Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM

32 posts, read 43,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Better buy the "multi-pack" gifts, in case you keep getting told to go to the office down the hallway, or next building, or "hey, we don't do that here at the state, that is a county issue".
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I strongly suggest you drop this part of your spiel and never bring it up again. It's annoying and can not help you in any way. Matter of fact, it can only hurt you, since Hawaiians HATE being told "That's not how it is done where I come from."

It doesn't matter how it is done elsewhere. Period. You're not helping your case to keep bringing it up.

I'm sure the reason the process isn't documented is because historically there has been no real demand for it. Probably won't ever be, either. Have you noticed there aren't many RVs in Hawai'i? You're trying to do something unusual, so I suggest you just chill and be grateful for the help you get.

I strongly suggest that you not preach to me about what Hawaiians do or don't Hate: I go as I go, and I don't have a "spiel" and am problem solving: You don't like the way I conduct myself then just tune yourself out: In my last "spiel" expecting in advance that someone like you would interject your special commentary,I Intentionally addressed it in the context, of precisely your form of commentary not being needed. But you had to profess to know what "Hawaiians Hate". You should have taken your theory a step further, and expounded upon how Hawaiians Hate to be told what they Hate: I've been in these Islands since my birth, I have a pretty good idea of how it works: I sure don't need you to condescendingly apprise me of how I should or should not speak and what should or should not be said. And though there is not a process in place, does that not suggest that there should not be? Perhaps my experience will change that. Or at least allow me to help the next person who reaches this impasse. So unless you have something constructive to say that furthers the object of this exercise then I am inviting you out of any further patronizing: But you likely won't heed this admonishment. But don't expect the next intervention to be met with even the modicum of civility this post contains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM

"I'm sure the reason the process isn't documented is because historically there has been no real demand for it. Probably won't ever be, either. Have you noticed there aren't many RVs in Hawai'i? You're trying to do something unusual, so I suggest you just chill and be grateful for the help you get."

Have you noticed that you don't have anything to contribute to this topic? Do you understand how irritating and worthless any of your contributions are from my point of view? You obviously don't have any of the answers I am seeking: And you continue to present yourself as the equivalent of the conscience of Hawaii. Telling me that I should "chill", telling me I should not speak or say what I do, as "Hawaiians will Hate", or what has taken place "historically", or that I should "just be grateful for the help" that I get.

Nothing you have said has been in the least bit helpful, on the contrary, it has been biased, pompous, condescending, and without any constructive purpose. And for that? I am very ungrateful. So just Hele on, let folks who want to contribute to contribute: If you prefer to lecture, proselytize, or pepper the page with any more of your pretentious meanderings I suggest another thread.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times
I'll leave my advice, for anyone who reads this thread in the future, to work through the Governor's office or Mayor's office if they are presented with unsatisfactory answers when seeking state/county information.

I'm restraining myself from further postings in this thread, in the self-interest of keeping a smile on my face and good tidings in my heart.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
Firstly, in all of the reading I've done, burning more hours than I care to admit, on more sites than I could possibly number I have absolutely failed to find any information regarding this process. I have read DOT, DMV, HRS..........and have discovered nothing. Absolutely nothing that addresses this specific desire: What I believe I know is this.
You may be finding this daunting and difficult by virtue of making a left turn on Elm Street instead of Elmhurst Street. As a result, you may be seeking information and directions in the wrong town.

If the vehicle is less than 26,001 GVW, you register it the same as any passenger vehicle even though it was previously a commercial vehicle. It’s the same as you buying a used pickup truck that was once owned by a commercial business and now it’s your passenger pickup. Most shuttle buses are under 26,001 GVW.

Is the vehicle above or below the limit?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM

I contacted the Governors office this morning: I'm about getting to the bottom of this: What I know now is that A: There is no standardized process, codified, written, or policy statement from any entity on how to accomplish this: I do know that there are two separate entities that exercise some "oversight" in this matter: and they are exclusive of one another. These entities are the DOT and the DMV. State and City and County: Two entities that are exclusive of each other. Requisites from the DOT are thus:

Firstly it is the matter of a commercial vehicle being defined by weight and passenger capacity: Not particularly by Use: First step? One must apply to the DOT for an exemption. An exemption to the commercial qualifier of weight. This requires filling out a form, stating that the vehicle will be used for private use: Not use as a passenger conveyance, and educational vehicle etc. Once one has obtained this exception then one moves on to the next step.
That step is to get a safety inspection: This cannot be done at any State Inspection center: It must be done at a station that has on site and inspector licensed to license overweight vehicles; You take the vehicle t
here and get a pink that proves the vehicle has been inspected, though no sticker is affixed.
Thirdly you then return to the DOT and apply for a reconstruction permit. This reconstruction is aimed at getting the DOT to say/state that the vehicle is intended to be used as a Recreational vehicle. This requires that one pick up a "reconstruction" packet at DOT included in that packet is a form that one must have "notarized" including the interior dimension of the vehicle and what one's intended use is: That vehicle must then be taken to an authorized inspection site, where they ensure the vehicle is in compliance with submitted documents. It is from the "recon packet and affidavit" and Inspection of the vehicle that the DOT recommends its the vehicle as in compliance of an RV. DOT does not reconstruct title: The DOT may recommend at that time that the owner comply with obtaining a CDL again predicated not on use, but the weight of the vehicle.,

When this is all complied with and the recon permit is issued, it will have absolutely zero lawful affect on the licensing and registering agency that is the City and County of Honolulu: In other words DOT can make it's "findings" and the City and County maintains its prerogative to "register and title" the vehicle as they desire.

And that's the way it is: Keep in mind these steps must be complied with while the vehicle is incapable of obtaining legal status to be on the road under it's own volition. In other words for its safety inspection, under law, it must be towed to the inspection station, then returned by tow: When the vehicle is taken for its inspection required by the DOT for its reconstruction permit, again it must be towed there as well. And then towed again back to its Origin:

Then one gathers one's insurance for an RV, takes ones pink from the Safety Inspection, goes to the City and county to title as an RV and to Register. The fly in the ointment is that once this has all been complied with, as well as the expense of towing this vehicle all over town: There is absolutely no surety whatsoever that one will achieve the desired aim: A titled, Registered, Recreational Vehicle or Motorhome.

So this is what I have been told, as of this writing, this is the process as I know it: If I thought for a minute that a box of Malasada's would some how allow an escape from the maze in front of me, I'd likely buy shares in Leonards.................

Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 PM

That is an awesome question. And yes the Gross Vehicle weight is 26500lbs..........the unladen weight is 21500lbs per manufacturer. But I am with you all the way: Part of my scheme thus far, is definitely having the vehicle "scaled". The vehicle does not have a "passenger rating" as to how many passengers and seating: Fact is, as an airport shuttle most the space is allocated for baggage.

But you are, I believe, on the right track. I even ran this buy the guy I spent an hour with today.........especially after I got to the part where, even after complying with all that was expected there was zero assurance that the City and County would accommodate the "recon" RV finding of the DOT. I said...."so once I go through the exemption, the safety, and the "recon" does DOT change the title or issue a certificate?" This is when he tells me that they make a recommendation that the City will make ITS determination as IT see's fit. And I say" You have to be kidding, why wouldn't I be better served simply registering the vehicle like a passenger vehicle, as it's titled, get the exemption so I can take it to any State Inspection station and just register it as a passenger vehicle?" He says......"yeah..hm..yeah oh well you could do that." And then he adds "But if you ever got pulled over by the police, they would look inside and they'd want to see your recon permit." I laughed and laughed and laughed, and I said, "you mean to tell me, if I get pulled over by the police their going to look inside, see some tile work, a futon, an entertainment center and a fridge and their going to ask me for my reconstruction permit? Serious?" And I laughed some more...........really?

So you are on the right track: It is apparent that this "RV THING" is outlaw territory, no rules, no Law, nothing exists that speaks to this process. It seems the best avenue is to make one's own law with regard this: I will insure the vehicle as an RV. I will safety the vehicle and as you say I will take my paperwork and photo's to the DMV, hand them my insurance papers which will state that the vehicle IS an RV and show them the photo's of it, tell them that's the way I got it, ask them to please register and title it as an RV..........Worse case scenario, I can now travel the highways and by ways in my vehicle, and have to visit the whole DOT RECON THANG later..........First thing I will do is insure the vehicle, next thing will be safety.........If I get stopped in the interim I'll deal with it: But I will be insured and Registration will be a fix it ticket, as would Safety.........and see if the weight of an Insurance Policy issued to an RV will carry the day.............You are with me on this I think............Aloha

Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
I don't know a thing about titling an RV, but I do know quite a bit about getting things done in dealing with government employees, which is why I made the suggestions I made.

Attempts to resolve complex situations like you described can be made much easier, or much harder for you, depending on the attitude you project and the way you talk to people. On average you'll get more done, faster and easier, if you don't make public employees wrong, don't criticize what they do, don't argue with policies they didn't make, don't yell at them, don't laugh at them, and for sure don't tell them how it's done much better somewhere else.

Conversely, because public employees get so much crap thrown at them on a daily basis by truly unreasonable people, they are generally far more willing to go the extra mile for someone who expresses genuine appreciation and gratitude for the job they do. Not with a box of malasadas, no, but with a real connection and a heartfelt sense of appreciation.

And that's why I shared what I did, because I like to help people. My intention is to contribute to a solution, otherwise it's not worth the energy to write an answer to the question. If my answer doesn't work for you, it's easy enough to just walk on by. Overreacting to what I said pretty much proves the validity of what I was getting at.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,185,877 times
[[[[[[[.........I've been in these Islands since my birth, I have a pretty good idea of how it works: ........]]]]]]]]

I find myself wondering why, if you have a pretty good idea of how it works, you need to come around here and ask how to do it. Except maybe you relish a chance to insult people who are trying to help you?

I'll try to remember to not answer you in the future, but , alas, my memory is not all that good any more. So, if I ever do answer you with an answer that doesn't please you, I apologize in advance.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Brilliant...........enjoy yourself camping with Open D you can commiserate with one another about your absence of knowledge regarding the topic, and attempt to juxtapose that with your brilliance the both of you obviously possess in spouting off about anything and everything else. No one mandates you read or respond for that matter..........I didn't come to this thread to ask for editorials about me, public figures, or State employees........though what you think may have some validity and you may have a penchant for its expression, it is not the point of the exercise................So just don't bother: I'm sure there are an abundance of threads where the both of you can weave a highway of your vast psychological insights.............that will impress and please. I simply find it foolish unwarranted and off topic.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's too much trouble. Simply visit the appropriate office and provide them with a "Gift of Aloha" that's of "nominal value" (e.g. a box of manapua, malasadas, candy, cookies, etc.) and most of the clerks/staff will go out of their way to be extremely helpful.
Quote:
I rather like that.............I may give that a try......
Quote:
So this is what I have been told, as of this writing, this is the process as I know it: If I thought for a minute that a box of Malasada's would some how allow an escape from the maze in front of me, I'd likely buy shares in Leonards.................
Quote:
..though what you think may have some validity and you may have a penchant for its expression, it is not the point of the exercise....... I simply find it foolish unwarranted and off topic.
Right.

What I've noticed about public forums is that they're like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates... you just never know what you're going to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu