Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 AM

435 posts, read 430,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
The funniest (saddest) part about McDonaldIndy's posts is the fact that affluent Chicagoland suburbs are generally performing better over the past year than those found in NWI and Indy. Seriously, check these out. Flat or even negative appreciation in some cases for some of the most desirable suburbs in Indiana over the past year. How is that possible if IL residents are flocking to Indiana in droves?

[DEFAULT_PAGE_SUBTITLE] | Zillow

Carmel IN Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Munster IN Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

[DEFAULT_PAGE_SUBTITLE] | Zillow

Crown Point IN Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Hidden Valley IN Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Fishers IN Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Zillow trends aren't actually based on actual sales data or paired sales data analysis which is actually probably the best way to construe value trends. They are based on Zillow estimates. So while I do think Zillow can provide some insight, it can't be relied upon in a vacuum. For example, you and I had a discussion about Minooka IL a few weeks back. By looking at the Zillow data only, someone may conclude that the market is hot and there is strong demand there, but in reality if you look at the overall size of the market it is just a tiny exurb of Chicago where there is really overall little demand. Relying on the Zillow data in that case will result in the wrong conclusion.

The Greater NWI Association of Realtors has YTD sales up 13.4% and median sales price up 7.3% in NWI. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future b/c again, IL is by in large kicking the can now. I don't think we will know the true impact on home values and migration trends in IL until the IL gov actually addresses the financial situation and balances the budget.

http://www.gniar.com/images/PDF/Mark...ortMay2016.pdf

Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,186,798 times
Default Not what I was responding to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Zillow trends aren't actually based on actual sales data or paired sales data analysis which is actually probably the best way to construe value trends. They are based on Zillow estimates. So while I do think Zillow can provide some insight, it can't be relied upon in a vacuum. For example, you and I had a discussion about Minooka IL a few weeks back. By looking at the Zillow data only, someone may conclude that the market is hot and there is strong demand there, but in reality if you look at the overall size of the market it is just a tiny exurb of Chicago where there is really overall little demand. Relying on the Zillow data in that case will result in the wrong conclusion.

The Greater NWI Association of Realtors has YTD sales up 13.4% and median sales price up 7.3% in NWI. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future b/c again, IL is by in large kicking the can now. I don't think we will know the true impact on home values and migration trends in IL until the IL gov actually addresses the financial situation and balances the budget.

http://www.gniar.com/images/PDF/Mark...ortMay2016.pdf
I was responding to his statement that all of Illinois, which includes the affluent Chicagoland suburbs, will end up on the same path of total destruction as South Holland due to excessive tax liabilities. That has not been reflected in the performance of the residential real estate market within affluent suburbs of Chicagoland when compared to affluent suburbs in NWI and Indy over the past year (since he has also stated that folks are flocking to Indy from Chicagoland - which should result in big price increases in the Indy residential RE market wouldn't you think?). In case you missed it, here is what he said:

"Not surprisingly the ex-wife can't sell the home and is constantly trying to appeal the property taxes (Madigans law firm makes a lot of money doing those appeals)
That is preview of what is coming to all of Illinois. Some areas will be hit sooner and some areas will be hit later. Regardless mass amounts of people that don't get out of the state will be stuck with worthless homes and $30,000+ yearly property tax bills"

I have stated this before, but many are assuming the main source of increased revenue in Illinois will come from residential property tax increases. How does anyone know at this point in time where the revenue will come from? Hell, Bruce Rauner himself doesn't know so how would anyone else? To definitively state otherwise is dishonest and misleading. Even if this is the route chosen (i.e. increased residential property taxes as a result of decreased state funding to schools for example), it will have minimal impact on the affluent Chicagoland suburbs because they already receive very little funding from the state. For example, public schools in Hinsdale on average receive less than 5% from the state. More than 75% of my property taxes fund the Hinsdale school system. Even if that less than 5% state funding goes away, it will have very little impact on my overall property tax burden.

Now I won't argue against the idea that the growing divide between the affluent suburbs and poor suburbs will increase further but to say that all of Illinois will end up on the same path of South Holland is beyond comical.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Now I won't argue against the idea that the growing divide between the affluent suburbs and poor suburbs will increase further but to say that all of Illinois will end up on the same path of South Holland is beyond comical.

Agreed. Mr. McI-LOVE-MY-AREA-BECAUSE-IT-HAS-LOW-TAXES cracks me up sometimes.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Sorry. Not gonna happen in my part of IL, amigo.

Enjoy your twenty mile drives to the grocery store in your low-tax bedroom community(!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Oh the soaring taxes can't force you into poverty and homelessness soon enough.
Pass the popcorn please and find a time machine that can go 10 years into the future

Old 08-03-2016, 04:22 PM

435 posts, read 430,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Sorry. Not gonna happen in my part of IL, amigo.

Enjoy your twenty mile drives to the grocery store in your low-tax bedroom community(!)
Sort of confused by the bolded. I live in NWI and it takes me like 3 minutes to drive to Whole Foods?

I get what you are saying though in general and I agree that some parts of IL are going to be better positioned to weather the IL financial mess that is coming. I don't think any area will be completely immune but I would venture to guess that really highly sought after areas will continue to be highly sought after and that the high-upper income households that live there can totally deal with increasing taxes. So maybe these households will have to cut back on the ski trips to Aspen or may have to pick a lower Mercedes series, but I don't think they will end up in financial ruin. Or maybe they will have to sell at a loss but they will likely be able to absorb it. It's going to be much harder for those households not so fortunate to have lots of disposable income...that is why I say if you stay in IL, just don't overextend whatever you do.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:05 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
This attitude/response right there explains very well why Illinois is looked down upon heavily across America. It is one of if not the least liked state in America and the American people don't feel sorry for the pain and suffering going on in Illinois. Especially since its self-inflicted.
So sit back and find out the hard way
Wowza. Probably one of the most irrationally ignorant generalizations I have read during my many years on CD.Unless you are in middle school. Then I understand and apologize

Old 08-06-2016, 03:16 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Sort of confused by the bolded. I live in NWI and it takes me like 3 minutes to drive to Whole Foods?

I get what you are saying though in general and I agree that some parts of IL are going to be better positioned to weather the IL financial mess that is coming. I don't think any area will be completely immune but I would venture to guess that really highly sought after areas will continue to be highly sought after and that the high-upper income households that live there can totally deal with increasing taxes. So maybe these households will have to cut back on the ski trips to Aspen or may have to pick a lower Mercedes series, but I don't think they will end up in financial ruin. Or maybe they will have to sell at a loss but they will likely be able to absorb it. It's going to be much harder for those households not so fortunate to have lots of disposable income...that is why I say if you stay in IL, just don't overextend whatever you do.
That was kind of my point all along. If you are among the Chicago elite, you are so wealthy the tax increases are unlikely to impact your lifestyle.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:06 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
This attitude/response right there explains very well why Illinois is looked down upon heavily across America. It is one of if not the least liked state in America and the American people don't feel sorry for the pain and suffering going on in Illinois. Especially since its self-inflicted.
So sit back and find out the hard way
I get you live in a bubble, trapped in the bedroom your parents have gifted you in their home in Carmel, IN, but I think you need to take a break from CD and explore the world outside of Indianapolis. Most Americans don't concern themselves with places they don't live. Average people probably don't have much of an opinion of Illinois. If you asked them what they do think of Illinois most would say something about Chicago, winter, and corn.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:27 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I get you live in a bubble, trapped in the bedroom your parents have gifted you in their home in Carmel, IN, but I think you need to take a break from CD and explore the world outside of Indianapolis. Most Americans don't concern themselves with places they don't live. Average people probably don't have much of an opinion of Illinois. If you asked them what they do think of Illinois most would say something about Chicago, winter, and corn.
True, but IL has become the butt of jokes in conservative media nationwide. Right or wrong, it is well known in the conservative world as an example of what not to do.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:59 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Chicago is well known for its issues

I have foreigners literally everyday tell me how they would love to visit Chicago but are concerned about the crime. I tell them it is overblown and that they will be fine so long as they avoid the south and west sides.

It would be like someone in Indy thinking that all of Indy is crap because of crime on east and west sides.

Chicago is well known by conservative media for gun crimes and failed gun laws. Much of this attention is due to Obama starting here as community organizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana