Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM

32 posts, read 43,561 times

Advertisements

Aloha: I have attempted to determine exactly what the process is for titling what formerly was titled as a passenger vehicle and having that vehicle titled as an RV. Though titled "passenger vehicle" this is a small Bus used to shuttle folks at the airport in Kahalui, Maui....It is now currently on Oahu.

Firstly, in all of the reading I've done, burning more hours than I care to admit, on more sites than I could possibly number I have absolutely failed to find any information regarding this process. I have read DOT, DMV, HRS..........and have discovered nothing. Absolutely nothing that addresses this specific desire: What I believe I know is this.

That because the vehicle was first used as a commercial vehicle I need to rectify that, and have it recognized as reverting back to "private" or "passenger" status: Which requires paying a fee and filling out a form for an "exemption".

I am then required to get an exemption that allows me to have it safety checked: It is not clear as to whether this must me done at a "Commercial" inspection station, or whether in can done at any "inspection station". Once done I then take the "temporary certificate of inspection" to my local DMV where I register the vehicle, complying with those requirements. The DMV then gives me my registration, upon which time I return to the Safety inspection station, where they affix my "safety sticker".

That done I then have to make an appointment, take the vehicle, and get a "reconstruction" permit. Which I presume is when the vehicle will receive the designation as an RV. The only reason that I would under go that process is because insurance rates will be remarkably less, once this is officially acknowledged by the State. Of course, this will then require me going back to the DMV and changing title to reflect the new designation. You guys still there?

Is this for real? Have I overcomplicated this? Is this how it works? I own several buses, that are on the mainland. That I have done mild "conversions" on: Taking a bus to the DMV with the intended purpose of getting it titled as an RV takes a couple hours in the afternoon. This process seems cumbersome and lengthy and aggravating. Anyone out there have any insights to this process? Anyone out there from whom I can learn to expedite this process? I'm all ears. Aloha and Mahalo in advance for any of your experience or knowledge in this endeavor. It is a rather odd and strange position in Hawaii, where RV's are scarce..........I know shipping has much to do with that fact...............I looked for many years, until I found the vehicle that would be worth the effort: Only to find that that is not even half the battle. The battle is get the straight story as to what is required, and apparently proceed through a maze of state contrived stages to accomplish a simple task: For example: In Oregon, you take out the seats, throw in a piece of carpet, maybe a futon, a fridge, you drive to your local DMV, they walk out to the Bus, they check and record the VIN you walk back inside, pay your fee and you now have a "house car". Done...............Any brainstorming on this subject greatly appreciated. Moki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
Any brainstorming on this subject greatly appreciated.
What does the DMV say?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Is this helpful?

HB2456.DOC

Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Regarding the licensing, yes that procedure is correct for regular vehicles (assume it's the same for the bus). You go to a state inspection station (listed as such in the phone book or on-line). They do their "inspection", then fail the car. You take that paperwork to the DMV, who gives you the license plate. You take the plate back to the same inspection station, who then passes you and puts the inspection sticker on the vehicle. BTW, you will not get an annual reminder in the mail to do a new inspection, but you will need an inspection every year before you can get the plate renewal. After doing this the first time, every year after you just go to the inspection station and they put the new sticker on. Then you send in the paperwork with your renewal.

Agree with OpenD about calling the DMV directly about the conversion process.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
All I know about it is that the DMV in Hawaii appears to be extremely bureaucratic, and not in a nice way.

Also, the state is not geared towards RVs or any sort of camping vehicle or trailer.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Thank you very much for the post: I have no issue with that. However, this simply delves into the rather recent "onus" that prior to registering one must provide proof the vehicle has a place to be at rest on private property: Not a problem there. However, the article is silent as to the process, steps, required to get a vehicle titled, designated, as a recreational vehicle..........and that's what I'm looking for. I have phoned twice to the DMV and got a different story from each: I have e-mailed requesting they direct me to language in their statutes that will answer my question, or that they put me in touch with a "professional" who can give me a lucid step by step procedure: Prior to beginning this process, I would like to have the process in writing.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM

The process you relate is correct: However, the art of getting a vehicle once registered as a commercial vehicle back to private ownership as a passenger vehicle maybe satisfied by this, I know there is a form required that asks for an exemption: However, the aspect that is most unclear, is how to have the vehicle titled as an RV this will be necessary for Insurance purposes: As getting (bus) insurance is difficult and Costly. Whereas there are many vendors for RV Insurance.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Contacted the DMV twice by phone, was referred to DOT once, bottom line two divergent stories: Have contacted DMV via Email twice still waiting for response: Simply want them to provide me with data, specific to titling the vehicle as an RV and escaping the current/past registration as a commercial vehicle; I know this is not any other state in the Union, however, that's a reason not an excuse: Every other state, has contained in their Vehicle code a perfunctory set of requirements to accomplish taking a private vehicle into the status of an RV. The may have different requirements and designations: ie RV, Motorhome, House Car. But the process is spelled out clearly in their Vehicle Code: Not so here. That's the Problem.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Tip on how to maneuver Hawaii state run offices:

Call the Governor's office and ask for their assistance in locating the appropriate state agency that can give you the information. Then, take the names and phone numbers of who you talk to in your search, and let them know that you will be giving feedback to the Governor's office. The answers are out there, you just need to find the right people "in the know" and not be lead into a wild goose chase by clerks/staff.

If you are working with a county department, use the Mayor's office as a starting point.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Tip on how to maneuver Hawaii state run offices:

Call the Governor's office and ask for their assistance in locating the appropriate state agency that can give you the information. Then, take the names and phone numbers of who you talk to in your search, and let them know that you will be giving feedback to the Governor's office. The answers are out there, you just need to find the right people "in the know" and not be lead into a wild goose chase by clerks/staff.

If you are working with a county department, use the Mayor's office as a starting point.
That's too much trouble. Simply visit the appropriate office and provide them with a "Gift of Aloha" that's of "nominal value" (e.g. a box of manapua, malasadas, candy, cookies, etc.) and most of the clerks/staff will go out of their way to be extremely helpful.

The Hawaiʻi State Ethics Commission even offers advice on appropriate "Gifts of Aloha"...
http://hawaii.gov/ethics/pubs_guides...Guidelines.pdf

In the case of changing the title of a bus from a commercial vehicle to a recreational vehicle on Oʻahu, one of the "satellite city halls" should be able to handle that...
Satellite City Halls, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu