Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,468,616 times

Advertisements

Many thanks for all the details. It's great to have a good idea of what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So far, I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't gotten my first bill yet....
I hear that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 01:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,305,868 times
I don't know what the issue is yet but my two sister in laws both have FIOS. One is in Manassas and one is in Reston. The one in Reston is having phone quality issues and the one in Manassas is having issues with the internet. She's been without internet for a few days now. I believe I'll wait and see how this plays out before making a decision.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 PM

320 posts, read 713,723 times
I noticed that it is taking them a long time to install their service. It took them from approx. 10 to 4 PM at our neighbor's house and it was about the same amount of time at another house -- does it really take this long to install it???

Old 07-03-2010, 03:59 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,722,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
I noticed that it is taking them a long time to install their service. It took them from approx. 10 to 4 PM at our neighbor's house and it was about the same amount of time at another house -- does it really take this long to install it???
It really depends on how each situation is and how easy it is to get the wiring into the house to where the router connects. When you sign up they tell you that they could be there as long as 6 hours. My install took about 3.5 hours (I had 3 HD TVs and 2 non-HD TVs). It comes into one place but they do set up all your boxes for your, your internet, make sure all your extra computers can go wireless.

My coworker's install only took about 2 hours.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:18 PM

320 posts, read 713,723 times
Do they use the same cable that is running throughout the house?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Do they use the same cable that is running throughout the house?
Yes.

They bring their line up to the house and install a box on the side of your house. From their, they take their cable and run it from the outside into the inside wiring of your house to where your router jack is going to be. I was "lucky" in that my jack just happened to be a few feet from the box. The box only goes where the phone stuff is for your house. They had trouble getting the wire from the box to where the jack was--it was just very tight. If they cannot get the wire to your jack, you then somehow goe wireless. You get a thumbdrive to attach to your computer which gets the signal from the outside box. I almost had to have that but they were finally able to get the wire in. Once that is done, you are good to go with all your exiting cable.

If you go to Verizon's FIOS page, there is a demonstration of what they do during installation.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 PM

9,784 posts, read 15,855,895 times
We've had ours for 3 years now with no problems in quality with phone, Internet, or tv. I don't remember how long installation took - a few hours for sure - but most of it was outside. The guy wasn't in the house for too long. We've only had one problem in 3 years, and that was with an outside wire (an old wire, I believe) that had gone bad. They came out pretty quickly to fix it. My only complaint is that after our 2-year contract of $99 was up, they automatically started charging us an unbundled rate. By the time I called them about 2 or 3 weeks had passed, so we were stuck paying a high price for that month. Our new rate for the bundled package went up about $20, too but is still cheaper or equal to what we were paying before we got the three services bundled with Verizon. Overall, we are very happy with it.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Several months prior, we got a card in the mail telling us Verizon FIOS was coming. When then saw all the trucks etc. Then we had them right in the neighborhood for 3 days laying the lines through everyone's yard (subsequently ruining my driveway). Once that is complete, they will usually send a Verizon rep door to to door to let you know it's ready and they may ask you then if you want to subscribe.
A Verizon FIOS flyer was left on our front door this morning, letting us know that they would be working in the neighborhood, and the painting of lines has begun ... even one in our front yard. They appear to be moving fairly quickly, although how anyone can move fairly quickly in this heat is beyond me!

But, I'm optimistic that our Comcast days will come to end within the next few months.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
A Verizon FIOS flyer was left on our front door this morning, letting us know that they would be working in the neighborhood, and the painting of lines has begun ... even one in our front yard. They appear to be moving fairly quickly, although how anyone can move fairly quickly in this heat is beyond me!

But, I'm optimistic that our Comcast days will come to end within the next few months.
They laid the lines in our neighborhood in a matter of two days.

The *did* absolutely ruin my driveway which took months to get rectified. I hope you have better luck!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
The *did* absolutely ruin my driveway which took months to get rectified. I hope you have better luck!
Yeah, that bothers me. We had a new concrete driveway and walk put in about 4 years ago, and I'd hate to see it chewed up.

OTOH, Comcast had to replace the outside buried cable running from the area cable box (on the far right side of our front yard) across the width of our front yard and under the new driveway, and nothing was destroyed. I'm hoping that Verizon can do as well as Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia