Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM

106 posts, read 239,919 times

Advertisements

I have been visited by a census volunteer five times already and two of the times she left a note that she would return. The third I spoke to her and told her nicely that I was not interested in filling it out. She left but not before threatening me that she would be back with her supervisor. I have read the government laws and nowhere I can find that it is a requirement for me as a citizen to fill it out. Instead part of it says that I can be only visited three times and I can be fined up to 100 dollars. Has anyone here had any experience in this area? Is there any government authority I can speak to to end this (almost) harassment?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,686,094 times
Why do you want to evade this? What are you trying to hide? Rather ironic that you want "A GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY" to end your "harassment" when you refuse to cooperate and acknowledge to the government that you exist.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 PM

106 posts, read 239,919 times
Thank you very much for your input.

BTW: My wife's a Yankees fan too. Goooo Yankees!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,313,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
I have been visited by a census volunteer five times already and two of the times she left a note that she would return. The third I spoke to her and told her nicely that I was not interested in filling it out. She left but not before threatening me that she would be back with her supervisor. I have read the government laws and nowhere I can find that it is a requirement for me as a citizen to fill it out. Instead part of it says that I can be only visited three times and I can be fined up to 100 dollars. Has anyone here had any experience in this area? Is there any government authority I can speak to to end this (almost) harassment?
U.S. Code, Title 13 - Census
Quote:
Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully
neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized
officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency
thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized
officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions
on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey
provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title,
applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related,
or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall
be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of
this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in
such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be
fined not more than $500.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person
shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious
beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Just answer the questions - honestly - and the census worker won't be back. It's that simple. And no, it's not harassment, just someone trying to do their job.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,725 times
The census has been taken every 10 years since 1790, it's not anything new. If you'd sent your form in, no one would have come to your door.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Since there is absolutely nothing NOVA-specific about the 2010 Census....you should visit the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Type "census" into the search box...and you can read all day and half the night about it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM

25 posts, read 47,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
The census has been taken every 10 years since 1790, it's not anything new. If you'd sent your form in, no one would have come to your door.

Maybe not come to your door, but our tax dollars are once again not being used appropriately ... case in point, I DID fill out my form and send it in and got a phone call from the Census Bureau. They stated they did in fact receive my form filled out in full, but wanted to "verify" my information. They were asking sooooooo much personal information. It was ridiculous. I finally ended the call. I know it was them. They had called about 5 times previously leaving messages. Insane!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,954,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnaH View Post
Yes, it's the law, so why not complete the form? It won't take you more than 5 minutes. If you want equal representation, you need to complete it.

Please, just fill out the form and save the rest of us the money that it costs us to have census takers come to your house. Generations from now, your descendants will appreciate your efforts when they trace their family tree.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,954,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyrlt View Post
Maybe not come to your door, but our tax dollars are once again not being used appropriately ... case in point, I DID fill out my form and send it in and got a phone call from the Census Bureau. They stated they did in fact receive my form filled out in full, but wanted to "verify" my information. They were asking sooooooo much personal information. It was ridiculous. I finally ended the call. I know it was them. They had called about 5 times previously leaving messages. Insane!
That is NOT the government. That's a scam! Do NOT give them any information. The census takers do not call you, they come directly to your door so that they can show you official ID's. There are lots of these scammers now who are mining for information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia