Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM

19 posts, read 66,073 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job that's located on Kingstowne Village Parkway. It's

an entry level position. Let's say I get the position. I recently graduated from

college and live in Pennsylvania. What is a good area to get an apartment

that would be easy to get from there to the workplace by walking or by bus?

Also what yearly salary would be good enough to survive in Alexandria, VA by

oneself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Kingstowne itself would be a comfortable place to live if a little boring for a recent grad. You may be most attracted to the "Orange Line" area of Arlington, particularly the Clarendon and Ballston neighborhoods, but rents may be prohibitive without a roommate. As a guide, a decent 1BR apt in an "okay" neighborhood will probably run between $1100-1300.

Assuming you had no debt and don't choose an apt in a ultra-trendy neighborhood, $40-45K may be enough for you to get by. $50K - or a roommate - would improve your ability to entertain and/or socialize.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Pretty sure you could look at a map and figure out where you could walk from

For bus routes, check out Metro - Home page There are buses that run from the Springfield metro (end of the blue line) to Kingstowne--so living anywhere along the blue line would be feasible.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a place to live, but Kingstowne is a pretty quiet slice of suburbia. There are a ton of young families, a few big stores (Kohls, Walmart, Ross, grocery stores) and a bunch of chain restaurants. My office is located in the Kingstowne area as well, and as a fresh graduate I chose to live closer into the city because that's where all my friends were, so when we get together in the evening it's always in Arlington or DC. As I get older, I'm slowly starting to move out further, but it was really nice to be in the heart of everything when I was getting used to the area.

Are you not going to have a car? I would think that it would be pretty difficult to go car-less in Kingstowne.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks for your replies. I don't have a car at the moment. The only thing I would care about is getting from home to work easily. If I get the job, I can save up for a car.

Tone, what made you move from Philadelphia to Virginia? It's funny you mention the Orange line. There is something that reminds me of that where I'm from. Except in my case it's a subway route.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagex View Post
Thanks for your replies. I don't have a car at the moment. The only thing I would care about is getting from home to work easily. If I get the job, I can save up for a car.

Tone, what made you move from Philadelphia to Virginia? It's funny you mention the Orange line. There is something that reminds me of that where I'm from. Except in my case it's a subway route.
lol, the orange line is a subway route here too The popular part is the stretch that runs from Rosslyn through Ballston in Arlington, known as the "orange line corridor". If you look at the map on Metro - Home page you'll see the area.

If all you care about is getting from home to work easily, then I would find an apartment in Kingstowne. You'll be able to walk to work, and it's a safe neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Odd to call that "Alexandria" although i'm sure that's what appears in their mailing address. Seems more like "East Springfield". One of those "you can't get there from here" places from Mount Vernon since they closed the road through the base.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Are there many apartment complexes or house rentals in that area?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Are there many apartment complexes or house rentals in that area?
Check homesdatabase.com and input 22315 and you'll get the rentals.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Odd to call that "Alexandria" although i'm sure that's what appears in their mailing address. Seems more like "East Springfield". One of those "you can't get there from here" places from Mount Vernon since they closed the road through the base.
You have a good point about that although I guess we'd have to the talk to the realtors that market the place...or the county official that determined it.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Basically I wanted to pursue what I felt were more plentiful job opportunities. Plus my then long-distance ladyfriend lived here. I've switched gigs but the lady hasn't kicked me to the curb yet. :P

Are you from Philly as well? If so, I know the "Orange Line" that you're thinking of.

Also meant to say that if you do indeed move to Kingstowne, you may want to set aside weekend cabfare for getting home from the Metro late nights. You will definitely want to escape the neighborhood on your weekend nights off and buses will only run so late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia