Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 08:47 AM

255 posts, read 414,705 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly a bit surprised NWI isn't getting more southwest suburban transplants. Places like Lockport, Oswego, Plainfield, Homer Glen, Romeoville, Bolingbrook, all of the Lincoln Way towns, and Tinley Park, really don't have that many better amenities than some of the suburban areas of Lake County, and the schools in NWI are just as good and the taxes are way lower here. I wouldn't be surprised if more people from these aforementioned communities move out to places like St John, Crown Point, Munster because of taxes and few significant trade offs. Please inform me if you guys know anyone from these places that have made such move.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default More affluent parts of Lake County

I believe more affluent areas of Lake County in NWI (Munster, St johns etc) will see influx of people from Chicago's south suburbs and to a lesser degree southwest suburbs as they flee higher Illinois taxes for more affordable housing in areas with good schools.

Also, I think you will see some continued white flight as south suburbs see more population shifts, though it will be much slower than in the past.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
I'm honestly a bit surprised NWI isn't getting more southwest suburban transplants. Places like Lockport, Oswego, Plainfield, Homer Glen, Romeoville, Bolingbrook, all of the Lincoln Way towns, and Tinley Park, really don't have that many better amenities than some of the suburban areas of Lake County, and the schools in NWI are just as good and the taxes are way lower here. I wouldn't be surprised if more people from these aforementioned communities move out to places like St John, Crown Point, Munster because of taxes and few significant trade offs. Please inform me if you guys know anyone from these places that have made such move.
Within a stone's throw of my house I know of families that have moved to our Schererville subdivision from Orland Park, Tinley Park, and Oswego. Honestly, when a home sells around here, it's probably more likely that the new cars in the driveway have Illinois plates than Indiana or another state's plates.

Last edited by svillechris; 07-02-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 AM

51 posts, read 69,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertpaulian View Post
All I know is they had better not bring their voting habits over here like the Californians have to Nevada and Colorado, or New Yorkers and New Jerseyans have to Florida.
I'm a bit confused by this statement? Are you saying you hope that people who move from Illinois to NWI don't turn NWI into an area that votes democrat? Because I hate to break it to you, but Lake County already tends to vote democrat...

Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
I understand and agree to a certain extent with the statement that everyone should have the right to move where ever they choose given they can financially, but I also understand those that want to be around people that are similar to them as with ethnicity, race, religion,education, background e.t.c. We always had our Chinatown, Little Italys e.t.c. but is segregation such a bad thing or people make it out to be such a bad thing? That is my question.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:03 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I understand and agree to a certain extent with the statement that everyone should have the right to move where ever they choose given they can financially, but I also understand those that want to be around people that are similar to them as with ethnicity, race, religion,education, background e.t.c. We always had our Chinatown, Little Italys e.t.c. but is segregation such a bad thing or people make it out to be such a bad thing? That is my question.
If people choose to live amongst people whom look like them and all, I have absolutely no problem with that. What I have a problem with is when those same people try to prevent people whom are different from moving in. That is a problem.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
If people choose to live amongst people whom look like them and all, I have absolutely no problem with that. What I have a problem with is when those same people try to prevent people whom are different from moving in. That is a problem.
yes, that would limit freedom of movement but when you have masses of people moving in one homogeneous area for one reason or another then its not fair to the group that wants to be amongst themselves.

What's worse is when the government steps in trying to change things for one idiotic reason or another.

I can also understand one population growing faster than another but that homogenous group should be able to hold on with its "identity" if it chooses. I really don't see anything wrong with that either.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 07-02-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 04:30 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
yes, that would limit freedom of movement but when you have masses of people moving in one homogeneous area for one reason or another then its not fair to the group that wants to be amongst themselves.

What's worse is when the government steps in trying to change things for one idiotic reason or another
And its also not fair for another group to be prevented from moving into an area by intimidation tactics, but ya know, welcome to NWI where this has occurred over and over again.

People who flee an area and move in the same direction that the group they are fleeing from is moving as well will never have my sympathy when the "others" move in.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
And its also not fair for another group to be prevented from moving into an area by intimidation tactics, but ya know, welcome to NWI where this has occurred over and over again.

People who flee an area and move in the same direction that the group they are fleeing from is moving as well will never have my sympathy when the "others" move in.
No doubt, but if people had their *hit together there wouldn't be such a need to constantly change places. Capital for example should not have abandoned now blighted areas but we're taught that's not reality and we should except it. It's a complex issue

Old 07-02-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:

What's worse is when the government steps in trying to change things for one idiotic reason or another.

I can also understand one population growing faster than another but that homogenous group should be able to hold on with its "identity" if it chooses. I really don't see anything wrong with that either.

As I was saying, this is idiotic. Listen to the whole thing and I don't mean to put a political spin on this but the facts and agendas speak for themselves. If this is true and materializes, that's one hell of a out of nowhere cheap shot that nobody saw coming. There goes places such as Munster!

:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO62p56VP90

Last edited by WildWestDude; 07-02-2016 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana