Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 09:47 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Indiana teacher busted for allegedly doing drugs in classroom | Fox News

I'm sure many have you have already heard about this, but here an article about it. My children are in the district, but not yet in high school. Saint John and Dyer police came out after a student posted a video on FB showing what appeared to be a teacher doing drugs out in the open in a classroom. The police brought in the K9 unit after being alerted and the 24 yr old female teacher (who was new to the school this year) was arrested.

I don't agree with a student filming someone with their phone, but I commend them for this as they witnessed a crime being committed. Not to mention it sends a message to students that doing drugs has consequences! I'm sure this will also result in stricter drug screenings for new and existing teachers in this school district and will be brought up at the next school board meeting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM

143 posts, read 218,128 times
I'm glad that the teacher is gone. However, it seems to me that the student was filming the teacher only to gain attention. If they were simply concerned for the teacher, why would they spread the video on social media and even post it on YouTube?

Old 11-26-2017, 12:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Did they ever determine what drugs she was snorting? Teacher probably needs help, not a public flogging / jail sentence.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Did they ever determine what drugs she was snorting? Teacher probably needs help, not a public flogging / jail sentence.
It appears she was speedballing...pretty dangerous to do.

I would absolutely agree this young woman needs help.

Her behavior suggests a very serious and most likely long standing drug problem.

It's just sickening that people are blaming students for reporting her behavior. The teachers actions ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE PERIOD. I also don't blame the kids particularly for letting this get around...they are KIDS. They were most likely shocked and confused, makes complete sense that they would go to their peers with this first!

The number of news outlets and tabloids that have picked this story up is just staggering worldwide...UK, Australia, India...CRAZINESS!!!

Sad that quiet, conservative St John ended up in the spotlight over something that one unthinking, sad/
sick individual did but the interviews with the students really seem to be making a greater impression on folks...

"What smart responsible kids" ect.

I don't miss NWI (jobwise just not alot of potential for me) but I do miss living in a place where the vast majority had values and were relatively upstanding folks.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Angry No Sympathy

Before I begin my rant, I just want to point out that the school/school district handled this situation very very well and my comments following this are more of a reflection of society (both at-large and NWI).

I am glad this teacher was recorded and that this lead to her removal from school. While I do hope that she seeks and successfully participates in recovery, I honestly do not have any sympathy for her. SHE NEEDS a public flogging as well as a suspended jail sentence (if she does not complete treatment) because we give public floggings for much LESS serious crimes when other people do it. This whole opioid epidemic is ALMOST becoming as a broken leg. I remember several years back when a teacher at LC showed up to school dressed inappropriately and appeared to be either high or having a mental breakdown, people were not NEARLY as forgiving for her and no drugs were found on her at all. And the comments made towards that teacher were racist as hell.

I work in a field where I come into contact with individuals with substance abuse all the time and it is just so sickening how soft most people want to be saying it is "a horrible disease and they need treatment and rehabilitation" when drug epidemics affect White middle-class areas but when they affect Black poor areas, people want to "lock them up and throw away the key". Yes, I understand that we finally realize that this is not an issue that we as a country can "arrest our way out of", but it was not until the family members of judges, congressmen, senators, and other prominent individuals were being put out there for having addictions that everyone was like "NOW it is a problem". In addition to this, people are trying to crucify all of the doctors and drug dealers for the opioid epidemic when it comes to middle-class America, but in urban areas? It is all the addicts fault. I just have absolutely no sympathy for this woman in this case at all. And I am tired of people calling her a "kid". She was 24 years old. She is young, but no kid at all. But when an 18-year old male commits a crime, people FLIP OUT when he is called a kid.

This is an article about the teacher at LC in 2010 that showed up to school dressed inappropriately and had marijuana and paraphernalia. I remember the comments people made that had nothing to do with what she was arrested for and everything to do with her race. Where was the sympathy for her?

Lake Central teacher resigns after drug charges

Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
It was just stated on Fox32 News that the teacher was formally charged with possession of a controlled substance today. The teacher stated that she bought $160 worth of cocaine on the way to the school, but didn't have enough time to take a hit before class so she did it during a break between classes. She admitted to using the drugs for the past for years.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:46 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I work in a field where I come into contact with individuals with substance abuse all the time and it is just so sickening how soft most people want to be saying it is "a horrible disease and they need treatment and rehabilitation" when drug epidemics affect White middle-class areas but when they affect Black poor areas, people want to "lock them up and throw away the key". Yes, I understand that we finally realize that this is not an issue that we as a country can "arrest our way out of", but it was not until the family members of judges, congressmen, senators, and other prominent individuals were being put out there for having addictions that everyone was like "NOW it is a problem". In addition to this, people are trying to crucify all of the doctors and drug dealers for the opioid epidemic when it comes to middle-class America, but in urban areas? It is all the addicts fault.
I can tell you that while it does seem that the opiate/opioid issue only became an issue when middle and upper class people started dying, there are other issues that made it such a big deal. For starters, heroin has been around for decades. One problem is that it wasn't as potent back then. There were plenty of people in the past, using the older chemical structure heroin, who got clean and went on to live sober lives. Not only that, ODs and OD deaths weren't that common. Look at counties where they had zero heroin ODs and they now all of a sudden have double digits. I believe the lack of deaths, the rarity of continued use (due to people being able to get clean), made it easier to blame the addicts for their issues.

I've read that once heroin production in Afghanistan was interrupted during the early states of the US invasion, Mexico took over as the lead supplier. At some point the heroin being sold was said to be stronger, more potent. At the exact same time, the legal heroin (pills) was being handed out like candy to the masses.

Also during the same time frame, we have a huge issue with college cost, that many parents of athletic K-12 kids started to push their kids to do more. Sports isn't just confined to a certain span of months under the school umbrella anymore. There are local travel teams, there are regional travel teams, there are national travel teams, constantly going, never ending. Parents are so hoping that their kid is good enough to get some sort of scholarship somewhere, that when the inevitable injuries occur, pills were given out to help with the pain. All of a sudden we are now having young people addicted to pain meds. Then you have the party types who want to get high and are more than willing, in some part due to peer pressure, to try something new to get high on.

So pills get costly, people are turning to the strong heroin. People get clean. When the OD epidemic first took off, it was people who had gotten clean and then relapsed. They ended up taking the same amount of the drug thinking that is what they needed. It killed them.

Now however, what we are seeing are opioids so much more potent than heroin, that even people who have been addicts for decades are ODing. These people's brains could likely deal with street heroin to a point where ODing might have never been a real issue for them. Today that isn't the case with the fentanyl and carfentanyl being mixed in with heroin or whatever they are shooting up.

The problem now is that when do we have to see a full HAZMAT type response to dealing with ODs? Look at what happened in Ft. Wayne recently at the jail. At some point in time, LE, fire, and EMS are going to refuse to treat people with NARCAN until they are wearing full HAZMAT suits. Also, what happens to the vehicles? We now document VIN and put them in a database as rolling meth labs. Is it really safe for an addict who is saved to go and get that care out of impound? What about the tow truck drivers who have to tow the contaminated vehicle away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana