Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 12:11 AM

22 posts, read 58,820 times

Advertisements

So I read a few threads by families and young college grads who are looking to move to the Tysons/McLean area and they asked questions such as: "Where should I leave?", "Where would be an easier commute?", "What are the people like at these places?" etc. After reading these threads including the responses I have gotten a few of my own questions answered and gathered enough information to narrow down my search.

I am a 24 year old from Georgia and I am looking to move to the Northern Va. area for a new job starting this July. Being a Georgia resident I have grown accustom to certain things, for instances I like living in townhouses rather than condos or apartments. Since I am factoring the weather, the commute and the type of place of residence what area is a good possible fit to get a townhouse for one single person with not much furniture and with a rent budget between 1200 to 1800? With a rent budget of 1200 to 1800 would the living conditions be good? What search criteria can you recommend me following in finding a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,939,434 times
If you have a roommate, you'll have lots of choices.
If you don't, you will have to live further out from DC and the Tyson's area. Those are the basic search criteria. To be honest, $1200-1800 is what many young professionals pay for a 1 BR apartment, so to get a townhouse at that price point will require compromises on commute time, age of the housing unit, and amenities.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,224,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If you have a roommate, you'll have lots of choices.
If you don't, you will have to live further out from DC and the Tyson's area. Those are the basic search criteria. To be honest, $1200-1800 is what many young professionals pay for a 1 BR apartment, so to get a townhouse at that price point will require compromises on commute time, age of the housing unit, and amenities.
What she said!

Is it important to be in a neighborhood with other young professionals?

Assuming your answer to the second question is "yes"...there is string of neighborhoods in Arlington nicknamed The Orange Line after the Metrorail route that connects them. That area is essentially the 20something mecca of Northern Virginia. However, the commute to Tysons can be a bear. Unfortunately, no other area really comes close, although some may argue that Reston's Town Center is a distant second. But at least that would be a shorter commute. So add access to social life to the potential compromises above.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM

313 posts, read 553,277 times
OP...you'll live pretty damn well on a budget of 1800 on the Orange line, not a townhome, but you should be able to find a servicable condo with plenty of amenities. You also will have a semi reverse commute, though the Beltway is always clogged.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM

993 posts, read 2,496,549 times
See, this is the reason I left Springfield, VA. My wife and I live in a 2,500 square foot house, and the mortgage payment is near the lower end of that scale.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,224,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
See, this is the reason I left Springfield, VA. My wife and I live in a 2,500 square foot house, and the mortgage payment is near the lower end of that scale.
San Antonio is indeed inexpensive; I have relatives there that I visit from time to time. However, I hope you'd admit that Northern Virginia does have its advantages, especially for young professionals like the OP who are looking for job opportunities.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 AM

993 posts, read 2,496,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
San Antonio is indeed inexpensive; I have relatives there that I visit from time to time. However, I hope you'd admit that Northern Virginia does have its advantages, especially for young professionals like the OP who are looking for job opportunities.
Indeed it does, but there is so much competition, and people with advanced degrees that is hard to get your foot in the door. But if you can, you should be in a great situation financially.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,870,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I'm checking out San Antonio (if staying in Louisville don't work job-wise) for that same reason. How are jobs down there?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,204 times
You might find a garden style condo or apartment for rent at that price. You won't find a decent townhouse anywhere near that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia