Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 18,566 times

Advertisements

So you got your butt kicked, get over it. I have had dogs sic-d on me and my friends and have been chased thru Glen Park many of times. I don't let that affect me. I have neighbors who graduated from Edison and they didn't get the royal treatment either. If you need someone too say I am sorry so be it. I am sorry you got your butt kicked at Edison. Quit holding on to hostilities and maybe your life would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 04:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
Have you been to the Westside of Chicago? Would you even pull your wallet out at any gas station on the southside? Chicago is not that great just look at the news buddy.
I've been to the west side of Chicago. I've pulled my wallet out at gas stations on the south side. Neither event has made Gary suck any less.

Do me a favor and stay put while I spray you with a liberal dose of Troll-B-Gone.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,820 times
I was born and raised in Gary (Glen Park) and have always been proud to say so. I attended a Catholic grade school and Andrean HS. I am glad to be an Andrean Alum, but when I went there people would act funny toward me when they found out where I lived. They would ask if we had bars on our windows and if we got shot at. More than 20 years later, I get the same looks and comments when people find out that I live in East Chicago. Of course Gary has changed over the years, but what have all of these people who talk about how bad Gary is done to help the city? Everyone just picked up and moved away. I now live in East Chicago (Roxana). I really like my neighborhood. It's so funny to me that even people in EC talk about how bad Gary is. Drugs and crime are a major problem, but it's crazy how teens from Valpo and other surrounding cities south of Gary would come there to get their drugs. These rich kids would then go back to their "safe" neighborhoods and act like they were so superior. My point is that Gary has definitely changed over the past 30 years, but many people didn't like that people of a different race were moving in and they just moved farther south. The prejudice and racism just makes me sick. I think Gary can make a come back, but it will never be what it was decades ago. The world is a different place, people think differently from what they did 30-40 years ago.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGM View Post
I was born and raised in Gary (Glen Park) and have always been proud to say so. I attended a Catholic grade school and Andrean HS. I am glad to be an Andrean Alum, but when I went there people would act funny toward me when they found out where I lived. They would ask if we had bars on our windows and if we got shot at. More than 20 years later, I get the same looks and comments when people find out that I live in East Chicago. Of course Gary has changed over the years, but what have all of these people who talk about how bad Gary is done to help the city? Everyone just picked up and moved away. I now live in East Chicago (Roxana). I really like my neighborhood. It's so funny to me that even people in EC talk about how bad Gary is. Drugs and crime are a major problem, but it's crazy how teens from Valpo and other surrounding cities south of Gary would come there to get their drugs. These rich kids would then go back to their "safe" neighborhoods and act like they were so superior. My point is that Gary has definitely changed over the past 30 years, but many people didn't like that people of a different race were moving in and they just moved farther south. The prejudice and racism just makes me sick. I think Gary can make a come back, but it will never be what it was decades ago. The world is a different place, people think differently from what they did 30-40 years ago.
Why do people automatically cry "racism" when white people move away? Is it not possible that we left Gary to get away from the crime? Its YOU who brought up the race issue. I dont give a flip if the person commiting the crime is orange skinned! And i never see it mentioned here that ALOT of blacks left Gary too! They were fleeing the same thing whites were fleeing. CRIME! You draw your own conclusions about what it means that the the vast majority of this crime began to happen in Glen Park after alot of blacks moved in. But please remember that NOTHING will get solved unless someone admits that there IS a problem.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM

31 posts, read 134,902 times
DBGM,

I know a quite a few people including me who do positive things to help. We work with young people, tutor them and help them get on the path to college. We even try to help out a neighbor with a few dollars here and there. Let's be honest about helping out in your hood. A few people have been killed by monsters who took advantage of their kindness. Wait till summer and drive from 15th and Grant straight to Clark Road. Watch the groups of young men who sit in front of homes and hang out in front of the gas stations. Drug deals take place day and night at the stations. The police have cracked down on the loitering a great deal, but can't be everywhere.

Gary is in trouble and a lot of our officials and residents are in denial. I think a lot of people are desensitized to the killing, nightly gunshots, and despair.

I hope Gary has a bright future because that's what so many of the citizens deserve.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,820 times
I agree that crime/drugs are serious issues in Gary, but you can't ignore the race issue either. I am not saying that all of the people who left the city did so because they were racist, but I do know that there were many who left for that reason decades ago. True, many blacks left Gary because of the crime. It just irritates me when I have a conversation with someone about where I lived/live and they just start making all of these negative comments. I shouldn't have to feel ashamed of where I came from nor should I have to feel the need to defend my hometown. Gary didn't get to be the "murder capital" overnight. Those people who are quick to judge and bad mouth Gary are the ones don't seem to have any ideas on how to solve these issues or make things better.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Whereas the people who don't say anything do have all the ideas? Or the people who always try to put a positive spin on that contemptible place -- are they the ones with all the answers? Who does have all the ideas? And if any such person exists, why haven't we paid them huge amounts of money to solve all our urban problems around the country? That would strike me as the most invaluable contribution to society since the Enlightenment.

If anyone had any actual, workable solutions, there wouldn't be any Gary Indianas. That doesn't mean we should sugar-coat what the place is: a very troubled urban environment.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 AM

3 posts, read 17,373 times
Dear MariGirl,

I think that the elderly couple you referred to was my grandfather and his wife (Leo & Martha U). Do you know if the thugs were ever caught? I was at college when the attack occured, and Martha died a few months afterwards. I never spoke to her or my grandfather before either one died.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
Marigirl,, Where did you live in Glen Park? You sound like someone I used to know.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,534 times
Default give it a chance

I miss gary i always come come back to look at emerson the school i graduate from and some family members. One day i twill come back but the people need to help it come back the one's that live there the mayor can't do it all by himself,i live on the east side i went to pulaski, dunbar, then emerson, i use to go and watch the Jacson five perform at the applow theather on bradway where the post office is at. So let's pray for Gary and every city there is because they all need it, be bless and may the good lord be with everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana