Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 years old and will be graduating from Penn State University in August '09. After graduation, I've made it my goal to move to Oahu for at least a year, ya know just for a little adventure I don't know anyone living there, but I've vacationed there a couple of times. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like to live there? Where would be the best place for a young, single girl to move to? I love the culture and am hoping to find something fun and laid back. How much would it be to get some place small, like an apartment? Any information anyone has about "the way of life" out there, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM

421 posts, read 2,534,723 times
Well your first mistake was graduating from PSU, and let me tell you what your second mistake will be...........Only kidding. I'm from northeastern pennsylvania so I love making fun of the PSU students and the education they receive out there. What are you graduating from PSU with, a marketing degree, business degree? I was just in Oahu for the 3rd time back in early November and I'm also thinking about moving there. I will tell you, it's rather expensive there. I was there 10 years ago in Oahu and I don't remember it being as expensive as it was this time around. Luckily I'm a dentist so I had some extra cash on me but from what I've read on this site many people have to work two jobs on that island to make ends meet. The housing there is quite expensive there too. One of guides on a bus tour told our group that most people in their 20's and 30's can't even move out and buy a home because it's so expensive there. Unless you have a degree or some sort of marketable trade there isn't much there when it comes to industry, and even that's a stretch. You really need a professional in order to find a good job there, and when I say professional I mean doctor, lawyer, nurse, teacher, etc......I wouldn't venture over there if it means just working in a hotel, because from what others have told me the hotels there aren't as much as they use to. Hawaii is taking a huge, and I do mean huge hit on the tourism. In fact, I just read yesterday that the 2010 Pro Bowl won't be played in Hawaii, and the game alone brings in close to $25million for the tourism industry.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
You won't be able to find a job that will support the kind of lifestyle you are probably used to. You might be able to find something that will support sharing an apartment, having a bus pass instead of a car and eating in a lot. Jobs are getting really scarce at the moment. Folks I know are out of work and can't find employment anywhere and they even have family here who can't find work for them either. Bring as much money as you can and rent on a monthly basis so when the money runs out you won't be stuck with a lease. Get a round trip ticket with an unspecified return date just in case, too.

How about a six month vacation instead of living here? Stay in a hostel, eat inexpensively and see how long you can make the money last?

Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,773 times
My family and I are considering a move to Oahu. I will be working in law enforcement and my wife will be looking for a job as a real estate paralegal. We have 2 children ages 4 and 6. If anyone can give some input on where to live that is safe and the schools are good. We dont live a lavish life style here and wouldnt expect things to change if we moved. We live in Massachusetts and know about high prices, lol. Not as much as Hawaii from what im told. Any advice will be appreciated!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM

44 posts, read 110,469 times
Shawn2213- search the forum and you'll find all kinds of questions/answers to your exact situation. Hawaii schools can be very much hit or miss. We've lived in Kailua for 18 months now and love it. Hawaii is expensive, but we can't imagine living anywhere else right now. Our kids are 6 and 9 and doing well in school. Just a quick recommendation - the only places we'd consider living here would be Kailua, Kaneohe, Hawaii Kai, and Kapolei (I work at home so commute isn't an issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: