Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 AM

3 posts, read 10,573 times

Advertisements

We are in Westfield school zone right now. We liked a house in Chantilly school zone and thinking of buying it. Can anybody give me information about which school is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screens View Post
We are in Westfield school zone right now. We liked a house in Chantilly school zone and thinking of buying it. Can anybody give me information about which school is better?
There's not much difference when it comes to any of the criteria that people in this area (and on this forum) frequently use when asserting that one school is "better" than another, such as test scores, advanced academic programs, and demographics. Chantilly HS is older and smaller than Westfield, but they are both among the county's larger high schools.

My impression is that, in that part of the county, people tend to be more focused on the middle schools than the high schools, with some people viewing Carson, Franklin and Rocky Run a bit more favorably than Stone. Part of that, however, may be due to Carson and Rocky Run having GT/AAP programs.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM

My daughter is already in GT in Carson. If we move to the new area, she will be in Rocky Run. Is Rocky Run comparable to Carson? Even though Chantilly and Westfields are both good, I was told Westfields has more gangs/drugs etc. any comment?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 111,008 times
I think they're both very good schools. I don't think gangs are an issue except for the very fringe minority. The drug use is similar to the other schools in the area, mostly recreational pot use. I think Westfields might get a bum rap because of the weird high profile cases of Alicia Lannes heroin overdose and the VA Tech Mass Murderer(incidentally both post graduates). I'd lump both schools into the same group as Centreville, Oakton, Lake Braddock and Robinson. All good academically, good/great sports teams, and over-crowded.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screens View Post
My daughter is already in GT in Carson. If we move to the new area, she will be in Rocky Run. Is Rocky Run comparable to Carson? Even though Chantilly and Westfields are both good, I was told Westfields has more gangs/drugs etc. any comment?
Carson has a bit of a cult status in certain parts of NoVa, because the principal is well-liked and Carson vies with Longfellow for the highest number of students admitted to TJ. But Rocky Run sends lots of kids to TJ as well, and otherwise is pretty similar to Carson. FWIW, Carson and Rocky Run also have the highest percentages of Asian students of the middle schools in Fairfax County (each around 30%).

Agree with Borge on the last comment about Westfield. Because of the high-profile incidents involving a small group of Westfield graduates who had well-publicized drug problems (including several ODs) and the Virginia Tech shooter, people treat Westfield as a repository for every anxiety they may harbor about a large, suburban high school. However, for every troubled kid at Westfield, there are many more who've done well. You can find drugs and gangs in varying degrees at most area high schools, so it's ultimately up to parents to raise their kids properly.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the information. Any idea which subjects/classes are good at these schools. I heard Westfield is famous for it's arts. I appreciate any insight.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
Which school did you finalize? I know this a pretty old thread!
But currently I am in same boat

Old 07-22-2015, 04:17 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,371 times
Depending on what your children are into, CHS has the Academy and a very strong music program (their Jazz bands are pretty incredible).

Old 07-22-2015, 07:03 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Depending on what your children are into, CHS has the Academy and a very strong music program (their Jazz bands are pretty incredible).
Was going to say the same. Can't speak to the comparison of the music programs, but the one thing is if your child is interested in the Chantilly Academy programs, they are already there in the same school rather than having to drive, or be transported from another high school. Don't ever discount the Academy programs if looking at college track courses. They can fit into a student's schedule and provide many opportunities. If you are not familiar with the Academy, here's the link, Chantilly Academy

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,371 times
Several kids I know from the Academy (Math and Eng/STEM) got accepted into VT Engineering early decision. Another one with dental certification is going to pursue an undergraduate program to gear up for his future dental career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia