Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 12,887 times

Advertisements

I am taking a job in Valpasario, I don't know what city is closer Merrville or scherville or dyer. And I want to know which city is better(friendly,safer) and things to do. And I want to rent a House so I wanted to know which is cheaper.I want to know about the schools to My daughter is going into the 3rd grade. I love newer homes, I'm in California now,I was born and raised in Chicago but I refuse to move back there with my kids. My family is still out there so twice a month I will be going to visit my family. I don't think I would like t live in Valpasario I heard, Heard it was very country there(don't know for sure)but would like to live around places and parks to go and take the kids and have fun and also entertainment. Don't care about a 20 or 30min drive. I been lookn on the net for places but they just show older houses and small townhouses. Not havn much luck with that. If you can help me Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 12,887 times
I forgot about Hobrat that was a place I heard about to

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM

320 posts, read 955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeen marion View Post
I am taking a job in Valpasario, I don't know what city is closer Merrville or scherville or dyer. And I want to know which city is better(friendly,safer) and things to do. And I want to rent a House so I wanted to know which is cheaper.I want to know about the schools to My daughter is going into the 3rd grade. I love newer homes, I'm in California now,I was born and raised in Chicago but I refuse to move back there with my kids. My family is still out there so twice a month I will be going to visit my family. I don't think I would like t live in Valpasario I heard, Heard it was very country there(don't know for sure)but would like to live around places and parks to go and take the kids and have fun and also entertainment. Don't care about a 20 or 30min drive. I been lookn on the net for places but they just show older houses and small townhouses. Not havn much luck with that. If you can help me Thank you so much
I'm a bit confused here.

-You are taking a job in Valpo, but haven't visited the area, or did any research on what it would be like out there. Did they bring you in for an interview?

-From your last post on this subject, you have decided that Valpo is "too country"...understandable concern, but you also don't like what is in Chicago. I would have the same concerns about too country about living in certain parts of St. John and Schereville, compared to Valpo, and it being a college town.

- A simple glance at Google Maps will show you that M-ville and Hobart are a lot closer than Schererville and St. John. M-Ville is cheaper, but the local consensus is the schools are going downhill fast.

-Most of the rental stock in NWI will be older homes and townhouses. Just the nature of the market there. There won't be a lot of new construction for rent - its a bit different than what is happening in Califronia, as homebuilders in NWI did not really overbuild, and the bubble didn't reach the levels.

I think the best thing you can do is book a Southwest flight to Midway, and do a weekend search, get a feel for the area, and a feel for the housing situation. Aren't you getting a re-location allowance from your company? Have you leaned on your family to do some looking fo you?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM

23 posts, read 101,346 times
We live in Hobart, and we love it here, as well as the schools. About Valpo though, I would not consider it "country". Valpo definitely has one of the best school and park systems in the area, in my opinion.
You say you have children, and as I said Valpo has great schools.
If you will be working in Valpo, I would come and check the area out before you decide you dont want to live there. Housing is a bit more in Valpo than it is in, say, Hobart, so that may be a factor also.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
OP, I've lived in Valpo since 1987, and I love it. It's certainly not "country" living, although outside the city limits there are plenty of corn fields! Valpo has an excellent school system, lots of wonderful parks, a beautiful and thriving downtown courthouse square. Valpo also has plenty of good shopping and restaurants.

I agree with the other poster who said you may not be able to find many newer houses for rent. Those for rent tend to be in the older neighborhoods.

It does sound as though you need to start from scratch and do some research on your own before you make any decisions.

If you are used to California's cost of living, you'll be delighted with the lower cost of living in northwest IN!

Good luck to you, janeen.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Have you considered Crown Point? Nice town, safe, lovely town square, friendly people, and you should have pretty good housing options depending on your budget. Better commute to Valpo than Schererville, St John, or Dyer and nicer than Merrillville (sp?) and Hobart.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Everytime I see this thread, I have such a hard time wrapping my head around the question.

OP has a job in Valpo.

Wants a good, safe community with excellent schools ... but won't consider Valpo.

It just doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana