected to increase dramatically.

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakefie...y,_Virginia%29

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 AM

107 posts, read 250,955 times
I'm living in the West Village and anywhere along the Four Mile Run is fine. I love where I am located actually. Quiet, right next to the bike path, and I feel pretty safe in this area as a female, but I do not make it a habit to travel around at night. I am out at night on my bike but try not to get close to Columbia Pike at those hours. CP is fine during the day but if you take a look around during the day you might avoid it at night. Really, it just comes down to being aware of your surroundings.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:57 PM

ACWhite, thanks for the "insider tip"! Good to hear Soth Arlington is getting some love from the county leaders too. Wondering if the new building will have any effect on the general opinion on the Wakefield school since every arlingtonian's mantra seems to be "want good schools? Move to N Arlington!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia