Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 05:53 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times

Advertisements

Griffith is not really discussed a lot on here (except for when referring to the Mansard's) but there is a lot going on in town!

The town has amped up its Calumet Township secession efforts: Griffith claims justification in township referendum

And in big news as well, Menards is eyeing a move from its Gary (Black Oak) location down to Ridge & Cline in Griffith and if the move is made, the whole plaza would be torn down and redeveloped: Menards eyes move to Griffith

A little over a year ago, the proposal was initially to rebuild the Gary site, but clearly that has fallen through.

There has also been a big cleaning up of Griffith's downtown area and revitalization. I will post more as more news is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 09:31 AM

119 posts, read 154,808 times
I believe the rebuild fell through due to the grocery store being located right next door.

As someone who worked for 15 years at a family owned business in Griffith that is heavily involved in the town, Griffith is on the hinge to fully blossom if the secession goes through. It's becoming an interesting town for younger entry level home buyers with the convenience of commuter rail and easy/short commutes to NWI's largest employers, Central Market Fridays, 3 microbreweries, Twincades, Grindhouse, Renovar, and Charcuterie as well as the established businesses there is almost something for everyone.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
Was just through my hometown a few days ago. I was pretty impressed with some of the changes I've seen to the downtown. I know my family members that still live there are often talking about the cool stuff going on there.

If in some bizzaro world scenario I was to move back to NWI, I would now definitely put Griffith at the top of the list. I prefer the milder winters in the southern part of the state though.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
I'll be the first to admit that a few years ago, my "prognosis", so to speak, for Griffith was not good at all. I just did not see much improvement going on and was worried that disparities between certain areas of town would continue to grow and eventually lead to the entire town just being written off by everyone. But I have seen many great improvements in the downtown area--more so than I can say for Highland's downtown--and even some improvements in problem areas such as the Mansard's though more needs to be done. And road/infrastructure improvements have helped. In addition, while it is being marketed at "St. John Township", I believe some of the growth in that area that has Griffith addresses is positive for the overall community (despite being zoned to LCSC for schools).

Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 PM

71 posts, read 227,846 times
Apparently the leadership of the town is very actively steering the types of business development they want. The businesses mentioned above (Grindhouse, et al), are definitely meant to define a certain scene. Who knew that Griffith, of all places, would become the hipster capital of The Region?

Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionAire View Post
Apparently the leadership of the town is very actively steering the types of business development they want. The businesses mentioned above (Grindhouse, et al), are definitely meant to define a certain scene. Who knew that Griffith, of all places, would become the hipster capital of The Region?
Miller owns that title

Old 09-30-2016, 08:53 AM

277 posts, read 442,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Miller owns that title
Yeah, but I like that I don't have to go as far as Miller to get to some of those hipster places coming from the South - It's nice to have 2 options now!

I've frequented Grindhouse Café a few times now and love everything about it. The workers, the brew, the location; everything was done well.

I also love the Franklin's Field Park events with vendors. Very cool spot with a lot of foot traffic.

I've only visited 2 of the 3 breweries thus far, going to Wildrose and New Oberpfalz. Both were "ok" in terms of their brew, but the atmosphere was excellent in both, each having a radically different feel than the other. Pokro is on my list to go soon.

I've told my brother in law who has been looking for a place to buy his first home but wants to start economically to really consider Griffith.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times
I'd go to Griffith before I would hang out in Miller.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I'd go to Griffith before I would hang out in Miller.
We know how you feel about Gary/Miller.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 PM

435 posts, read 430,545 times
Griffith pleasantly surprised me this summer! I was there for a street festival and coming from Chicago I had no idea there would be number of interesting shops, brewery's, etc. I will definitely be going back to check it out more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana