Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,966,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
I have been visited by a census volunteer five times already and two of the times she left a note that she would return. The third I spoke to her and told her nicely that I was not interested in filling it out. She left but not before threatening me that she would be back with her supervisor. I have read the government laws and nowhere I can find that it is a requirement for me as a citizen to fill it out. Instead part of it says that I can be only visited three times and I can be fined up to 100 dollars. Has anyone here had any experience in this area? Is there any government authority I can speak to to end this (almost) harassment?
The census is one of the very few things that our government requires of citizens. It's the law and is actually for your benefit so that you get equal representation in Congress.

What's your problem with it? What is it that you are trying to hide?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,475,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
I have been visited by a census volunteer five times already and two of the times she left a note that she would return. The third I spoke to her and told her nicely that I was not interested in filling it out. She left but not before threatening me that she would be back with her supervisor. I have read the government laws and nowhere I can find that it is a requirement for me as a citizen to fill it out. Instead part of it says that I can be only visited three times and I can be fined up to 100 dollars. Has anyone here had any experience in this area? Is there any government authority I can speak to to end this (almost) harassment?
When you don't fill out the census, you are not counted in the allocation of assets/funds/resources/representation which can lead to unnecessary overburdening for others. There are probably hundreds of thousands like you who have this attitude towards filling out survey forms. These people don't have a problem using government resources, but then show a distrust of the government when it comes to actually helping out your fellow citizens.

Please take the time to fulfill your duty as a citizen.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 AM

8,994 posts, read 21,224,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Since there is absolutely nothing NOVA-specific about the 2010 Census....you should visit the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Type "census" into the search box...and you can read all day and half the night about it.

Good point!

Rather than move this thread over to the P&OC or Great Debates forums -where I'm sure there are indeed several iterations of this subject - I am going to simply close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia