Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM

265 posts, read 964,142 times

Advertisements

Do you intend to apply for financial aid? Ivy-Tech's requirements appear to be less stringent. The only thing they require is an Indiana address, however if you apply for financial aid, you have to be a resident as applicable by the program, not the college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
There is a lot of misinformation here.

1. The "magic" number for students to be considered emancipated by the federal government for financial aid is 24, not 21. One rare exception is if one is married. The OP is married.

2. Both IU and Purdue require 12 months of IN residency and one must be able to prove that the reason for the recent move is unrelated to education. IU MAY waive the 12 month period IF one can prove the above, eg--a job change. Purdue does not indicate a waiver is available. Ivy Tech doesn't indicate what the residency requirements are, but I would guess they are similar. The best option is to call.

3. Grandma in waiting--that idea that IU prefers out of state students is just wrong. I've heard all the poor tales of local students that didn't get into IU. Frankly the days of sliding into IU are long gone. Those Indiana students that were not admitted didn't make the grade. There was a well publicized case on the Indianapolis news last spring that brought this to the forefront. The child had SAT scores lower than the state and national averages. IU did her a favor by not admitting her as it would have been money wasted. My daughter is in the honors program at IU now. Her high school grades were outstanding. Her SAT scores were outstanding. Even with that good prep, she studies constantly.

The percentage of instate students went up this fall. Look at the IU admissions standards website. Criteria for out of state students is higher. Take a look at the Purdue standards--equally tough. Finally, if our legislators would increase the number of students they are willing to fund at our public institutions perhaps our state universities wouldn't need to look to out of state schools to increase the money coming in. Sorry to go off on this, but I'm sick of the misinformation about my alma mater.

Toxic toast--applications typically ask for your residence and how long one has been at that residence if one is instate. I've seen a lot of them in the past year.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyBlue View Post
Yes I'm well over 21, looking to go to Ivy Tech in January to get my AA
GOOD FOR YOU I have to Totally agree with Grandma on this...Schools typically expect PROOF that you have been a resident during the required time frame and my experience has been that they won't budge on it even if you are only a month or two short.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Toxic toast--applications typically ask for your residence and how long one has been at that residence if one is instate. I've seen a lot of them in the past year.
I am not disputing that; all I said is that I have NEVER been asked to prove anything, and that EVERY school I dealt with was willing to work with students and often judged in the student's favor. During a campus tour, a rep at (unnamed midwestern MAC school) told a room full of perspective students that "we usually count the first year of school as your one year residency" - contrary to what most websites will tell you. I always found a similar attitude everywhere. From my experience, the application of the rules you will find a web site are loosely applied in the real world in regards to residency rules.

Applying at Ivy Tech....... I attended Ivy Tech from out of state. I moved from Michigan to Indiana and wanted to go to Ivy Tech. I had nothing to indicate I lived in Indiana other than a rental lease. I can tell you first hand, from personal experience, that was MORE than enough for them to grant me in state.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM

265 posts, read 964,142 times
I stated calling was the best option several posts back..lol.

rrah, many colleges are indeed giving preference to out of state students over residents with the exact same qualifications. The New York Times, Huffington Post, USA Today and other papers have had articles about it. Interesting study dating from 2003 here. It's also in a student's favor if they don't have to apply for aid and balances the scale, so to speak. (source (http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/higher_education_for_the_wealthy_3829133/ - broken link))
I'm not going to brag on my sons' grades or qualifications, but they were both accepted without problems as in-state residents, and graduated, the older in 2005, the younger in 2003 and the age 21 I quoted was from the information page linked in that post, not something I pulled out of my hat.

Ivy Tech's policy here (http://www.ivytech.edu/eastcentral/admissions/faqs.html#in_out - broken link).

Q: Am I an In-State or Out-Of-State student?
A: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with an address in the State of Indiana, you are considered an In-State student for the purposes of tuition calculation.

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 10-08-2009 at 05:14 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM

309 posts, read 990,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
  • your most recent Indiana state income tax return with W2's
  • your Indiana driver's license
  • your Indiana car registration
  • your voter's registration card
  • your lease/mortgage agreement for the past/present year
  • your most recent pay stub
  • your most recent bank statement
  • your military leave and earnings statement (if applicable)
  • your permanent resident alien card (if applicable)
In addition, a high school transcript and prior college transcripts are required. Trust me...they check these things out carefully.

I was born and lived there for 30 years and they still asked for all that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana