Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 16,579 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would appreciate any information on munster like crime rate, schools, housing. Also if someone can provide information on top private schools in Chicago which are an easy commute to munster?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver12 View Post
Hi, I would appreciate any information on munster like crime rate, schools, housing. Also if someone can provide information on top private schools in Chicago which are an easy commute to munster?
Thanks

Munster's a great town, with excellent schools and very little crime. Most people in Northwest Indiana view Munster as one of the most desirable places to live in the area. When put up against a comparable house in nearly any other area of Northwest Indiana, a house in Munster will most likely be valued higher. Much of the premium in housing prices is in part due to the good school system. Although some of these figures are a bit outdated, here's a quick snapshot of the town of Munster, much of which still holds true:

//www.city-data.com/city/Munster-Indiana.html

Regarding the top private schools in Chicago (and those in the south suburbs that are a reasonable commute from Munster), the ones that come to mind are as follows:

Mount Carmel (Chicago)
Mother McAuley (Chicago)
Saint Rita (Chicago)
Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights)
Illiana Christian (Lansing)
Brother Rice (Chicago)

I know your request was specific to Chicago, but in Northest Indiana you have private Catholic schools of Andrean (Merrillville), St. Thomas More (Munster), and Bishop Noll Institute (Hammond) that are good schools, with Andrean being the one of those three with the highest student test scores.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,837 times
Also University of Chicago Lab School

Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
svillechris pretty much hit the nail on the head! Munster is an excellent town! Other towns you may want to consider are Highland, Schererville, and Dyer! The schools are all good in those towns but if you desire private schools, those towns also have easy access to school in Chicago, NWI, and the South Suburbs.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM

6 posts, read 16,579 times
I did some research on munster area. Looks good with good schools as you guys mentioned. My only concern is that it is surrounded by high crime areas like Gary, Hammond, Lansing, highland etc. I have never been in the area so plz don't get offended if I have misquoted anything. Does this location scenario cause any problems in munster with "spill over out of town" crime?
Also any suggestions reg living and school system in st John, schererville and dyer? Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
I did some research on munster area. Looks good with good schools as you guys mentioned. My only concern is that it is surrounded by high crime areas like Gary, Hammond, Lansing, highland etc. I have never been in the area so plz don't get offended if I have misquoted anything. Does this location scenario cause any problems in munster with "spill over out of town" crime?
Not really.

Quote:
Also any suggestions reg living and school system in st John, schererville and dyer? Thanks
My own personal opinon (backed up by schools stats/scores, of course) ... but there are only two school systems in NWI I would put my own kids in: Munster and Valpo.

That's not to say they couldn't get a quality education in any of the other districts ... I would walk through fire to have my kids in either district.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
I understand your concern as this is a common concern for some people.

To start though, Lansing and Highland may have a little more crime than Munster, but they are not "high crime" areas. And south Hammond is not "high crime" either. As far as spillover goes, I don't think there is much to worry about. The cops in town are very proactive and keep the town very safe. As "surrounded" by crime as Munster has been, it should have been going downhill by now. But it is not.

The school system in Saint John township (Schererville, northern Dyer, and northern Saint John) is the Lake Central School Corporation. This is a good district. Schools in Highland, Indiana are decent as well.

You will get more bang for your buck in the tri-town area over Munster and the area in general is pretty safe too. However, as pricey as Munster is, is it were to go downhill, you can bet that the tri-town area would go down as well...I don't think you have anything much to worry about anytime soon.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
Quote:
No, you don't really have to worry about spillover crime in Munster, although the concern is valid given some of its neighboring towns. FYI Highland is not a high crime town at all.

Regarding your question about the tri-town area (Schererville, St. John, and Dyer) - I can tell you from first hand experience that the school system is very good, there is very little crime, and property taxes are low. It's a really good place to raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana