Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,182 times

Advertisements

I was involved in an accident almost 2 weeks ago and received a summons to appear in traffic court, charged with failure to yield right of way. No one was injured. I have only a speeding ticket (35 in a 25 zone) from 2003 on my record. Today I received solicitations from 3 attorney's offices. Do I need a lawyer for this? I would like to hear from anyone with a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
No, you don't need a lawyer. I HATE how attorney's can find out about traffic summons, etc. Since you have a good record, you most likely will only get a fine (and pts.).

Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
I'm speaking from over three decades as a police officer so take it as you will. I know some people don't like advice from LEO's. I would not hire an attorney unless it's your contention that you are innocent and want to fight the charge. If you plan on pleading guilty then in my opinion you would be wasting your money hiring an attorney. Fines for cases like this are pretty much set at a certain fee and can go up or down based on ones driving record. If you are interested I would go in, plead guilty and ask the judge for driving school. It's one day in a classroom setting or even online from what I've heard. Once completed you drop the certificate back off at the courhouse and the charge is dismissed. I don't know what county this happened so hopefully this works where you are. If driving school is not an option then plead guilty and you'll be out in 15 minutes.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Thanks to all, I appreciate the advice.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,352,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'm speaking from over three decades as a police officer so take it as you will. I know some people don't like advice from LEO's. I would not hire an attorney unless it's your contention that you are innocent and want to fight the charge. If you plan on pleading guilty then in my opinion you would be wasting your money hiring an attorney. Fines for cases like this are pretty much set at a certain fee and can go up or down based on ones driving record. If you are interested I would go in, plead guilty and ask the judge for driving school. It's one day in a classroom setting or even online from what I've heard. Once completed you drop the certificate back off at the courhouse and the charge is dismissed. I don't know what county this happened so hopefully this works where you are. If driving school is not an option then plead guilty and you'll be out in 15 minutes.
That sounds like good advice. Particularly for a routine traffic citation. The only caveat that I would add is that I think there can be a benefit of hiring a lawyer if you are charged with a more serious traffic violation, such as a DUI, even if you intend to plead guilty. Not your situation though, and I would definitely go it alone here.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 AM

68 posts, read 222,767 times
Another option is if Virginia allows deferred adjudication. I'm new to VA so I'm not yet familiar with it's traffic laws but in many states you can ask for deferred adjudication...Basically you pay the fine and are put on probation for a certain number of months and after the probation period if you don't get another ticket it is effectively wiped from your record (ie insurance never learns about it).

Jim

Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm76 View Post
Another option is if Virginia allows deferred adjudication. I'm new to VA so I'm not yet familiar with it's traffic laws but in many states you can ask for deferred adjudication...Basically you pay the fine and are put on probation for a certain number of months and after the probation period if you don't get another ticket it is effectively wiped from your record (ie insurance never learns about it).

Jim
I don't believe VA has this or at least I don't recall ever hearing it referred to as such. I have seen judges withhold a finding for say 6 months and dismiss the case if the person receives no further violations.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
You should feel lucky. In order to raise revenue the officers here give out a lot of Driving to Endanger citations.

I really wish people would post the RESULTS of their trip to court here. We never find out what actually happened.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
You should feel lucky. In order to raise revenue the officers here give out a lot of Driving to Endanger citations.

I really wish people would post the RESULTS of their trip to court here. We never find out what actually happened.
I wish many posters that ask for help with a problem would post results. My court date is not till July 19, I promise to post what happened after it is over. This is in Loudoun County.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post

Lovely. Another "revenue" post. You are wrong but based on the past you don't care about facts. There is no Driving to Endanger law in Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia