Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 36,573 times

Advertisements

Already tried a search. After 40 minutes the answers are too vague.

We are from the St. Louis MO area. Have a 10 month contract offer for BOTH the wife and I providing Therapy Services for the Local School Districts on Oahu. Don't know the towns or districts yet..

We will net after taxes $96,400 for a 10 month contract. The wife's pension will make the house payment and overhead here plus medical. 45K extra and we should be able to pay off this house here in St. Louis at the end of the contract That would justify coming out of retirement for one more year if we just HAD to spend that year in Hawaii. Could suffer through somehow.

Do the math and we have $51 K to live on after taxes for that 10 months on Oahu. Would we have to rough it or could we live prudently and reach our goals?

If we can, Tis a chance of a lifetime for the 'Hawaii experience' we all fantasize about here in the Midwest... Me I just hate the cold. Rode a motorcycle through 6 Missouri winters going through college. Only ONE thing good about riding a motorcycle in Feburary's 10 degree weather - You can sort through your girlfriends really quick. I married and still have the one that rode two winters with me. That is a girl that will stick with you - hot and cold... for better or worse.

A 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath apartment that takes a small dog deposit is $750/mo here. How much in Oahu?

Can you get furnished housing? How much more per month. Or are we going to Goodwill and buy junk to sleep on and then donate it back after 10 months? At Mizzou they we went to the auction house at the end of May otherwise known as "the student furniture exchange". We furnished a 3 bedroom house in 1970 for $35. Anything like that around the military bases or colleges?

Groceries run $600 a month here in Missouri and we don't eat too high on the hog. Cereal for breakfast, bag lunch to work - late breakfast & skip lunch on weekends. Salad, meat, & veggie for supper. Out to eat once a week. How much for two people a month in groceries?

Got that electric over there runs $150-250 / mo depending on size and AC use. My wife and the dog LOVES AC. I'll figure the high end.

It would be a major adjustment not to have a car. Still I hear public transit is a possibility. At least for me. My wife has her 'standards'.

We are both Seniors! Is there Senior transportation to WORK? LOL!
Wonder if the school bus could pick me up and take ME to work at school? Kind of a Green thing... That would be a hoot.... The kids will think I AM special ed. Maybe hook up with a car pool to one of the schools if we live CLOSE to it.

Back to reality. What would be the best route for obtaining a car? Do they have short term (10 mo) leases? Rentals by the month?
But they may want us to travel to kids in different schools throughout the district. That would mean TWO cars.. Ugh! Bet they pay 30 cents a mile.

I can't see the hassle of buying and then trying to sell a used car.

Get me a reality check here. Is this doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM

18,437 posts, read 19,088,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddupickel View Post

We are from the St. Louis MO area. Have a 10 month contract offer for BOTH the wife and I providing Therapy Services for the Local School Districts on Oahu. Don't know the towns or districts yet..

We will net after taxes $96,400 for a 10 month contract. The wife's pension will make the house payment and overhead here plus medical. 45K extra and we should be able to pay off this house here in St. Louis at the end of the contract That would justify coming out of retirement for one more year if we just HAD to spend that year in Hawaii. Could suffer through somehow.

Do the math and we have $51 K to live on after taxes for that 10 months on Oahu. Would we have to rough it or could we live prudently and reach our goals?

sounds to me you could do just fine, that is 5 grand a month which sounds great to me.

If we can, Tis a chance of a lifetime for the 'Hawaii experience' we all fantasize about here in the Midwest... Me I just hate the cold. Rode a motorcycle through 6 Missouri winters going through college. Only ONE thing good about riding a motorcycle in Feburary's 10 degree weather - You can sort through your girlfriends really quick. I married and still have the one that rode two winters with me. That is a girl that will stick with you - hot and cold... for better or worse.

A 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath apartment that takes a small dog deposit is $750/mo here. How much in Oahu? I live on maui but I would think you should up this amount to maybe 1200 bucks min. of course only you know what is really livable.

Can you get furnished housing? How much more per month. Or are we going to Goodwill and buy junk to sleep on and then donate it back after 10 months? At Mizzou they we went to the auction house at the end of May otherwise known as "the student furniture exchange". We furnished a 3 bedroom house in 1970 for $35. Anything like that around the military bases or colleges? you can rent furnished places. you can also look into long term vacation rentals furnished. which may be a better deal over the long haul and not strat to try to furnish something you will ony be in for ten months

Groceries run $600 a month here in Missouri and we don't eat too high on the hog. Cereal for breakfast, bag lunch to work - late breakfast & skip lunch on weekends. Salad, meat, & veggie for supper. Out to eat once a week. How much for two people a month in groceries?

double your grocery bill to be on the safe side. food is expensive here. depending on how you shop will tell where and what you can save on

Got that electric over there runs $150-250 / mo depending on size and AC use. My wife and the dog LOVES AC. I'll figure the high end.
add to this figure as well. look for a house or condo that has good cross ventilation and you won't need so much a/c

It would be a major adjustment not to have a car. Still I hear public transit is a possibility. At least for me. My wife has her 'standards'.

my $2000 van just died last night after 3 years, it looked good and it ran well all that time. I was hoping for at least a year and I got 3. you can find a good run around car for 5 grand give or take.

Wonder if the school bus could pick me up and take ME to work at school? Kind of a Green thing... That would be a hoot.... The kids will think I AM special ed. Maybe hook up with a car pool to one of the schools if we live CLOSE to it.

my guess would be no and being green and smart with your money is one thing but being the cheap old green couple, riding with the school kids is kinda creepy lol

Back to reality. What would be the best route for obtaining a car? Do they have short term (10 mo) leases? Rentals by the month?
probably, but it may be more cost effective to buy one cheap then sell it when you leave.

But they may want us to travel to kids in different schools throughout the district. That would mean TWO cars.. Ugh! Bet they pay 30 cents a mile.
it isn't easy or cheap to live here. you either will have to cough up the money for two beaters or someone is taking the bus or not going. you can buy the expensive milk or go to cost co. it is up to you

seems the easier to me than riding the buss and working around their daily times and routes.

you need to also have your dof ready to travel that you will be able to find exactly what you need to comply with in the search

good luck

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,108,887 times
Getting the dog through quarantine is a huge hassle, can you board it with someone for the ten months?

It might be worthwhile to get a furnished vacation rental since then you wouldn't have to buy furniture and get all the utilities set up for merely ten months. That's also an odd length of time for a rental lease, too. I think vacation rentals have a six month maximum lease until they become a different type of rental, but if you could always change rentals after six months.

If you didn't have to carry supplies to each school, you'd probably be able to get there on The Bus. That's a very inexpensive alternative to owning a car. It might be cheaper to get a bus pass for each person and then rent a car on the weekends or when you wanted a car.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM

We have friends and family that could dog sit but she is Family and "Beach" is her new favorite word after spending last winter in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Along with Walk, Boat, Lake, Fishing, Ride, Truck, Breakfast, and Supper. I wish my life was that simple to be happy but I ain't complaining. I get 3 meals and Paintball along with 'Walk, Boat, Lake, Fishing, Ride, and Truck'. She's old but doing fine so far. Trying to convince the wife this is our last dog. I am informed I am wrong about that.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,893 times
I think its very doable. We budget $600 per month for groceries for 2 and usually a couple hundred extra for dining out. As the other posters mention, perhaps looking for vacation rental that is furnished, with utlities might be the easier route. We have a 2b condo and keep it around 78 for our fur baby, plus w/d & dishwasher etc...and avg $180 per month.

I saw an ad on craigslist today for a sublet, 2b/2b for 6 months@ $1000 in Kailu, in exchange for watching a cat during someones deployment. Who knows what you will find.

I've read other posts who have said they buy cheap, low mileage cars & ship them over (around $1050 from West Coast) then sell them at a profit when they're done using them. Personally, I think you need a car to explore the island or at least be willing to rent a couple days per month to explore and do major grocery shopping. You can't haul all your stuff from Costco on the bus.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 AM

10 posts, read 22,901 times
Quote:

A 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath apartment that takes a small dog deposit is $750/mo here. How much in Oahu?

Can you get furnished housing? How much more per month. Or are we going to Goodwill and buy junk to sleep on and then donate it back after 10 months? At Mizzou they we went to the auction house at the end of May otherwise known as "the student furniture exchange". We furnished a 3 bedroom house in 1970 for $35. Anything like that around the military bases or colleges?

really depends on your location. In town (Waikiki - Honolulu) you are looking at $1200 - $1600 per month, not very many "pet friendly" locations available, also as hotzcatz stated the quarantine laws here are pretty strict (check out Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture for more info regarding this). If you were to venture out into the "rural" areas of the island (particularly where zip codes begin with 967XX) you begin to see a little bit cheaper housing, anywhere from $800 - $1200, but understand the areas are the "bad places" of the island (to each its own, as a native I have never lived outside of any 967XX area...just depends on the type of person you folks are an the people you live near, as any other state). Vacation rentals are not something that I have looked into and do of course run on the higher end of the market particularly because they are in "prime locales" and come fully furnished.

There are also some pretty good deals here on the island regarding furniture on craigslist (I have bought a couch/3 beds/refrigerator/washer about 3 years back that we still have and use) for decent prices. I have no idea if they have "the student furniture exchange", but most furniture listings that I have found on craigslist are posted by military individuals and are in good shape.

As Joliefille stated...Costco's here is a big thing. Remember most produces do come from the mainland and you are not only paying for groceries you are paying for them to be shipped here. I would say $600 budgeted by individuals who are used to eating on a budget will do fine at Costcos! Get that meat on sale, separate, bag and freeze will get you through the month and leave money for those nights out! The boyfriend and I do that...though we have learned it is better to buy fruits and veggies at the local markets (better quality).

Well the humidity here is what kills! Everything sticks to you no matter what you are doing. I'm going to say that budgeting $250 a month for electric may work...if you don't have other types of gadgets running while you aren't at home. When and if possible...I would say forgo the A/C when you can deal with the heat...but otherwise you may want to budget an extra $100 just in case! If I am not mistaken I think that the electric company (HECO) has raised its prices twice this past fiscal year.

As a state worker for our welfare assistance here on Oahu, let me tell you firsthand that you are ineligible for those types of things. You may qualify for a Seniors Bus Pass at a discount (check out TheBus - Fares & Passes) for more information. I am not a "BUS" person myself as I used to catch the Bus here to school from Waianae to Kaneohe (you can mapquest that) a 3 hour bus ride. Traffic here is also a pain, a short 10 mile trip can take longer then an hour and a half at times. I am not aware of the school bus taking you to school with the children but I bet you could ask, nothing hurt nothing gained right!

There are car lots around the island that do offer cheap cars, mostly repos and bankruptcies (can't think of any name at this time sorry). Online I found A-1 Rent A Car (http://a-1.services.officelive.com/default.aspx - broken link) seems they offer monthly rentals. Check that out as well. I believe it is currently 50.5 cents per mile, at least it was what I was getting while I was going to training, and living out on the Westside(Waianae) and traveling to Honolulu every day for about 3 - 4 weeks I racked up about $275.

If you do end up buying a used car, most times if you resell it minus what you "put in to it" (mileage/dings/use) it is usually not a hassle. Many young locals are always looking for a "deal", you can think of it as a small return on an investment that you will no longer need!!!

I would say right now with a guarantee of a job that will allow you to enjoy paradise with 51K you may just make it! In total if my math is correct

$51,000/10=$5,100 per month(pm) minus $1,200 pm for rent minus $250 pm for electric minus $600 pm for food would leave you with $3,050. If you bought a car (seen a few listed today between $850 - $2350) you could be looking at $150 - $300 pm for gas, not to mention insurance. I believe if you are as thrifty as you say you are you 2 will do fine!

Hope this helped. Hoʻokipa i ka malihini!(to welcome a guest)

Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 AM

820 posts, read 3,040,383 times
Watch out for rental scams on Craigs List. Don't send anyone money who wants it via Western Union. If a fee has a weird name, like Renter ID, it isn't real.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the useful info. Got some more info about the school jobs. The school districts are the Leeward and Central School Districts. They do require we have transportation as traveling between schools is a requirement. That is essentially the west half of the Island we might have to drive around in between schools.

Question. Where are the higher density of populations in those districts. I would assume the southern end. Need to verify.

Looks like a max of 30 miles in any direction. What is the rush hour commute like going up the West Side and the Central valley roads. Any advantage of going one way or the other in the morning. Opposite the Rush Hour or is it the same going both ways?

Where would be a centrally located area for affordable housing?

Walpahu? Kunia? Mililani Town? Manana? Honowa?

Anybody have any special knowledge or tips? I like to rent on high ground in tsumami country.

Seems we just have to nail the 5 day or less criteria for the dog. Got the info.

Checking on leases vs just buying a couple of cars. Saw a $2500 beamer.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 PM

81 posts, read 209,231 times
Kapolei/Makakilo is where I would look if I were moving here, Kunia and Waipio are other good spots.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,238,893 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the useful info. Got some more info about the school jobs. The school districts are the Leeward and Central School Districts. They do require we have transportation as traveling between schools is a requirement. That is essentially the west half of the Island we might have to drive around in between schools.

Question. Where are the higher density of populations in those districts. I would assume the southern end. Need to verify.

Looks like a max of 30 miles in any direction. What is the rush hour commute like going up the West Side and the Central valley roads. Any advantage of going one way or the other in the morning. Opposite the Rush Hour or is it the same going both ways?

Where would be a centrally located area for affordable housing?

Walpahu? Kunia? Mililani Town? Manana? Honowa?

Anybody have any special knowledge or tips? I like to rent on high ground in tsumami country.

Seems we just have to nail the 5 day or less criteria for the dog. Got the info.

Checking on leases vs just buying a couple of cars. Saw a $2500 beamer.
I saw that Beamer, too. We're looking for a car for our daughter...but did you notice it had a V12?

Miliani is a nice town, if you want high ground. Plenty of shopping, nice neighborhoods. We like to live dangerously, with in walking distance to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu