Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM

145 posts, read 388,188 times

Advertisements

How is this area? I'm looking at a house to rent on Nebraska Ave and I'm unsure of the territory. I have a 2 year old daughter. Is it a safe place to raise a kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 AM

edit: apparently this is a Hammond address, but on google maps it looks like Hessville.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
edit: apparently this is a Hammond address, but on google maps it looks like Hessville.
It looks like you're talking about the area just north of 169th not too far from Morton High School. By the way, Hessville is just a neighborhood in Southeast Hammond. So yes, it will be a Hammond address. Frankly, most people's opinions are that that neighborhood has gone downhill in the last 20 years. The crime there isn't as bad as it is in northern Hammond, but I would still have a concern. There has also been gang activity that has seeped that far south and even further into the far southern parts of Hammond. Overall, Hammond's public school system is well below the state average. However, if you mind your own business and schools aren't an immediate concern, you will probably be fine in that area. Longer term with a child, you may want to consider a different town.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks, checked it out today and wasn't too impressed. The area didn't look rough, maybe a bit run down and dirty, but not unsafe. Still, it's not an area I'd prefer to live in.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks, checked it out today and wasn't too impressed. The area didn't look rough, maybe a bit run down and dirty, but not unsafe. Still, it's not an area I'd prefer to live in.
Yeah I'd agree it's not the nicest of areas. If you let us know some preferences, we could try to help you find a good spot if Hessville is not it.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Well we'd like to find a house, not an apartment. We live in an apartment now and we hate it. We want our daughter to have a yard she can run around in, and not have to worry about any bad elements or an increased risk of break ins. Aside from that, we'd like to spend no more than $950/month. My wife is in school right now, 11 months to go, and I'm trying to get hired onto a police department, working in food service til i do, so we don't make a lot of money now, but we'll be much better off in the near future. Basically we just want a decent place to live, doesn't have to be high end or a huge fancy home, just something safe and in our current budget.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Well we'd like to find a house, not an apartment. We live in an apartment now and we hate it. We want our daughter to have a yard she can run around in, and not have to worry about any bad elements or an increased risk of break ins. Aside from that, we'd like to spend no more than $950/month. My wife is in school right now, 11 months to go, and I'm trying to get hired onto a police department, working in food service til i do, so we don't make a lot of money now, but we'll be much better off in the near future. Basically we just want a decent place to live, doesn't have to be high end or a huge fancy home, just something safe and in our current budget.
Take a look into the north Highland area. There are plenty of modest homes there and I would imagine you could find a house to rent if you looked for it. Highland is a safe, clean community and I think you'd like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana