Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 06:18 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity what is the latest on Winfield? Seen one article on the NWI Times recently where they are thinking of putting a small business center with stores and fast food joint in an agricultural plot . It has been five years since the last post on this thread. I assume it is growing like most of the rest of NWI towns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 07:54 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Just out of curiosity what is the latest on Winfield? Seen one article on the NWI Times recently where they are thinking of putting a small business center with stores and fast food joint in an agricultural plot . It has been five years since the last post on this thread. I assume it is growing like most of the rest of NWI towns
Winfield continues to grow and is becoming more suburban in nature. New subdivisions continue to be developed (and now, Lennar has made an entry with the new large Aylesworth subdivision). Existing subdivisions that had been stalled for various reasons saw new construction pick-up again as well (some faster than others). CPCSC is building their new Taft Middle School in Winfield which will definitely be welcome as students will no longer have to commute "all the way" into CP in the mornings. Most of the growth in Winfield was previously in the areas north of 109th and it has grown more south of 109th as well. while there has been growth south of 117th close to Randolph, I anticipate there will be a lot more growth south of 117th and north of 129th as the new middle school will be dead center along Gibson St. I also anticipate that most of the growth will be mostly cookie cutter homes and less custom homes.

With all of the growth, there have been some negative sentiments along the way that people I know from the area have exclaimed:

1) The lots in new subdivisions are small and there are many more duplexes/townhomes than people would have liked.

2) While there has been some new retail and restaurants growth, it has not been anything upscale in nature. Dollar General being the main culprit.

3) The town has gotten busier and although crime is still very low, it has increased and so concerns about the lack of a police department have grown a bit.

4) While Taft MS is moving to Winfield, some residents in town would have still preferred Winfield to get its own Jr/Sr High School at minimum. I say "some" because others still believe things are fine and that a new Jr/Sr High School would not be fiscally responsible nor a good long-term move.

5) Although technically within CP city limits and not Winfield, some folks have expressed that the new Heather Ridge community just east of 65 and south of 109th should have been more upscale as a gateway to both CP and Winfield. Now that does not make a whole lot of sense to me given the fact that Waterside Crossing across 109th is not upscale either but again, this is just what had been expressed. Heather Ridge was actually supposed to have more duplexes but they agreed to less

As a bonus, once the new Franciscan Health Crown Point is up and running, it is almost fully expected that Andrean High School will move down there and there will be additional growth in Crown Point and Winfield/Winfield Township along 231 all the way into Hebron (which just also landed its first new large housing development in years via Lennar at Park Ridge.

Overall, Winfield is still growing and remaining desirable by most metrics. However, the growth is seen as undesirable for many folks and causing folks to think about or actually move further out to more rural areas especially with the ease of work-from-home these days). A lot of people in CP and Winfield are saying that the area will be Merrillville 2.0. In some ways I can see it (housing growth--even Merrillville has had a resurgence in new home development) and in other ways, I do not (CP and Winfield will likely never have as much retail as the Rt 30 corridor although it is growing along 109th & Broadway area and soon, I-65 and 231.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana