Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I was welcoming the OP, Crocostimpy, but the welcome is extended to you also whenever you make it out here!
Anyway, I believe that the spillover from Gary to Valpo/Chesterton is overstated, though I have not been there lately. You should be safe there. It has always been a great city to raise a family.
Yea, it's overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
Thanks for the welcome, Wild West, but we aren't Hoosiers yet! Sorry my post went on a rant there... It was me being angry that IN had car tax too and here I thought I might escape it when we move there.... Silly me for thinking that! But, we are currently in NC, visiting the Valpo/Chesterton area in two weeks. It makes me nervous moving out there, reading the Gary threads and the spillover of violence and crime... But, we are excited to check it out and hopefully we will find a nice place out there to raise our kids!
Valpo is a great town & a wonderful place to raise a family. Ignore the Gary spill-over threads in relationship to Valpo. It's a whole different atmosphere!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,498 times
Default schererville

Schererville kids go to Lake Central schools. They're not too bad, but if you're looking for strong leadership in them, you may be a little disappointed. I've lived in Schererville for 33 years (I am a Lake Central grad, as if my mother, and my children are in the school system), so if you're still debating on where in schererville you'd like to live, feel free to ask me any questions. My personal favorite is Peifer Elementary. Grimmer Middle school could really use an overhaul. Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Exclamation Apple Tree Estates

This new subdivision has been in the local news a few times due to opposition about access to the subdivision (Ontario St vs. 77th Ave vs. both -- this was solved by main access on Ontario St and emergency access by 77th Ave) as well as concerns about the homes in this subdivision not being upscale enough.

I just found the Facebook page for this subdivision (the website is still under construction) and while no home plans are up yet, it states that homes will start at 300K. That is not too much lower than newer homes in that area such as in the Tara subdivision. And as we all now, "start at 300K" may mean that the home will end up closer to 350K in the end. I think that this is a good bargain for the area and values will go up as available land in Schererville decreases.

Thoughts?

Apple Tree Estates: Facebook Page
Apple Tree Estates: Website

P.S. Some people had the same concerns regarding the new Cornerstone subdivision in Schererville (basically an addition to the Pineview & Pine Island Ridge subdivision area) and while these homes may look more basic, they are valued higher overall than those in Pineview & Pine Island Ridge and I think a HUGE bargain for a new home in Schererville too as you can get in there for under $300K

Cornerstone: Website

Old 04-26-2016, 05:55 PM

143 posts, read 218,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This new subdivision has been in the local news a few times due to opposition about access to the subdivision (Ontario St vs. 77th Ave vs. both -- this was solved by main access on Ontario St and emergency access by 77th Ave) as well as concerns about the homes in this subdivision not being upscale enough.

I just found the Facebook page for this subdivision (the website is still under construction) and while no home plans are up yet, it states that homes will start at 300K. That is not too much lower than newer homes in that area such as in the Tara subdivision. And as we all now, "start at 300K" may mean that the home will end up closer to 350K in the end. I think that this is a good bargain for the area and values will go up as available land in Schererville decreases.

Thoughts?

Apple Tree Estates: Facebook Page
Apple Tree Estates: Website

P.S. Some people had the same concerns regarding the new Cornerstone subdivision in Schererville (basically an addition to the Pineview & Pine Island Ridge subdivision area) and while these homes may look more basic, they are valued higher overall than those in Pineview & Pine Island Ridge and I think a HUGE bargain for a new home in Schererville too as you can get in there for under $300K

Cornerstone: Website
The floorplans are actually available on the realtor of the subdivision's website. Surprisingly, there are only 3 ranch plans listed. I was expecting 2 stories, but maybe they will be adding some 2 story floorplans later. Overall though, it looks pretty nice, and the houses appear to look nice with some curb appeal as opposed to just another vinyl village. Hopefully this subdivision will turn out that way.
Appletree Estates | McColly Real Estate

Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
DO NOT move to Illinois! They are now ranked as having the highest taxes in the entire U.S!! Not worth it! The state is in major debt si no tax relief in site. Indiana is not far. Lake Central schools are highly rated. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana