Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 42,250 times

Advertisements

I am new to the FCPS area and wondering if anyone knows of any current or near future redistricting in the McLean, Madison, Marshall high school zones? Also, could anyone provide any information on Colvin Run Elementary in Vienna. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolsinNova View Post
I am new to the FCPS area and wondering if anyone knows of any current or near future redistricting in the McLean, Madison, Marshall high school zones? Also, could anyone provide any information on Colvin Run Elementary in Vienna. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
No redistricting is planned or likely to take place any time in the near future. FCPS will have its hands full dealing with future redistrictings that are already being discussed for the southwestern part of the county and in the Annandale HS area. You can find details on the "Southwestern Regional" and "Annandale Regional" studies on the FCPS web site (www.fcps.edu) but neither involves the schools you've mentioned.

In addition, Marshall is about to get a $90 million renovation to increase its capacity from roughly 1500 to 1900 students, but that will take several years. Once the Marshall renovations are complete, I would not be at all surprised if FCPS takes a look at the Langley/McLean/Marshall/Madison/Falls Church HS boundaries. I can't see FCPS keeping Marshall's enrollment at around 1500 if it has capacity for 1900 students, and the only way Marshall will pull in anywhere close to that number of students is if there's a lot of new housing in Tysons and/or the boundaries are adjusted. And, since the bulk of the new housing that's likely to end up in Tysons will be higher density housing that attracts singles or families without children, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "attendance islands" in Vienna that are currently assigned to Colvin Run ES/Longfellow MS/McLean HS are reassigned some day to Kilmer MS/Marshall HS - particularly since Longfellow is also now well above-capacity. But these studies take a fair amount of time themselves and, even when new boundaries are implemented, students already at a particular school often are grandfathered.

Of course, most people would be happy to be in any of these school districts, but since you've asked I've given you my honest assessment. Good luck.

Last edited by JD984; 05-18-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 72,830 times
We moved here from California when my son was about to start 6th grade and he went to Colvin Run (GT Program). Although we were there only a year I have nothing bad to say about it. Great teachers, and the principal went out of his way to welcome my son (and always remembered my husband and me, too). New building and nice facilities. Lots of great programs and activities.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolsinNova View Post
Colvin Run has an excellent reputation. Marshall has always been under enrolled, and it's an IB school, so redistricting there is unlikely. Students won't be moved OUT of Marshall. Some Madison students could be redistricted out, as they were last year, when a small number were sent to under enrolled South Lakes. However, I think it's unlikely in the next few years. Those students who live in the actual town of Vienna are very unlikely to be redistricted out. Madison has become the town high school and town officials are protective of their high school. I can't speak to McLean since I know little about its enrollment.

Langley high school has been over crowded forever with a HUGE geographical district. Langley's school board representative, Janie Strauss, has always protected it from any redistricting. Since McLean is also her district, I would expect that she would do the same there. BUT, she is in her mid 60's and served on the school board 15 years. I have heard rumors that she may not run again next year, but those are strictly rumors. She's always seemed to love her job on the board.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
No redistricting is planned or likely to take place any time in the near future. FCPS will have its hands full dealing with future redistrictings that are already being discussed for the southwestern part of the county and in the Annandale HS area. You can find details on the "Southwestern Regional" and "Annandale Regional" studies on the FCPS web site (www.fcps.edu) but neither involves the schools you've mentioned.

In addition, Marshall is about to get a $90 million renovation to increase its capacity from roughly 1500 to 1900 students, but that will take several years. Once the Marshall renovations are complete, I would not be at all surprised if FCPS takes a look at the Langley/McLean/Marshall/Madison/Falls Church HS boundaries. I can't see FCPS keeping Marshall's enrollment at around 1500 if it has capacity for 1900 students, and the only way Marshall will pull in anywhere close to that number of students is if there's a lot of new housing in Tysons and/or the boundaries are adjusted. And, since the bulk of the new housing that's likely to end up in Tysons will be higher density housing that attracts singles or families without children, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "attendance islands" in Vienna that are currently assigned to Colvin Run ES/Longfellow MS/McLean HS are reassigned some day to Kilmer MS/Marshall HS - particularly since Longfellow is also now well above-capacity. But these studies take a fair amount of time themselves and, even when new boundaries are implemented, students already at a particular school often are grandfathered.

Of course, most people would be happy to be in any of these school districts, but since you've asked I've given you my honest assessment. Good luck.
How typical of FCPS to spend a fortune increasing capacity at a school that has never been over enrolled. Why necessitate a boundary change?! Why spend millions adding to a school that doesn't need it?! Totally idiotic and a total waste of taxpayer's money.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
How typical of FCPS to spend a fortune increasing capacity at a school that has never been over enrolled. Why necessitate a boundary change?! Why spend millions adding to a school that doesn't need it?! Totally idiotic and a total waste of taxpayer's money.
The main reason that Marshall has been underenrolled at times in the past has been that its attendance area includes the heart of Tysons Corner, with its office buildings and shopping centers. If the Town of Vienna included an equally large number of office buildings, Madison would be under-enrolled. It is not really because Marshall has an IB program. There are currently AP schools that are significantly underenrolled (Falls Church) and IB schools that are significantly overenrolled (Annandale).

Marshall deserves to be renovated, but the plans to increase its capacity are purportedly in anticipation of new housing being built in Tysons in the coming years. However, FCPS traditionally overestimates the number of students who will live in the type of suburban, multi-family housing most likely to be built eventually in Tysons. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if there is some redistricting down the road. If that were to occur, the most likely areas to be redistricted would include students who live in the county, not the Town of Vienna, and attend Westbriar or Wolftrap ES, and then Kilmer MS/Madison HS and/or students who live in the Colvin Run or Timber Lane ES district and currently attend Longfellow MS/McLean HS. But, again, I don't think any of this would happen any time soon.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 PM

132 posts, read 324,213 times
Quote:

Jeb,

Do you think the redistricting for Marshall HS will happen in the next 4 - 6 years? And if it happens, the probability for the "attendance islands" in Vienna to be affected is still high? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 AM

45 posts, read 62,476 times
Quote:

I'm curious, why are they expanding a high school to add seats if they don't have that many students in the school? Seems odd to spend all that money to expand a school when they don't need the extra seats.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 AM

45 posts, read 62,476 times
Sorry, I just realized that this is an old thread.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM

244 posts, read 565,790 times
Any attempt to redistrict Langley boundaries will be extremely unpopular. The property owners of homes in the Langley district will likely agree to fund necessary expansions to Langley before agreeing to shrink its boundary. I know I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia