Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,337,943 times

Advertisements

My kids daycare holds some of these summer camps. My thinking is your daughter could call all the local daycares and see if they could put her name on a list so when people sign up they could give out her name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes!! We just need to *find* these people.

I was one of those moms who wanted to put her kids in some sort of summer activity but because I worked full time, I could never get them to some 9-12 camp. And, I never had any luck finding a reliable college student to take care of it for me. It's just hard to find that family that needs you. There are, literally, about 80 ads on Craigslist of college kids/high school kids trying to do this very same work. I don't know if they ever get anywhere but Craigslist has gotten kind of creepy so not sure if that's the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,722,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
This might sound a little crazy, but is there anyone that you work/commute with that might know of someone looking for a sitter? I know that I personally wouldn't look on Craigslist for a sitter for my kids, but if I had a friend at work that knew of someone that was good, I might change my summer camp plans and instead hire a "known" sitter.
Unfortunately, no leads yet on this. I've networked with everyone I know. Most people I do know, have grown kids and, to boot, we don't have any little kids in our neighborhood--mostly a lot of retirees.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,974,473 times
Does she want a job to make spending money, or to gain resume experience? I ask because volunteering is probably the BEST summer "work" I ever did. I took classes at the junior college in the mornings to knock some prereqs out at a fraction of the cost, and spent my afternoons volunteering at the animal shelter. She could get a lot of great experience (even leadership roles) as a volunteer that will translate to a good next job.

It's tough to find summer work--most of the dog walking/daycare/training jobs I've seen want you to commit to at least 6-12 months. They don't want to train someone and lose them after 3 months. On the other hand, non profits are always desperate for people, and will take anything you have to offer.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Does she want a job to make spending money, or to gain resume experience? I ask because volunteering is probably the BEST summer "work" I ever did. I took classes at the junior college in the mornings to knock some prereqs out at a fraction of the cost, and spent my afternoons volunteering at the animal shelter. She could get a lot of great experience (even leadership roles) as a volunteer that will translate to a good next job.

It's tough to find summer work--most of the dog walking/daycare/training jobs I've seen want you to commit to at least 6-12 months. They don't want to train someone and lose them after 3 months. On the other hand, non profits are always desperate for people, and will take anything you have to offer.
She needs money. She needs to pay for some of her school and she would like to have some gas money and some spending money for the summer. I am past the point of funding her good times! Most likely, though, she will be able to stay for more than the summer. Her chances of going back to her college are about 5%. She will be sticking around and going to NOVA most likely.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:28 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,735,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
She needs money. She needs to pay for some of her school and she would like to have some gas money and some spending money for the summer. I am past the point of funding her good times! Most likely, though, she will be able to stay for more than the summer. Her chances of going back to her college are about 5%. She will be sticking around and going to NOVA most likely.
Does she have a sense of what she'd like to study? If so, I would strongly suggest the internship route. Who knows -- she might even be able to find a job that will kick-start her career after college.

I know you had mentioned you didn't want her working in DC due to the low wage/commute cost. However, there are (paid) internships all over northern Virginia.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Does she have a sense of what she'd like to study? If so, I would strongly suggest the internship route. Who knows -- she might even be able to find a job that will kick-start her career after college.

I know you had mentioned you didn't want her working in DC due to the low wage/commute cost. However, there are (paid) internships all over northern Virginia.
No, she doesn't really have an idea at this point. Also, since her GPA was not stellar, I'm pretty sure she's not a good candidate (at least this year) for internship. We're not being negative, just realistic. She needs to spend some more time in school, mature a bit, and get some responsibility with a job. Maybe next year.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 PM

380 posts, read 1,065,681 times
safety glasses
gas can
lawn mower.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM

19 posts, read 86,842 times
Cashier at a local waterpark maybe or the larger pools that have a snackbar. Some of the bigger name Realtors in the area may need additional help with admin duties as summer is a busy time of year, especially these days with the short sales. More & more pop up through spring & summer. Possibly same for some of the larger car dealerships? I also agree that a lot of working mothers will be looking for help in just a few weeks. When I was a teenager this meant I could lounge at the pool keeping my cousins & their friends from beating on each other & get paid.

The fast paced life in the DC Metro will leave some looking for someone to run errands for them & be their gopher so they can enjoy more of their summer or more time with family. Maybe start her own doggy daycare business since a lot of people don't want to board their animals when they go on vacation. A posting on craigslist offering to run errands, pet sit or house sit may generate something.

Also, not sure how open to this you are but Hooters paid my bills very well for a few years while I was in & out of school, trying to find my niche in life & supplemented my not so great income once in an entry level position. I'm sure there will be plenty of negative reactions to me even bringing up Hooters b/c of the stereotypes. Don't judge & assume if you've never been to a Hooters & ONE visit where you did happen to get the stereotype for your server doesn't count! Yes the typical steretype is Hooters Girl = ditzy, slutty, gold digging, same as a stripper, etc. They're in every workplace. How many assistants in the corporate world turn into the gold digging mistress?? But honestly, most Hooters Girls are there while they get an education & no, they're not stupid.

Every summer we had plenty of girls that came to work for a few months, would return every few weeks sometimes to work weekends/fall/winter/spring break when they needed the cash. A good Hooters Girl with an outgoing personality (willing to talk & laugh with her customers, not complaining about her boyfriend/sister/best friend/family to customers that are there to enjoy their meal & watch some baseball, etc.) And NO, they do not hire based on bra size & NO it's not asked on the application! Image is a deciding factor as they're an image based concept...meaning no crazy hair styles or colors, no lime green 2 inch fingernails, etc. They strive for the "girl next door" look, not the freak/goth vampire next door, the stoner-hippie next door, the hooker next door, etc.

I know in this economy it's got to be even more difficult than in the days when I needed part time or temporary work & you have to get more & more creative. Good luck to your daughter.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 PM

4,483 posts, read 8,187,778 times
What about plant nurseries? Lake Ridge Nursery and Meadow Farm are both in Woodbridge and come to mind.

Uncle Julios just opened up near the Wegmans. They might need more folks.

Has she checked the local park system? PWC has a ton of parks and might need more attendants.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays077 View Post
Cashier at a local waterpark maybe or the larger pools that have a snackbar. Some of the bigger name Realtors in the area may need additional help with admin duties as summer is a busy time of year, especially these days with the short sales. More & more pop up through spring & summer. Possibly same for some of the larger car dealerships? I also agree that a lot of working mothers will be looking for help in just a few weeks. When I was a teenager this meant I could lounge at the pool keeping my cousins & their friends from beating on each other & get paid.

The fast paced life in the DC Metro will leave some looking for someone to run errands for them & be their gopher so they can enjoy more of their summer or more time with family. Maybe start her own doggy daycare business since a lot of people don't want to board their animals when they go on vacation. A posting on craigslist offering to run errands, pet sit or house sit may generate something.

Also, not sure how open to this you are but Hooters paid my bills very well for a few years while I was in & out of school, trying to find my niche in life & supplemented my not so great income once in an entry level position. I'm sure there will be plenty of negative reactions to me even bringing up Hooters b/c of the stereotypes. Don't judge & assume if you've never been to a Hooters & ONE visit where you did happen to get the stereotype for your server doesn't count! Yes the typical steretype is Hooters Girl = ditzy, slutty, gold digging, same as a stripper, etc. They're in every workplace. How many assistants in the corporate world turn into the gold digging mistress?? But honestly, most Hooters Girls are there while they get an education & no, they're not stupid.

Every summer we had plenty of girls that came to work for a few months, would return every few weeks sometimes to work weekends/fall/winter/spring break when they needed the cash. A good Hooters Girl with an outgoing personality (willing to talk & laugh with her customers, not complaining about her boyfriend/sister/best friend/family to customers that are there to enjoy their meal & watch some baseball, etc.) And NO, they do not hire based on bra size & NO it's not asked on the application! Image is a deciding factor as they're an image based concept...meaning no crazy hair styles or colors, no lime green 2 inch fingernails, etc. They strive for the "girl next door" look, not the freak/goth vampire next door, the stoner-hippie next door, the hooker next door, etc.

I know in this economy it's got to be even more difficult than in the days when I needed part time or temporary work & you have to get more & more creative. Good luck to your daughter.
No worries, we don't have an issue with Hooters! She actually went by there and they weren't hiring right now. They take apps but said nothing was open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia