Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM

157 posts, read 403,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I have always wondered, does the 101st boundary affect White Hawk Country Club as well? I heard that most of that subdivision was zoned to Merrillville schools and the other part Crown Point schools, but I am not 100% sure. I couldn't imagine paying that much to live there and being zoned to Merrillville schools!
Yes it does. There is a huge difference now in the available lot prices from the north to the south side of the development. Many lots on the Ross township side are going for pretty cheap. I've seen a few listed in the 50K range. Some of them appear to be bank owned. I've always wondered how homes that sit right on township and county borderlines are handled. For townships, I think the taxes and school corp are based on which side of the border the majority of the lot lies on. I have no idea what happens if a house straddles the border of two counties. This appears to be the case for some of the homes in LOFS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
Yes it does. There is a huge difference now in the available lot prices from the north to the south side of the development. Many lots on the Ross township side are going for pretty cheap. I've seen a few listed in the 50K range. Some of them appear to be bank owned. I've always wondered how homes that sit right on township and county borderlines are handled. For townships, I think the taxes and school corp are based on which side of the border the majority of the lot lies on. I have no idea what happens if a house straddles the border of two counties. This appears to be the case for some of the homes in LOFS.
Only in the $50k range?!?!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:26 PM

157 posts, read 403,288 times
I just checked and there are actually two lots listed for just $45,900. What I find to be even more surprising is that the last two lots sold in the Lake Hills subdivision in St. John closed for only $46,000 and $53,500. I'm guessing those prices must have been due to poor soil conditons which are somewhat common there according to some excavators I know.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,183 times
Have you considered St. John? They have a variety of home price points in that area, the schools are great, close to the Illinois border, and an all around nice community. Check it out.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB2912 View Post
Hello! Our family is relocating and we're very interested in Crown Point / Cedar Lake. We'll be moving in April/May. We have 2 children ages 13 & 7. The schools seem to be great and from what I can tell it looks like a nice area.

Can anyone offer any "inside" information? Are there any areas to avoid? What are your favorite things about the area? My husband will be commuting to Chicago and he's prepared for the commute....any routes better than another?

I appreciate any info you can share!
Hi Queen B- Where is your family relocating from?
The commute from Crown Point Indiana or Cedar lake will be awful at best

Depending where your husband will be working anyhow the main express way to the city the bishop ford from the south is a traffic nightmare. I guess he could be coming in from I 65 to the indiana toll road then over the sky way and onto the dan ryan expressway and that too will be a hard commute.

I would seriously drive the route a few times if possible to get an idea of what i am trying to express and be sure its at the time when he will be going to work if possible the reverse commute the same time of day.

Crown Point is a pretty conservative area so if that is your thing you will fit right in.

There is not presently a commuter train of any kind that far south in the Chicago metro
The closest would be in Hammond Indiana and that would take a long time just to get there to from Crown Point.

I would just be very concerned with the commute from that far away.
And I hope to goodness sakes the realtor is not telling you its not that far to the city because it really is that far.
Seems the realtors just want to get the sale and not really listen to your individual needs
I would assume if you have a family you would want your husband at home vs. commuting constantly
I would look closer to a closer suburb to chicago -in indiana munster would save you some time
Dont forget to look into the illinois burbs too they will have a better access to the city than anyplace in Indiana

Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM

17,422 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
And I hope to goodness sakes the realtor is not telling you its not that far to the city because it really is that far.
Seems the realtors just want to get the sale and not really listen to your individual needs
And you assume it's the agent's fault or the agent isn't listenting because ... ?

Help me understand exactly where you're coming to that conclusion because the lone Realtor® in this thread actually discouraged the poster from choosing Crown Point and/or Cedar Lake.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And you assume it's the agent's fault or the agent isn't listenting because ... ?

Help me understand exactly where you're coming to that conclusion because the lone Realtor® in this thread actually discouraged the poster from choosing Crown Point and/or Cedar Lake.
Point being the poster came to the board to get different views and different opinions.

If someone told me a commute to his job by soldier field was just a hop skip and a jump they would be lying. if this guy has a family and he is stuck in traffic with a commute of an hour and a half in traffic that may play into their decision (how could you possibly disagree with that)
After all isn't an agent supposed to legally do what is best in the clients interest.
I would just think that would be a major factor.

All in all I was trying to accommodate a person who was not that familiar with the area.

In fairness to you I do not know other factors at play with her decision such as 1. family 2. if she has a friend who lives in the area and highly recommended crown point the list can go on for a while.

In fairness to the person moving from what i would assume a far away place. They just may not be that familiar with the ins and outs of the area.

This kind of stuff happens way too often in all kinds of transactions.
Let alone putting down 250-350k for a home in a crappy economy.

On top of that gas would be a huge factor in a decision if you have a commute that would be longer.

What is the purpose of the board if a person does not get different viewpoints.?-

Sounds to me she wanted to weigh her variables and seemed like a sharp individual.

Curious to where was it mentioned about the realtor ?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM

By the way yes I did see your post about the commute
so bury me alive for the mistake okay.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
So, this may be a bit of a controversial stance, but hear me out. Part of me, or almost all of me, actually doesn't want Gary to "turnaround" and become an area where middle to upper middle class people live. You know why? That would lead to the current undesirable residents of Gary infiltrating the rest of the more desirable areas in Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana.

In other words, from an outsider's perspective, isn't it better to keep all of the crime, drugs, etc concentrated into one town or centralized area? We all know that there are towns in relatively close proximity to Gary that are still able to grow and thrive, at least partly because the residents of Gary aren't moving into those towns. I feel that it would actually be more beneficial for Northwest Indiana as a whole to contain the problems to one town, instead of allowing it to disperse and spread to several other towns which may likely lead to an increase in crime, drugs, and worsening schools everywhere. But that's just me.
Hey svillechris, I think you meant to post this in the "What can be done to improve Gary" thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana