Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM

51 posts, read 93,152 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family will be moving to NWI this summer from Louisiana. We have narrowed down our choices to Valparaiso or Chesterton. I am leaning more toward Valparaiso because it seems more affordable and more land available. We'd like a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house 2,500 at least sq feet with 1/2 acre to 1 acre land. It doesn't have to be brand new but we don't want a major fixer upper either. Schools, safety and a bonus would be near parks, lakes etc. We love the outdoors and are not a cookie cutter type subdivision with a small yard. I would consider smaller towns outside of Chesterton or Valparaiso if it were no more than 30 minute drive if our above needs were met.

I did see a house in Sylvan Manor off Hwy 30 in Valparaiso. Is that a good neighborhood?

Thank you for your help
Kristie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Back in 2K, we looked at a house in Sylvan Manor and loved it, but found out there were septic issues, bad septic issues, so we bailed. It made us sad because we really loved the neighborhood. We ended up down the road in Aberdeen.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Thanks. Too bad. The house seems nice.

Can you recommend any other subdivisions in or around Chesterton/Valparaiso?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhunt View Post
Thanks. Too bad. The house seems nice.

Can you recommend any other subdivisions in or around Chesterton/Valparaiso?
I don't know Chesterton nearly as well other than Sand Creek which is beautiful and very expensive, but I can name a few nice Valpo subdivisions you may want to consider: Sylvan Manor, Aberdeen, Keystone, Chandana Point, Shorewood Forest, Heritage Valley, Pepper Creek, Windsor Park, Lakeside Meadow, Wedgewood, Wedgewood East.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks. Are those subdivisions bigger lots 1/2 acre to 1 acre or more. We do not want to live in a subdivision with a small lot. Willing to be on the outskirts of Valparaiso to have more room.

My husband printed out listings some were in Hebron and Kouts. I don't know though how small those towns are but I suppose if we were close to Valparaiso it might work o.k.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM

811 posts, read 2,338,465 times
Quote:
Thanks. Are those subdivisions bigger lots 1/2 acre to 1 acre or more. We do not want to live in a subdivision with a small lot. Willing to be on the outskirts of Valparaiso to have more room.

My husband printed out listings some were in Hebron and Kouts. I don't know though how small those towns are but I suppose if we were close to Valparaiso it might work o.k.

You can definitely find houses in the 1/2 to 1 acre range in these subdivisions. Maybe not every house in every subdivision I listed, but you'll definitely have some lots in that range if you look around. A few of the subdivisions I listed are in unincorporated Valparaiso. Hebron and Kouts are much different towns compared to Valpo. Valpo is way bigger, has more desirable schools, the downtown, etc. Hebron and Kouts have a much more rural feel to them too. You can certainly find big lots and less expensive real estate in Hebron or Kouts, but you are sacrificing some quality of living at the same time.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM

I really don't mind a rural feel. I grew up in a town of 3k but I do want to live near a bigger town. What sacrifices would we be making living in Kouts and Hebron other than having to drive further for shopping, dr. visits etc. We may homeschool so schools might not be a huge factor although I do want to live in an area that can resell in a couple of years. We aren't sure that we'll stay in the area maybe a 3 year stay.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
I'm not suggesting you ditch Sylvan Manor ... just make sure the septic is thoroughly inspected!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM

What about Portage? There were 2 houses on my husbands list.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
What about Portage? There were 2 houses on my husbands list.
Honestly, I would not recommend Portage.. it's not categorically a bad area but it's really not that great either and the perception is that it is going downhill. The elementary schools from what I understand are okay but the high school is problematic. Moreover, it's the biggest city in Porter County and definitely feels busier than Chesterton and Valpo. I think it's because it's at the eastern end of a contiguous area of development that spans nearly all of Lake County and through the rest of Chicagoland, while Chesterton and Valpo are a bit more isolated.

If you are looking for more rural areas, check out Liberty Township and Jackson Township. Mostly unincorporated areas between Chesterton and Valpo, and both townships are served by Duneland/Chesterton Schools. There are definitely areas that feel "rural" but still very close to the amenities that Chesterton and Valpo offer. Please note though that this area is growing a bit as development increases between Valpo and Chesterton, but you should have no problem finding a decent sized lot.

Alternatively you could look into Union Township/Wheeler, the schools are good there too. I know you are thinking about homeschooling but either way I think it would be a good idea to be in a good school district if you're looking to resell in a few years.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-05-2013 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana