Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 15,636 times

Advertisements

I hope I am in the right place and if not someone scold me, there was no central VA cat. that I could find. And please feel free to direct me to the RIGHT category.

I have been looking for almost 8 months now for a SMALL rental hobby farm (PREFER RENT TO OWN!!) in the general Cville area. Ive done Craigslist, Kijiji etc. Ive placed want ads and have had people contact me and either they are offering me 800k equine estates (haha) or they contact me and then fall off the planet-I had one of those who HAD the perfect place and just stopped emailing with no explination (scam??) and another one from WV (not interested as it was a moutain property)

I am in FL and I do not travel well (I will be making a one way trip but can send my dear ex up on a plane to check out the place and sign whatever needs to be signed on my behalf etc.) and I NEED to leave due to my health and the heat and humidity. Ive done my research and tho I see Cville area can have some hot days, its overall a deleightful cliimate year round (yes I know it snows) and the humidity is no where near as oppressive as here (70 to 75 dewpoints all summer long and hurricanes!) and tho there are 90 degree days, they are quickly followed by 82 degree days in the summer, that a hot spell might last 2 weeks, not 95 plus every day for 6 mo like it is here.

Anyhow Im rambling a bit and I hope some sympathetic soul or another middle aged hobby farmer can help me/point me in the right direction as to how to find a place.

Im in my mid 40's, Im single and no kids, I have a very supportive and generous prof. ex and a disability check so modestly decent and consistant money is not an issue and I work from home with my writing and arts and selling the babies from my llittle hobby farm. He can transfer to the alexandria area but I do not want to live there-neither does he, if he could find a Cville job he might join me at a later date (yes he's and ex but there is no fighting, we are best friends). I am a present homeowner/hobbyfarm owner with my ex (he lives elsewhere). I have mini horses and ponies (and one horse and one mini donkey) and I have chickens (all will be sold b4 a move but I would like a place where I could keep them again and continue to breed and sell eggs) and I have 6 pugs that are family (with their own crates porch yard and cared for) and 1 medium non pit bull mutt who adopted me years ago.

I do NOT have squeaky credit, in fact I would go as far as saying right now its bad, due to a death in the family, med expenses leading up to her death etc., and other personal reasons but nothing evil, not like I took some 3 week vac on plaastic and then said WTH Im not going to pay. but rental companies dont see it that way, they dont see the person, they see the score and FORGET buying another place the conventional way. I dont drink and I dont do drugs and I dern sure dont let my dogs tear up the house (here they have their own room, crates, porch and yard and of course they do get couch time and are well cared for with the vet!

If push came to shove (which Im hoping it wont) I could reduce my equine herd to just 2 or 3 of my fav minis. It would break my heart but after much thought I might could reduce my dogs to 3 or 4. Im allergic to cats so no worries there. Anyway I slice it I need to get out of this climate and am getting desperate. I live semi rural now and when I go for a drive every other place here is for sale or rent or getting overgrown with weeds (forclosures??) Im sure its that way all over but I cant drive around up there and jot down ph numbers.

Where do I turn to find a place/person to get a lease to own hobby farm for myself and my little family of pugs n ponies?? Im simple and can live quaint -but CLEAN and CUTE-I am NOT a handly and and short of a coat of paint and plants in the ground, I dont do fixer uppers(if I get rid of a lot of stuff lol) and can downsize and reduce myself to a 3-6 acre place with a 2br 1 bath type place. Humble but NOT in any remote or drug or crime infested areas. Any ideas on where to post, where to look as I sit at my computer here in FL?? Please if ANYONE has ANY ideas of how I can find a place, even if its a rental for say a year to make sure Im an honest person etc. for a year and then go to a rent to own situation that would be wonderful and understandable. When I look under VA farms all I find are sprawling 8mil estates. :-/ Im a cabin with a porch with a little garden and good fencing and some out buildings and a sign out front that says FARM FRESH EGGS kinda person. Thank You for reading and please ANY IDEAS contact me. I can move in a months to 2 months time if I had to, would prefer a little more planning that that, but really need to be up there around fall if not before as Im not moving in snow. THANKS! NonFictionRighter@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: